Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: LeBeau facing critical year in 2012

Legend

User Info Menu

Sorry Ike but I disagree.. Willis was out a few games and the 49ers D was pretty impressive without him. Ed Reed doesn't play on the LOS because he doesn't have to..

The real issue is Troy in 2009 I believe... missed 3/4 of the season with an injury and we didn't have an INT until he returned. Our D can't create TO's... and we are pretty horrible on 3rd and take your pick.

I feel better when it's 3rd and 3 then when it's 3rd and 9. Just feels like our D isn't doing what we are used to... it happens but it's Pittsburgh. Our D should always be dominant IMO.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers defense gave up less points then any team in the league last season. Out side of creating more turnovers, I don't know how it can get any better then being number 1 in ppg. I believe the pressure, sack numbers, and turnovers would had been better if Harrison and Woodley didn't miss several games. I believe if those two players can perform up to the level of expectation, those numbers will increase this season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    The Steelers defense gave up less points then any team in the league last season. Out side of creating more turnovers, I don't know how it can get any better then being number 1 in ppg. I believe the pressure, sack numbers, and turnovers would had been better if Harrison and Woodley didn't miss several games. I believe if those two players can perform up to the level of expectation, those numbers will increase this season.
    Isn't that of first importance for any Defense- keep the other team from scoring?? Field position, splash plays, turnovers, etc are all cherries on the sundae (maybe chocolate syrup and whipped cream too). Let's not forget the #1 thing a D needs to do.

Man, are we spoiled...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Sorry Ike but I disagree.. Willis was out a few games and the 49ers D was pretty impressive without him. Ed Reed doesn't play on the LOS because he doesn't have to..

The real issue is Troy in 2009 I believe... missed 3/4 of the season with an injury and we didn't have an INT until he returned. Our D can't create TO's... and we are pretty horrible on 3rd and take your pick.

I feel better when it's 3rd and 3 then when it's 3rd and 9. Just feels like our D isn't doing what we are used to... it happens but it's Pittsburgh. Our D should always be dominant IMO.
    So I think what you are saying is aside from Troy we don't have very good players on D. I'm just wondering how that is DL's fault. Face it, our defense is good when we consistently put a lot of pressure on the QB. When we do that QBs make mistakes and we get the splash plays. We don't have DBs who step in front of receivers and intercept the ball. We have guys who sit in the zone and pick off errant passes the QB makes. No pressure, no errant passes, therefore no turnovers.

The reason we didn't get the pressure on the QBs last year I believe is because we started out the year with Harrison hurt and then midway through the year Woodley got hurt. Those 2 guys are the ones who get after the QB. With those 2 guys healthy, Timmons playing his natural position and Heyward getting more playing time should help us in this regard. We will recover nicely on the turnover situation next year.

Who knows ... maybe the offense will even be good.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

We don't really blitz anymore. It makes me laugh when I hear players and media say "I wonder what defenses Dick LeBeau will dial up next".

If anything, much like our offense, our defensive scheme is predictable and stale. The only blitz we really do is anymore is Timmons or Farrior up the middle.

Unless it's a 1st down play in the red zone we rarely send a corner or Clark. Troy pretty much has free reign to do what he wants when healthy. That's the only real issue teams have to game plan against: Where is Troy?