Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign Leonard Pope

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steelers sign Leonard Pope

to a 1 year deal. Not bad.....not good...eh!!

Legend

User Info Menu

I like the signing. Pope is a very good blocking TE and while not a huge threat in the receiving game, he is an upgrade over the Matt Spaeth's of the world. If nothing else, the fact that he removes David Johnson from the field in two TE sets makes this an instant upgrade.

Legend

User Info Menu

Our first outside free agent signing this year! No word yet on what it is worth. In other Pope news, he did save a kid from drowning last year...so he has that, which is good.

Leonard Pope saves boy's life
    Updated: June 14, 2011, 2:21 PM ET
    ESPN.com news services

Kansas City Chiefs tight end Leonard Pope, whose nickname is "Champ," lived up to the moniker last weekend when he saved a 6-year-old boy from drowning in a swimming pool.

The Chiefs' backup tight end on Saturday saved the son of a longtime friend from drowning in his hometown of Americus, Ga.

"My heart dropped. It could have been any child ... I just knew I had to do something," Pope said in an interview with "ESPN First Take" on Tuesday. "I wasn't waiting on anyone else ... to try to pull him out. I just felt because I have kids of my own I would want someone to do that for my kids, also."

According to his bio on the Chiefs' website, Pope has two young daughters.

The boy's mother, Anne Moore, told the Americus Times Recorder that Pope was the only person at the party who knew how to swim. Pope said he learned how to swim when he was 9 or 10 years old.

"He saved my son's life, and I am so thankful that he was there for me and my child," she told the newspaper.

Pope jumped into the pool -- wearing all of his clothes, "cell phone, wallet and everything" -- and pulled her son, Bryson, from the water.

"I was coming out of the house, I heard Anne cry. She was like 'get, get him, he's drowning!' I couldn't see Bryson. All I could see was his fingertips at the top of the water and I couldn't see his head," Pope said.

The NFL's lockout turned out to be good fortune for Moore and her son.

"The fact that he is normally at camp and could have been in Kansas City just proved to me that he was placed here to save my son from drowning, and I thank God that he was here," she told the newspaper. "He truly lived up to his nickname 'Champ' because he was truly a champion for me and my son this past weekend."

The Chiefs are an organization that has dealt with a similar tragedy. It was 28 years ago this month that star running back Joe Delaney drowned while trying to save three children from drowning in a Louisiana pond. Two of the children died.

Information from ESPN.com AFC West blogger Bill Williamson was used in this report.
    [URL]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6661068[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like this signing. Hopefully keeps us from doing something stupid like drafting a TE in the first round.

Legend

User Info Menu

yipppeee. a backup TE with no receiving skills.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Coming out of Georgia he was he was considered a pretty good TE. Big target at 6 ft 8.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Rick Reilly penned more in-depth story about the potential drowning incident. I like that he has a charity to teach people how to swim...a very useful and potentially life-saving skill (whether it is saving your own life or the life of another)...much better than just throwing money at a charity without knowing for sure if the people who need it are actually benefitting...way to go, Champ.

I went to Cornell University, and one of the requirements for graduation is that you must pass a swim test. It is the first examination administered to all incoming freshmen, and if you cannot pass it, it is mandatory that your phys. ed. courses for that year are swimming lessons, which you must take until you can pass that swim test.

Leonard Pope to the rescue
    Updated: August 2, 2011, 1:30 PM ET
    By Rick Reilly | ESPN.com

Were it not for the NFL lockout, Kansas City Chiefs tight end Leonard Pope might not have been where he was needed most on June 11.

You might have not liked the NFL lockout, but Anne Moore did. The lockout saved her little boy's life.

On the afternoon of June 11, 6-year-old Bryson Moore wandered too far into the deep end of a pool at his cousin's birthday party in Americus, Ga. Soon he was sinking, face down.

Anne began to scream, "Get him! Get him! He's drowning!" But she didn't know how to swim. Neither did anybody else standing around the pool. All they could do was watch Bryson go under.

Inside, though, 6-foot-7 Kansas City Chiefs tight end Leonard "Champ" Pope heard the screaming and ran out.

A father of two girls himself, he was bent on doing something, but he couldn't see anything. Finally, he saw two little hands barely above the water. He dove in -- cellphone, wallet, keys, everything.

