Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deebo not retiring

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Deebo not retiring

James Harrison, 38, will play out final year of his contract
    3:07 PM ET
    Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

James Harrison, at age 38, is set to return to the Pittsburgh Steelers for a 13th NFL season.

"He's under contract for one more year," said Bill Parise, Harrison's agent. "We plan to honor that."

Harrison still reserves the right to bow out, and after the season he expressed uncertainty about coming back because of the grind of another NFL offseason. But Harrison's postseason meeting with coach Mike Tomlin was productive, paving the way for a return that would satisfy both parties.

Harrison has one year left on a two-year extension he signed before the 2015 season. He's due $1.25 million in base salary.

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said Tuesday he anticipates Harrison wanting to play again. "He teaches guys how to be pros," said Colbert about Harrison's locker room presence.

Harrison was productive in his Steelers return, registering 40 tackles, five sacks, two forced fumbles and one interception during the regular season despite playing slightly more than 50 percent of the defensive snaps. Harrison added two sacks in the playoffs, including three tackles for a loss in a divisional round loss to the eventual Super Bowl champion Denver.

With 76.5 sacks for his career, Harrison ranks 37th in NFL history.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14...th-season-2016

1 CB Vernon Hargreaves Florida 5-10 204
    2 DT Austin Johnson Penn State 6-4 314
    3 SS Jeremy Cash Duke 6-0 212
    4 LB Jaylon Smith Notre Dame 6-2 223
    6 WR Moritz Boehringer Germany 6-4 227
    7 OT Brandon Shell South Carolina 6-5 324
    7 RB Tre Madden USC 6-0 223

UDFA
    DE David Onyemata, LB Ian Seau, FS Jordan Lomax, CB DeAndre Elliott,
    QB Jeff Driskel, TE David Morgan, OG Spencer Drango, OC Mike Matthews

2015 MNF Executive Champion!

Legend
    Thank goodness we aren't stuck with Jarvis Jones as our only option at ROLB. Deebo with his cane are more capable

Really happy to hear this. One of my all time favorites, and he showed last year that he can still play.

Starter
    I, too, am happy about this.

Maybe the team can send him out on a high note.

Pro Bowler
    They need to rally around Harrison like they did for Bettis. Harrison seems very protective of Ben too. We need Ben to promise him a ring.

Maybe Fowler's report was a bit premature - quote below is from James on Twitter:

Hold up. It's 1 thing to want to come back but it's another to get the body back to where it needs to be. We'll see.

Hall of Famer
    ESPN must have confused his age with sack ranking. He is not 37th. He is 67th. If he got 5 sacks again this season he would be tied for 59th all time.

Hall of Famer
    I will savor this last year watching of watching 92 play football

I have enjoyed his career as much as any player who ever played for the steelers

Could it be said he had the most important single play ever in Steeler history (pic against AZ)?

I wasn't around for Immaculata Receptionarus, but I can see that being proposed as well. And not to say that one wasn't the best play ever, but ... JH's pic basically won us a SB.

Either way, I'm glad he's around to beat some young un's heads together in the locker room to show what the Steeler way is for another year!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    If he plays as good as last season, why not?

The modern NFL Defense is moving toward rotation in all positions, so having him around in a rotation is perfect. Does it mean not drafting an OLB this season? Probably. It probably gives Chickillio another chance to impress.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 10
    Wins- 2
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $60,050.00