Thread: Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger using a European golf tour as prep for ’12 season

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger using a European golf tour as prep for ’12 season

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger using a European golf tour as prep for ’12 season
    Martin Rogers

By Martin Rogers, Yahoo! Sports
    [url]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AomvsA4cnyll4V_TAqd5ycpDubYF?slug=ro-rogers_ben_roethlisberger_steelers_golf_ireland_04 0612[/url]

NEW YORK – Ben Roethlisberger will prepare himself for the new NFL season by embarking upon an extraordinary golfing marathon he believes will sharpen his focus in advance of the 2012 campaign.

The Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback is heading to Ireland and Scotland in June, where he will play some of the finest and most difficult courses in the world. But Roethlisberger insists the trip is not simply about recharging his batteries over the summer; it is designed to provide him with a mental challenge that will serve him well once football rolls around again.

“It is going to be pretty hardcore,” Roethlisberger told Yahoo! Sports. “I will be playing something like 12 courses in 10 days and they are some of the very best ones that you can find. I’m going to the K Club, St Andrews, and a bunch of others.”
    Big-Ben-GstoryGolfireland.jpg
    The K Club, just outside the Irish capital of Dublin, hosted the 2006 Ryder Cup, and St Andrews is renowned worldwide as the spiritual home of golf.

Of the 12 courses, several have hosted either the British Open or European Tour events. Roethlisberger is an avid golfer and once dated LPGA star Natalie Gulbis.

“Golf is such a mental challenge, and as frustrating as it can be sometimes, it can definitely make you stronger,” said Roethlisberger, who passed for 4,077 yards last season. “Playing some great courses in a setting like Ireland and Scotland will be pretty awesome, but it is also a great way to keep your mind sharp.

“You really have to think your way around and get the grips with the course and the difficulties it offers you. I am a pretty cerebral guy, so it is perfect to have that kind of activity in the offseason that keeps your brain ticking.”
    Big-Ben-Gstoryireland.jpg
    Last season ended in disappointment for Roethlisberger and the Steelers as they suffered an overtime defeat to the Denver Broncos in the AFC wild-card game. Big Ben hobbled into the game with a bad ankle injury among other ailments and the road to physical recovery has been painful.

“Normally you finally start to feel good physically, and then training camp starts and it begins all over again,” Roethlisberger said. “This time it has been a bit tougher to get myself right but I will be good and ready to go.

“Any time your season ends like that you have just got to get over it. Come back stronger the next year and make sure you get better.”

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Administrator

User Info Menu

"I am a pretty cerebral guy, so it is perfect to have that kind of activity in the offseason that keeps your brain ticking.”

You weren't so cerebral when you didn't wear a helment when riding a sports bike. You also weren't so cerebral when you made poor decisions that resulted in sexual assault accusations.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    "I am a pretty cerebral guy, so it is perfect to have that kind of activity in the offseason that keeps your brain ticking.”

You weren't so cerebral when you didn't wear a helment when riding a sports bike. You also weren't so cerebral when you made poor decisions that resulted in sexual assault accusations.
    It was still cerebral ... he was just thinking with the wrong head.
    http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7648/newwallacesig.gif

Legend

User Info Menu

Accusations are meaningless. McNulty was a loon and he didn't come close to raping Miss DTF based on the actual evidence instead of the media's witch hunt.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
    It was still cerebral ... he was just thinking with the wrong head.

how could Ben do something like that? he is probably the first man ever to have used poor judgement as a result of allowing the wrong head to do his thinking
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Using GOLF to prepare for the upcoming football season? It looks as if Ben's marriage is in full swing and he'll use any excuse to get out of the rough.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

As much as I love Ben as our QB when I think of him and his playing style "cerebral" never enters my mind. When I think of Ben it's as an athletic quarterback. When I think of a cerebral QB it's someone like Peyton Manning.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Administrator

User Info Menu

I don't mind golf but to say that this will prepare him for the '12 season is a bit of a stretch.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I don't mind golf but to say that this will prepare him for the '12 season is a bit of a stretch.
    I'm going to have to try running this by my boss. See if he'll sign off on me going to Ireland and play golf to help me focus.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

just say you are playing golf...