Pope went deep, brought Bryson up by his waist and handed him to his mother.

Bryson's mom didn't get a chance to thank Pope. She was too busy rushing Bryson to the hospital, where he would check out fine. By the time she got back, Pope was gone. She was so overcome that she stayed up all night staring at Bryson while he slept and thanking God for sending a man like Leonard Pope.

"If I'd had a million dollars," she later told Pope on the phone, "I'd have given it to you right there and then."

But here's the thing: Without the lockout, Pope wouldn't have been at the birthday party for his fiancée's 3-year-old cousin. He'd have been in Kansas City at a minicamp.

Thank you, greedy NFL owners everywhere.

Here's the other thing: According to a study conducted by the USA Swimming Foundation in 2009, nearly 70 percent of African-American kids and nearly 60 percent of Hispanic-American kids have "low or no ability" to swim, as opposed to 42 percent of white children. It doesn't get much better among African-American adults, either.

"It's amazing how many people have come up to me since this all happened and admitted they can't swim, either," says Pope, who learned at 9. "Fully grown people! It's crazy. There have been two drownings here in Kansas City since it happened."

What Pope didn't know when he dove in is that another Kansas City Chief never learned to swim and it cost him his life.

On June 29, 1983, Chiefs star running back Joe Delaney heard the screams of three young boys sinking fast in a Monroe, La., pond. Delaney couldn't swim, but he dove in anyway. He was able to save one of the boys, but not himself. Delaney died that day with the other two boys.

Pope is very much like Delaney was. Delaney would cut the lawns of old people in his neighborhood just because he knew they couldn't do it. Pope is like that. He checks in on old people he knows, just to make sure they're OK. When the hospital in Americus was smashed by a tornado, Pope jumped in head-first and helped raise $35,000 to fix it.

Pope didn't know Delaney's story, but he did know about Cullen Jones, only the third African-American to make an Olympic swimming team. Jones, who won gold in the 4x100m relay in the 2008 Beijing Games, didn't take up swimming until after he nearly drowned at a water park at 5 years old and had to be resuscitated by lifeguards. His mom made him take lessons the next week.

And young Bryson?

"No, he hasn't wanted to go back near the water since," Pope says. "But he'll learn to swim, once he gets over the shock."

His mom says Bryson gets panicky when she even drives in the direction of that swimming pool. But so many people have come up to her and said, "Because of you, I'm taking my child for swimming lessons" that she has decided to offer Bryson a deal. "If you take lessons, I'll take them with you," she told him.

Maybe that's why Pope is now giving free swimming lessons to kids through his foundation -- C.H.A.M.P. Jones is doing the same, as part of USA Swimming's "Make a Splash" program.

After his dive, Pope became a hero in this country, only he didn't know it. His phone was ruined, and he didn't get a new one for a week.

"I was having to borrow people's phones at the airport," he says. "Perfect strangers. I finally called my girl, and she said, 'Where have you been! Call your agent! Call your auntie! Everybody wants to talk to you!'"

Funny about Chiefs players. Remember three summers ago, in Huntington Beach, Calif., when another Chiefs tight end -- Tony Gonzalez -- saved a man who was choking to death on a piece of steak by applying the Heimlich maneuver?

"[His girlfriend] was screaming, 'He can't breathe, he can't breathe!'" Gonzalez, now on the Atlanta Falcons, said at the time. "The whole restaurant was quiet. Nobody was doing anything. Then I saw he was turning blue. Everybody in the restaurant was just kind of sitting there wide-eyed."

Say what you want about pro athletes, but if you're in trouble, they're very handy to have around. Not only are they genetic superhumans but they've been trained to react in an instant, to jump in where others fear to go and to execute flawlessly in chaos, whether it's a double-reverse handoff or a mother screaming for her drowning child.

Anne Moore knows it. She says Leonard Pope was born to be a hero.

After all, she says, "his name is Champ."
    [URL]http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/6826698/rick-reilly-leonard-pope-heroics/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yay more tight ends! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Run the ball! Yoi!

Legend

User Info Menu

Todd Haley bringing in the big guns from K.C................
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'll take Pope. It will give us a big blocking TE which will allow Heath to go out more.