Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ramon Foster Signs His Tender

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I haven't seen anyone saying we can't improve at OG, but at what cost? Last year we were told that drafting a guard in the 1st round was foolish, and now this year, its a great idea.

personally I believe the bigger issue is at LG and would love brooks for that spot and would spend our 2nd to get him. I have been on record that I believe Foster is fine at RG. Other places and things I read say the same, but here he has a few very vocal critics. Could Foster be upgraded? Sure he could, but at what cost again? OG is not the only hole on this team. Some seem to want probowlers and high draft picks at every position and that is just not possible in the salary cap NFL.

I would agree that LG is the most immediate priority to replace, but we can continue to disagree about Foster. He is serviceable at best but many of the failures in short yardage were as much him failing to move his man as Kemo or Legursky.

There is a reason that no one signed Foster or Legursky as a RFA even though they would have essentially not had to give up any compensation in return. They just aren't that good. We have just become so numb to bad OL play we accept what they do.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I haven't seen anyone saying we can't improve at OG, but at what cost? Last year we were told that drafting a guard in the 1st round was foolish, and now this year, its a great idea.

personally I believe the bigger issue is at LG and would love brooks for that spot and would spend our 2nd to get him. I have been on record that I believe Foster is fine at RG. Other places and things I read say the same, but here he has a few very vocal critics. Could Foster be upgraded? Sure he could, but at what cost again? OG is not the only hole on this team. Some seem to want probowlers and high draft picks at every position and that is just not possible in the salary cap NFL.
    I don't think anyone is saying draft a RG in Rd 1. LG is a priority and the way Steelers are looking at OT, i think Steelers might draft another OT in early rounds (rd1-rd2) of the draft and if he can play then they will most likely slide Colon to RG position.

Right now O-line is a mess. Steelers have a LT who has never played a game at LT. There is no LG. Steelers have a RT who has played 2Q in past 2 years.Steelers don't have anyone to protect the blind side of their 100 million dollar investment.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I would agree that LG is the most immediate priority to replace, but we can continue to disagree about Foster. He is serviceable at best but many of the failures in short yardage were as much him failing to move his man as Kemo or Legursky.

There is a reason that no one signed Foster or Legursky as a RFA even though they would have essentially not had to give up any compensation in return. They just aren't that good. We have just become so numb to bad OL play we accept what they do.
    Even though we would not have owed another team any compensation if they signed Foster or Legursky as RFA's, we still had the option to match those contracts to keep them. So, basically, another team would be doing our negotiating for us, and we'd end up keeping the player anyway (unless it was cost-prohibitive, of course, but then again who is going to give a big money deal to Foster or Legursky that we wouldn't be able to match?)
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    In this era of the NFL? Guard play is VITAL.
    Center > Guard. See Sean Mahan
    after we lost Hartings our guards haven't looked good.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I do feel that we need a LG terribly. No offense to Bronc, but really, he's not a LG. I have no problem with Foster... though I personally believe he should be our starting RT and Colon should have been shipped out a while ago.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    That should held help. But, LT is often quite difficult and he won't have Heath to help him as much. I believe he can do it (though it likely will be a rough start to the season). But with Jon Scott as the backup plan for both Gilbert and the fragile Willie Colon, it does not inspire confidence.

The Steelers sure seem to be putting some effort into looking at tackles. They may even be toying with the idea of taking Mike Adams (who doesn't even seem like a Steeler type).
    I agree. I have more faith in Gilbert learning and putting in a full season at LT than I do in Colon returning and playing RT. We definitely need a lot of help at both guard and tackle.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying draft a RG in Rd 1. LG is a priority and the way Steelers are looking at OT, i think Steelers might draft another OT in early rounds (rd1-rd2) of the draft and if he can play then they will most likely slide Colon to RG position.

Right now O-line is a mess. Steelers have a LT who has never played a game at LT. There is no LG. Steelers have a RT who has played 2Q in past 2 years.Steelers don't have anyone to protect the blind side of their 100 million dollar investment.
    To me it isn't so much about RG or LG as it is about getting an NFL caliber starter on the field. Legursky = backup. Foster = backup. If Zeitler, Glenn, Decastro, Osemele, or whoever we get is a starter then we put one more starter into a starting position.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    To me it isn't so much about RG or LG as it is about getting an NFL caliber starter on the field. Legursky = backup. Foster = backup. If Zeitler, Glenn, Decastro, Osemele, or whoever we get is a starter then we put one more starter into a starting position.
    NFL Caliber Starter is the key. Currently we have 2 backup OG playing as starter on O-line. I think Colon can be moved to RG if Steelers can find a RT in this draft.

Gilbert-Brooks-Pouncey-Colon-Glenn would be my O-line in 2012.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    There you go again, forging new frontiers in the PS world.
    That's me to boldly go where no man has gone befor

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.