Thread: Two Number One Picks

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Two Number One Picks

What season and who were the players when, the Steelers had two number one picks ?

Legend

User Info Menu

Wow, great question, This had to be a very long time ago. I am going to give it some thought and will not use Google.

Legend

User Info Menu

I seem to remember this happening when Chuck Noll was here, early on? That is just the first dusty memory I had.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

The first pick was the RB from Georgia in the top 10...I think 8th overall...he was a big time bust...can't think of his name right now...that was a bad memory I must have tried to repress. I'm thinking his last name might have started with a "W" but I'm not 100% sure...it's driving me nuts that I can't think of it, and I'm using all of my willpower not to cheat via Google. It will probably come to my when I am driving in the car later and I'll want to slap myself for not thinking of it sooner. The second guy was late in the first...maybe 28th or so...offensive lineman Tom Ricketts. He wasn't much better than the RB. What a crappy draft to waste two 1st rounders. I think the year was 1988 or 1989. I'm gonna go with 89. Because we took the RB from Georgia with such an early pick that year, the next year, we traded back in the first with the Cowboys so they could get Emmitt Smith of all people (we just drafted a crappy RB high the year before, so we didn't need to draft a Hall of Fame RB the next year, right?). We ended up getting TE Eric Green that year instead. I remember all this, but not the stupid RB's name. Dammitall.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

If it was that year, the running back from Georgia was Tim Worley and he was a big time bust. Maybe we got Mark Benning as well. I think it was a RB and O-Lineman.

I did not use Google, but post above helped.

C-town

Legend

User Info Menu

Tim Worley is one of my FB friends.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

!989 Tim Worley runningback ist round pick. Good runner in college but his style did not fit the Steelers running style. Tim was an outside runner from what I recal but Noll, wanted him to be a power runner. Got in trouble with drugs while on the team and eventually ended up in Chicago. Didn't do very well there either and, I think he failed a drug test while being a Bear. I think his drug of choice was cocaine.

Tom Rickets was also a our second number one pick that same season. total big time bust. I ran into him on a jobsite and he was some companies rep. Nice guy and was impressed that I remembered him. I believe it was Andre risen that was upset the Steelers had taken rickets over him because he wanted to be a Steeler. risen also said Ricketts wasn't any good and would eventually have a short NFL career and the Steelers will be sorry that they passed him up for Rickets.

Risen would not have lasted long on the Steelers with his attitude but he was right about Rickets.