Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomlin-era bad personnel decisions

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    [URL]http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/10120/1054423-66.stm[/URL]

Penn State linebacker Sean Lee, who went to Upper St. Clair High School, appeared to be the player the Steelers were targeting in the second round after selecting Florida center Maurkice Pouncey with the 18th overall pick. They had a first-round grade on Lee and thought he fit the way they played better than any linebacker in the draft.

But, the Steelers did not think Lee would be available when it came their turn.

When he was, it seemed like an obvious choice. But coach Mike Tomlin really liked Worilds, an undersized defensive end in college who fit nicely as a disruptive outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense -- something the Steelers were lacking behind James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley.

What's more, the return of Larry Foote in free agency gave the Steelers four inside linebackers, along with James Farrior, Lawrence Timmons and Keyaron Fox. Even though Farrior is 35, the need for depth was more dire on the outside, not inside.

So they passed on Lee and selected Worilds.
    Yikes... let's add this one to the list.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

BTW, we were not lacking in depth at OLB at the time. Timmons was drafted to play OLB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

BTW, we were not lacking in depth at OLB at the time. Timmons was drafted to play OLB.
    He was? Are you sure?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yes.

Coach Mike Tomlin called Timmons "an outside linebacker who is capable of playing off the line of scrimmage ... on the tight end, has pass rush capabilities." He also has "the RH factor: He is a runner and a hitter and he is a Pittsburgh Steeler."

Tomlin also said firmly "we're a 3-4 team" and "he's a right outside linebacker."

[url]http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/07119/781991-66.stm[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    What do you think were the bad personnel decisions so far in the Tomlin-era? This includes drafting, coach selections, keeping players "past their time", cutting players, etc.

Personnally, I think the bad outweighs the good but I think Tomlin is getting a little better particularly w/ the draft and coach selections.
    Well, to be honest, its been said many times before that Colbert is the main man in the draft. Sure Tomlin and the coaching staff are a part of it, obviously, but early on in Tomlin's career, I would put the blame or praise on Colbert and not Tomlin. Coaching staff wise- he hired some losers over the years. Zierlein was one that comes to mind.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Well, to be honest, its been said many times before that Colbert is the main man in the draft. Sure Tomlin and the coaching staff are a part of it, obviously, but early on in Tomlin's career, I would put the blame or praise on Colbert and not Tomlin. Coaching staff wise- he hired some losers over the years. Zierlein was one that comes to mind.
    Not sure I agree. I think Tomlin came in and immediately started forming his team as he wanted it. I think he made the call to axe Porter as he was well aware Porter was the leader of the pack & didn't want any other voice to compete with. We dumped Porter for nothing in return & the guy went on to lead the league in sacks.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not sure I agree. I think Tomlin came in and immediately started forming his team as he wanted it. I think he made the call to axe Porter as he was well aware Porter was the leader of the pack & didn't want any other voice to compete with. We dumped Porter for nothing in return & the guy went on to lead the league in sacks.
    Porter had 1 good year after we got rid of him ... his 2nd year in Miami. He would never have been worth the money he was asking for. That was a great personnel decision in my book.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Porter had 1 good year after we got rid of him ... his 2nd year in Miami. He would never have been worth the money he was asking for. That was a great personnel decision in my book.
    I agree, although I did have fears that he would end up his career as Woodson did. That one still sucks.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Administrator

User Info Menu

Yes.

Coach Mike Tomlin called Timmons "an outside linebacker who is capable of playing off the line of scrimmage ... on the tight end, has pass rush capabilities." He also has "the RH factor: He is a runner and a hitter and he is a Pittsburgh Steeler."

Tomlin also said firmly "we're a 3-4 team" and "he's a right outside linebacker."

[URL]http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/07119/781991-66.stm[/URL]
    Good thing Tomlin wasn't hired for his judge of 3-4 OLB skills.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Good thing Tomlin wasn't hired for his judge of 3-4 OLB skills.
    I believe they drafted Timmons with the idea of placing him at OLB. No one could account for Harrison becoming one of the best OLB in the league. The coaches moved to plan B to get Timmons on the field. I don't believe one statement or judgement should sum up an individuals assessment skills. The team drafted a pretty good OLB in Woodley with Tomlin as HC.