Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cotchery Resigns 2 year deal

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    Wallace is under contract for next year...he has no choice but to play. Unless he signs a long-term deal with us or someone else, I guarantee he will be signing his one year tender. Otherwise, he'd be playing out his rookie contract. I'm not sure what that would be, but I'm guessing a whole lot less than the 1st round tender of $2.7M.

No, he's not under contract. He signed a 3 year contract, and that has expired. He is limited in terms of how and with which team he can sign, but he does not have a contract at this time and could sit this year without pay and without being a member of any team.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    No, he's not under contract. He signed a 3 year contract, and that has expired. He is limited in terms of how and with which team he can sign, but he does not have a contract at this time and could sit this year without pay and without being a member of any team.
    I heard somewhere that he has to play a certain number of games this year to reach the FA market next year. Is that true?
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler View Post
    I heard somewhere that he has to play a certain number of games this year to reach the FA market next year. Is that true?
    that may be true...there was a lot of talk about situations like that in past years with the CBA uncertainty. To become eligible for unrestricted free agency you need a certain amount of years played in the league - clearly Wallace hasn't reached that number - and you don't get credit for a year if you report to the team too late into the season. I think Vincent Jackson was the big example of this in past years.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You're right...my bad. I was thinking of the fact that he had to sign the tender and play or he can't achieve full free agency. The rookie contract is over, but he still has zero leverage and would be a fool to sit out.

Legend

User Info Menu

I become less and less enamored with Wallace as each day passes; I wish the front office could find a sucker, I mean another team and make a trade with them for their first, hell, I'd take a second for him at this point.

He's a typical Diva wide receiver that believes he is worth more than his performance dictates, trade him, be happy, move on and don't look back.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think talking about recievers as #1, #2, #3, #4, etc is oversimplifying. He was probably satisfied with the expected and potential roles placed in fron of him by coach Tomlin. Seeing this at the same time as Wallace threatening to sit out....well, i just lost a notch of respect for Wallace. Just get out there and play dude. Dont you love the game?
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Starter

User Info Menu

Here we go Steelers! Here we go!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is a negotiation. Of course, Wallace won't sign his tender and will make it look like he intends to sit out. That is really his only play if he wants a contract from the Steelers now. Just like when a car salesmen starts out with sticker price. He knows he likely won't get it, but he might as well try.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler View Post
    You're correct. Wallace has to play one more season to qualify for unrestricted free agency. If he sits out, he remains the property of the Steelers and is once again a RFA.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    that may be true...there was a lot of talk about situations like that in past years with the CBA uncertainty. To become eligible for unrestricted free agency you need a certain amount of years played in the league - clearly Wallace hasn't reached that number - and you don't get credit for a year if you report to the team too late into the season. I think Vincent Jackson was the big example of this in past years.
    Under the CBA currently you have to have 4 years of service to become an unrestricted free agent. Previously it was 5 years. Willie Colon is an example of what happen when there was no cap/CBA for a year. That rule went to 6 years before you could register for UFA. That was a clause to allow teams to keep there players during the uncertain time of the CBA ending.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!