Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomlin-era bad personnel decisions

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel View Post
    The 2008 Draft was not very good. It was the worst one since 1999 and the worst draft under the Colbert regime. Mendy is really the only stand out and there is questions about him as well, especially now with the injury. He never made the huge impact that we all expected, and if this is his last year in Pittsburgh his biggest play as a Steeler will be his fumble in the Super Bowl. In my opinion, if we go score there that game probably plays out completely different. Mundy is still on the team and is a solid contributor on special teams and sub packages but his last play is what we all remember.
    Agreed the 2008 draft doesn't score well long term but man, on draft day the idea of getting arguably the best RB in the draft and getting arguable a top 3 WR in the draft in the first two rounds was impressive. I know there were guys on here saying "Sweed in the first" and I was one that couldn't believe how well the first two rounds played out for us. Gotta love hindsight.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...asian07/RJ.jpg[/quote]

go to http://www.thebreastcancersite.com to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Huge thanks to AA for all the help with the signature.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim View Post
    Agreed the 2008 draft doesn't score well long term but man, on draft day the idea of getting arguably the best RB in the draft and getting arguable a top 3 WR in the draft in the first two rounds was impressive. I know there were guys on here saying "Sweed in the first" and I was one that couldn't believe how well the first two rounds played out for us. Gotta love hindsight.
    Yup...I was as excited for Mendenhall and Sweed with our first two picks as much as any 2 rounds of the draft that I can remember. Seemed like we were extremely fortunate at the time. Shows how much I know. Too bad...now I can't say that I've yet to meet my match on knowledge of this team.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Yup...I was as excited for Mendenhall and Sweed with our first two picks as much as any 2 rounds of the draft that I can remember. Seemed like we were extremely fortunate at the time. Shows how much I know. Too bad...now I can't say that I've yet to meet my match on knowledge of this team.
    Try this place

Attached Images Attached Images
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I completely agree. I thought both Mendenhall and Sweed were going to be beasts.

Back to the topic, here's my list:

1) Revis blunder may have resulted in the reach for Timmons. This wasn't a "bad" decision but seeing Revis in the B&G would have been a scary thought.
    2) Letting Kuhn go in favor of our "blocking" TE, David Johnson
    3) Larry Z
    4) Sean Mahan
    5) Bruce Arians - Not "reeling" Arians in.
    6) Kraig Urbik - Saw the talent to draft him but either didn't develop the talent and chose our current, older guys, over this younger talent. The result? Starting center for the Bills.
    7) Tony Hills - Took a long time to develop but wasn't bad. He showed in preseason that he could backup T and was possibly our best guard late into the preseason. Shortly thereafter, they released him. I'm still trying to figure this one out.
    Thinking Jonathan Scott could replace Max Starks. HUGE BLUNDER. Max Starks should have received 50% of Tomlin's pay last year because he likely saved the season from being a complete disaster and Ben potentially getting hurt much more than what he already did.
    9) Most of all... lack of development in our draft picks. I don't know if this is a coaching issue or a player issue. The Steelers always had players that you knew could replace an "older" player. Not so much anymore.... ILB, S, and NT ring a bell. Historically, I can remember us really needing 1 or 2 positions because of depth or lack of talent. I can't remember a time when I see either a severe lack of talent at certain positions or zero (literally) depth at a position.
    10) Overpaying for Kemo
    11) Overpaying for Willie Colon.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I completely agree. I thought both Mendenhall and Sweed were going to be beasts.

Back to the topic, here's my list:

1) Revis blunder may have resulted in the reach for Timmons. This wasn't a "bad" decision but seeing Revis in the B&G would have been a scary thought.
    2) Letting Kuhn go in favor of our "blocking" TE, David Johnson
    3) Larry Z
    4) Sean Mahan
    5) Bruce Arians - Not "reeling" Arians in.
    6) Kraig Urbik - Saw the talent to draft him but either didn't develop the talent and chose our current, older guys, over this younger talent. The result? Starting center for the Bills.
    7) Tony Hills - Took a long time to develop but wasn't bad. He showed in preseason that he could backup T and was possibly our best guard late into the preseason. Shortly thereafter, they released him. I'm still trying to figure this one out.
    Thinking Jonathan Scott could replace Max Starks. HUGE BLUNDER. Max Starks should have received 50% of Tomlin's pay last year because he likely saved the season from being a complete disaster and Ben potentially getting hurt much more than what he already did.
    9) Most of all... lack of development in our draft picks. I don't know if this is a coaching issue or a player issue. The Steelers always had players that you knew could replace an "older" player. Not so much anymore.... ILB, S, and NT ring a bell. Historically, I can remember us really needing 1 or 2 positions because of depth or lack of talent. I can't remember a time when I see either a severe lack of talent at certain positions or zero (literally) depth at a position.
    10) Overpaying for Kemo
    11) Overpaying for Willie Colon.
    A lot of those decisions are made by the FO. I'm not saying Tomlin isn't partially responsible but he doesn't sign the checks. Half the people you mentioned weren't that good and just because they are playing on other teams it doesn't mean we missed on them.

Funny thing is the first 2 or 3 years Tomlin was HC people kept saying he was a figurehead and wasn't responsible for the teams success... but a few years later people go back and blame him for every move made the first 2 or 3 years.

I think Tomlin deserves blame for BA (not reigning him in), Larry Z and the DB coach.....

Pro Bowler
    I understand he's "the man" and final decisions rest on him, but he's got to be able to rely on his coaches - O-line and O-coordinator when they come to him and tell him to cut Urbik and Hills or keep Scott over Starks. Those coaches are paid big bucks as well and are supossed to be the experts in their area. When the o-line coach says, "this guy can't block" the head coach probably takes him at his word. Now if that becomes a pattern, then it would be on Tomlin to get a new coach who knows what he's doing.

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    I was never a fan of taking mendenhall in the first and thought Ray Rice fit our team better. Also, taking Worilds over Sean Lee is all Tomlin as he overrode our draft board.

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I was never a fan of taking mendenhall in the first and thought Ray Rice fit our team better. Also, taking Worilds over Sean Lee is all Tomlin as he overrode our draft board.
    You may very well be right- but where did you get that information that Tomlin overrode the draft board??
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    You may very well be right- but where did you get that information that Tomlin overrode the draft board??
    Someone said it on a message board! It must be true!!!

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/10120/1054423-66.stm

Penn State linebacker Sean Lee, who went to Upper St. Clair High School, appeared to be the player the Steelers were targeting in the second round after selecting Florida center Maurkice Pouncey with the 18th overall pick. They had a first-round grade on Lee and thought he fit the way they played better than any linebacker in the draft.

But, the Steelers did not think Lee would be available when it came their turn.

When he was, it seemed like an obvious choice. But coach Mike Tomlin really liked Worilds, an undersized defensive end in college who fit nicely as a disruptive outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense -- something the Steelers were lacking behind James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley.

What's more, the return of Larry Foote in free agency gave the Steelers four inside linebackers, along with James Farrior, Lawrence Timmons and Keyaron Fox. Even though Farrior is 35, the need for depth was more dire on the outside, not inside.

So they passed on Lee and selected Worilds.