Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Teams Inquiring about Mike Wallace

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    When negotiations start, the player inevitably asks for the moon, while the team tries to get him on the cheap. Over time, the ultimate number lands somewhere in the middle. Wallace and his agent would be stupid if he weren't asking for top dollar at this stage of the game.
    Starting high in negotiations is a perfectly normal tactic, but what Wallace is doing goes well beyond that. First his camp "leaks" the word that he is looking for Larry Fitzgerald money. To my knowledge, the only public comment Wallace makes about this news is a cryptic tweet that says not to believe everything you read...not exactly a denial and certainly not a clarification of the facts. If true, it violates the spirit of starting high in negotiations. It's the type of starting point that makes the other party accuse you of being high.

Now, Shefter is spoon-fed information that Wallace will not sign his tender and plans to forgo all off-season activities, absent a long-term contract. Whether this is actually his intention, or he is just publicly posturing with the media, it paints him to be an idiot of epic proportions. How does he think the franchise is going to feel about this position? How does he think the fans would respond? Other potential teams? He has nothing to gain and everything to lose.

If you want to [undeservedly] shoot for the moon in negotiations and/or threaten to take your ball and go home, then at least keep it in-house. Otherwise, all you do is alienate those around you. I think we can see the evidence of that on this board already. Hell, I can tell you straight-up that I would take a 2nd round pick for him at this point...I couldn't imagine saying that just a few weeks ago.
    Last edited by Flasteel; 04-13-2012 at 03:06 PM.

Administrator

User Info Menu

The Pats get 1st rounders for washed up players.

Certainly a team will give us a 1st rounder for Wallace. If so, I'd take the pick if it's clear Wallace & the Steelers are way off in negotiations.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel View Post
    Mike Wallace makes our team better. Mike Wallace makes Antonio Brown, Manny Sanders, Jerricho Cotchery, and Heath Miller better. Mike Wallace makes Ben Roethlisberger better. He takes the top off the defense. He opens up the underneath routes for all the other guys because teams have no choice but to roll coverage to Mike's side. He can score from anywhere on the field and that is an asset that not many teams have. He fell off in the second half last year but come on, he was playing with a QB who was playing on a broken frickin' ankle. Ben could put nothing on the deep balls and when he did he had limited accuracy. I agree that Mr. Wallace doesn't deserve Fitzgerald money but I would say something comparable to Vincent Jackson would be fair. The Steelers will find a way to keep both Wallace and Brown, they always find a way to keep the most important guys. This team is in somewhat of a transition but those are two that will lead the organization into the future. The WR's and Ben make this team a Super Bowl contender in a league that has turned more towards the pass. They need to find a couple of guys in the draft that can keep Ben upright and they will be as dangerous as anyone!!!

Alshon Jefferies would too

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Well, it's not Chadman's money to play with- so if he asks for $120 million, and the Steelers give it to him- fantastic. He gets rich, the Steelers remain as dangerous through the air as anybody- happy days.

The argument as to if he 'deserves' it or not is moot- if that is the market, then that's the price. If he finds nobody to pay him that, then that's not the market & he'll get his value reduced.

This 'hate' towards him, or the argument as to his worth is irrelevant. He's not taking YOUR money. He's not even asking for YOUR money. So why take it personally? Why get angry with him? It's not like he hasn't been worth the contract he DID play under.

Chadman would hate to see him line up against our CB's on gameday.

Indirectly, these players are asking for your money. The players are paid by the franchise and their owners. It's the fan base that provides the income for those franchises and likewise owners. Without fans, the NFL and likewise the franchises wouldn't exist.

Legend

User Info Menu

If the Steelers are going to listen they need to allow Wallace and his agent to talk to teams themselves.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    If the Steelers are going to listen they need to allow Wallace and his agent to talk to teams themselves.
    Wallace is a restricted free agent...his agent can talk to any team he wants (for 5 more days, at least).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Alshon Jefferies would too
    You're talking about a player that hasn't even played one down of preseason NFL football, and had plenty of issues at South Carolina!!! Was he not suspended from his team and did he not show up to the combine out of shape?? Yea, that sounds like exactly the player I want to help us get back to the Super Bowl!!

<a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    That's the problem with those high end, high cost vehicles. The maintenance costs can be prohibitive. Same with a receiver whose game is totally built on speed and lacks other critical key capabilities. One hammy tweak and the value of that fast WR drops much more than a lesser cost, more complete WR with a more complete skillset who can adjust and adapt.
    Now you see? There's the difference between you & Chadman...the sports car isn't Wallace, it's the Steelers offense...Wallace is part of the fuel...call him high-octane...where a guy like Cotchery is more your premium budget fuel..
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel View Post
    You're talking about a player that hasn't even played one down of preseason NFL football, and had plenty of issues at South Carolina!!! Was he not suspended from his team and did he not show up to the combine out of shape?? Yea, that sounds like exactly the player I want to help us get back to the Super Bowl!!

Jefferies doesn't have character issues. And didn't he run in the high 4.4 to low 4.5 range in the 40 at his pro day. Jeffery registered a 10-foot, 2-inch broad jump and 36.5-inch vertical leap. He measured at 6-foot-3, 213-pounds.

If he is out of shape, I'd love to see his #'s when he's in shape.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't understand why some believe the "leaks" are coming from the wallace camp.

the only place I have read that he wants fitz money was a report out of the bay area.