Thread: Before Noll ?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Before Noll ?

To whom did the Steelers offer the head coaching job to prior, to Chuck Noll ?

Legend

User Info Menu

I believe New England also offered him a head coaching gig later, which he accepted, but then changed his mind shortly thereafter.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You got it right Ruthless

Legend

User Info Menu

Who was the Steeler's coach before Noll? (no googling)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    Who was the Steeler's coach before Noll? (no googling)
    Fred Flintstone?
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Hmmm...the Johnny "Blood" McNally era was too long ago...not late 60's. I'll take a shot in the dark and say Walt Keisling.

(now I'm going to check on Google as soon as I submit this)...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Drat! Missed it!!! Of course, I was born in 1975, so what do I know. Interesting that Kiesling was the coach on 3 separate occassions, though (39-40, 41-44, and 54-56). Bert Bell's Steelers went 0-2 in 1941, then they switched to Aldo Donelli who went 0-5 in 1941, before handing the reigns back to Kiesling again late in the 1941 season...3 coaches in 1 year! I don't think even George Steinbrenner ever did that!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bill Austin before Noll

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    Bill Austin before Noll
    Correct, Fezzig. Good job!

Rookie

User Info Menu

I'll take a shot in the dark and say Walt Keisling.