Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Name some off the radar 1st round possibilities.

  1. #1
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cincitucky (Stinktown, U.S.A.)
    Posts
    4,039

    Name some off the radar 1st round possibilities.

    When the Steelers selected Ziggy Hood and to a lesser degree when they selected Cam Heyward, I think many of us were a bit surprised. The Steelers often conceal their first round targets quite well (and sometimes not so well - like Revis). Who are some some candidates for surprise Steelers first round pick this season?

    I'll start with one.

    Nick Perry.

    Perry is a little small (shorter 6'3, shorter arms for his height, and only 250 pounds) for a 4-3 DE. His best value is likely at 3-4 OLB. Perry is a tenacious pass rusher with great first step quickness and get off. Perry is still developing as a pass rusher but shows good instincts, defends the run very well and shows good anchor strength to set the edge. He seems like a hard working, high motor steeler type of guy. He could be drafted this season and be groomed as Silverback's replacement while contributing as a rotational nickel pass rusher and special teams guy. This is not a sexy pick. But, this is a Steeler-type pick as he has the right work ethic, motor, and long term value to be potentially the BPA at 24.

    Others?
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

  2. #2
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,859
    Kevin Zeitler for OG. Experienced blue-collar type, multiyear starter from a major program in a major conference. Reputed to be the anti-Kemo...in other words very smart. Could plug him in at Guard for 10 years.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  3. #3
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,271
    Mercelius from Illinois, OLB if they aren't sold on our current backups.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...asian07/RJ.jpg[/quote]

    go to http://www.thebreastcancersite.com to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

    Huge thanks to AA for all the help with the signature.

  4. #4
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,588
    Lamar Miller, RB from Miami....very Jamal Charles like...remembering that the Steelers RB stable consists of 1 broken 1st round RB that might not play for a majority of the season, 2 UDFA's with a combined 2 starts to their name (or is it 3?), 1 6th round RB that has proven nothing & 1 7th round RB that didn't make it out of TC before being seriously injured.


    How confident do you really feel with that group?
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  5. #5
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Lamar Miller, RB from Miami....very Jamal Charles like...remembering that the Steelers RB stable consists of 1 broken 1st round RB that might not play for a majority of the season, 2 UDFA's with a combined 2 starts to their name (or is it 3?), 1 6th round RB that has proven nothing & 1 7th round RB that didn't make it out of TC before being seriously injured.


    How confident do you really feel with that group?

    I'm hoping Terrance Ganaway from Baylor gets a look at RB.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  6. #6
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I'm hoping Terrance Ganaway from Baylor gets a look at RB.
    But Ovi, you're talking about adding another late round RB to the mix. These guys are late round RB's for a reason...not saying they are all doomed to fail, but the odds are stacked against them.

    Also, Ganaway's NFL player comparison on CBS- Isaac Redman. We already have that guy..
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  7. #7
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    But Ovi, you're talking about adding another late round RB to the mix. These guys are late round RB's for a reason...not saying they are all doomed to fail, but the odds are stacked against them.

    Also, Ganaway's NFL player comparison on CBS- Isaac Redman. We already have that guy..
    I just think the reality is that we have more pressing needs in Rounds 1-3. If we don't fix the OL then it won't matter who the RB is because there won't be any holes for them to run through just like the last 3 years. I think Miller will be gone before our pick in Round 3 so I look at a guy like TG as good value later in the draft.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  8. #8
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I just think the reality is that we have more pressing needs in Rounds 1-3. If we don't fix the OL then it won't matter who the RB is because there won't be any holes for them to run through just like the last 3 years. I think Miller will be gone before our pick in Round 3 so I look at a guy like TG as good value later in the draft.
    Miller would have to go at #24 for the Steelers to get him. Pead at the 2nd round selection.

    People have a funny scence of 'need'- you don't think having zero proven, healthy RB's on the roster presents a problem?? Particularly when Arians was fired for not adhering to the Rooney's desire to improve the running game?
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  9. #9
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Miller would have to go at #24 for the Steelers to get him. Pead at the 2nd round selection.

    People have a funny scence of 'need'- you don't think having zero proven, healthy RB's on the roster presents a problem?? Particularly when Arians was fired for not adhering to the Rooney's desire to improve the running game?
    I think RBs are a dime a dozen in the NFL especially as there is more passing in 1st and 2nd down. The Packers won the Super Bowl two years ago with nothing at RB. The Pats made it to the Super Bowl last year with essentially nothing at RB. RBs have become a commodity. You don't need to have a star.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  10. #10
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think RBs are a dime a dozen in the NFL especially as there is more passing in 1st and 2nd down. The Packers won the Super Bowl two years ago with nothing at RB. The Pats made it to the Super Bowl last year with essentially nothing at RB. RBs have become a commodity. You don't need to have a star.
    While the Patriots used Green-Ellis & Woodhead as their main RB's last season, they also had 2nd & 3rd round RB's drafted in last years draft- so while they lucked out on 2 nuffy RB's, they still have insurance in the way of higher quality (potentially) RB's on the roster in Vareen & Ridley. The Packers even added a RB in Round 3 last season. And the year they won the SB they had Ryan Grant running for them- a proven RB.

    Right now, the Steelers have NO proven, healthy RB on the roster. We've convinced ourselves Redman is the answer...based on what? We like him better than Mendy, therefore he's good enough??
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •