Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Name some off the radar 1st round possibilities.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    While the Patriots used Green-Ellis & Woodhead as their main RB's last season, they also had 2nd & 3rd round RB's drafted in last years draft- so while they lucked out on 2 nuffy RB's, they still have insurance in the way of higher quality (potentially) RB's on the roster in Vareen & Ridley. The Packers even added a RB in Round 3 last season. And the year they won the SB they had Ryan Grant running for them- a proven RB.

Right now, the Steelers have NO proven, healthy RB on the roster. We've convinced ourselves Redman is the answer...based on what? We like him better than Mendy, therefore he's good enough??
    I haven't drank the "underdog" kool aid and convinced myself that Redamn is anything but a back-up but I have convinced myself this is a critical year to fix the OL or we won't have a QB. If we don't protect Ben whoever else we have in the backfield won't matter. We aren't going to the play offs.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I haven't drank the "underdog" kool aid and convinced myself that Redamn is anything but a back-up but I have convinced myself this is a critical year to fix the OL or we won't have a QB. If we don't protect Ben whoever else we have in the backfield won't matter. We aren't going to the play offs.
    And that brings the argument back to value..pretty sure we can get quality starting-type OL in Rounds 2-4, but the drop-off from the top 4-5 RB's to the rest is quite significant.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Lamar Miller, RB from Miami....very Jamal Charles like...remembering that the Steelers RB stable consists of 1 broken 1st round RB that might not play for a majority of the season, 2 UDFA's with a combined 2 starts to their name (or is it 3?), 1 6th round RB that has proven nothing & 1 7th round RB that didn't make it out of TC before being seriously injured.

How confident do you really feel with that group?
    Like Miller too and he makes sense. The Brass showed interest at the Miami proday on the offensive side of the ball. With the attendees in mind...You would think Miller & Washington were being looked at very hard.

Also like Perry. Pass rushers are hard to pass up.

Zeitler is on my wish list...But he would have to be in a trade down or out of the 1st. I'm would have thought Fleener would have been your choice O. He would be a very good choice if stuck at #24.

Barron wouldn't surprise me in the least either. You would think Clark's contract and his age will be one that is looked at going into 2013.

That all being said, At BPA....if a Floyd, Gilmore, or Fleener drop...You have to pick one of those. Steelers philosophy of grade trumps need in the 1st round...Has done them right. For everyone saying the Steelers have bigger "needs" to be addressed....The Steelers have shown they don't think like that. I'm surprised so many of you still say that about the 1st round. If they feel the "need" is so pressing...They won't reach. They will do what Ruthless suggest in his mock and go get their guy "ala Decastro". If they like a guy based on need and they feel he could be taken later...They will try to move back. For those of you who know the Steelers history...You see what addressing needs gets them in the draft. Many of the 2nd round picks since 2000 were to address need...And many of them turned out as disapointments. They are batting around the .500 mark in the 2nd and pretty darn close to batting 1,000 in the 1st staying with their philosophy.

We don't see their board and how their grades fall. I'm not sure how the Steelers set up their board but many teams "tier" the players in groups of 10. If a player the Steelers grade in tier 2 of the 1st round falls to them at #24...Be Dam sure everyone in the war room will be sitting up in their chairs. Whether it be to discuss that player on their roster or answering the phone to move back to target their guy...That player(s) will be the topic of discussion. They won't discount he is still on the board because he doesn't fit their need.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 04-05-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Starter

User Info Menu

I would not be upset with Amini Silatolu.
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think RBs are a dime a dozen in the NFL especially as there is more passing in 1st and 2nd down. The Packers won the Super Bowl two years ago with nothing at RB. The Pats made it to the Super Bowl last year with essentially nothing at RB. RBs have become a commodity. You don't need to have a star.
    We should really put an end to that saying...RBs are a "dime a dozen". Steelers were blessed with Parker. Seem to have a good football player in Redman. You can bring up Foster & Jackson on other rosters. Those gems are found every now and then at every position. Hard facts are out of the Top 20 RBs last year...85% of them were drafted in the 3rd round or higher. 50% of them were 1st rounders. There were 10-1st, 4-2nds, 3-3rds, 1-5th, and 2-Undrafted. Do you really want to play those odds for a player who will touch the ball 40%-50% of the offensive plays? Mendy is out. He was solid but not "spectacular". The dynamics of the offense can elevate with a big play RB and some help on the OL. This draft is deep on the interior OL outside of the 1st. If you want a very good OT you have to get them early. If you want that big play RB....Chances are you have to get him early too. The Steelers are filled with "dime a dozen" RBs right now...With the exception of Redman...The rest may never be more than that. 31 other teams felt that was the case on all of them.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    We should really put an end to that saying...RBs are a "dime a dozen". Steelers were blessed with Parker. Seem to have a good football player in Redman. You can bring up Foster & Jackson on other rosters. Those gems are found every now and then at every position. Hard facts are out of the Top 20 RBs last year...85% of them were drafted in the 3rd round or higher. 50% of them were 1st rounders. There were 10-1st, 4-2nds, 3-3rds, 1-5th, and 2-Undrafted. Do you really want to play those odds for a player who will touch the ball 40%-50% of the offensive plays? Mendy is out. He was solid but not "spectacular". The dynamics of the offense can elevate with a big play RB and some help on the OL. This draft is deep on the interior OL outside of the 1st. If you want a very good OT you have to get them early. If you want that big play RB....Chances are you have to get him early too. The Steelers are filled with "dime a dozen" RBs right now...With the exception of Redman...The rest may never be more than that. 31 other teams felt that was the case on all of them.
    Nasty, why do you like Miller better than David Wilson?

I've seen them both play and I think that Wilson runs better inside, breaks more tackles, and reads blocks better. Miller seems faster and slightly more explosive. But, at this point, I'd rate Wilson a few slots higher.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Nasty, why do you like Miller better than David Wilson?

I've seen them both play and I think that Wilson runs better inside, breaks more tackles, and reads blocks better. Miller seems faster and slightly more explosive. But, at this point, I'd rate Wilson a few slots higher.
    I like Wilson. I just have a feeling the Browns are going to take Tanehill at #4 and Wilson at #22. I would trade down and take Miller.

Legend

User Info Menu

I like Wilson. I just have a feeling the Browns are going to take Tanehill at #4 and Wilson at #22. I would trade down and take Miller.
    I think Cleveland takes RB Trent Richardson at #4 (Hillis is gone and Hardesty always seems to be injured), WR Kendall Wright at #22 (his skill set as a smaller, quicker guy [poor man's Steve Smith] complements Greg Little's as a bigger, stronger guy [poor man's Brandon Marshall] pretty well), and QB Brandon Weeden at #37 (he's more pro-ready than Tannehill...if he weren't going to turn 29 during his rookie season, he'd be the 3rd QB off the board).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I think Cleveland takes RB Trent Richardson at #4 (Hillis is gone and Hardesty always seems to be injured), WR Kendall Wright at #22 (his skill set as a smaller, quicker guy [poor man's Steve Smith] complements Greg Little's as a bigger, stronger guy [poor man's Brandon Marshall] pretty well), and QB Brandon Weeden at #37 (he's more pro-ready than Tannehill...if he weren't going to turn 29 during his rookie season, he'd be the 3rd QB off the board).
    I agree about Weeden is more pro ready than Tannehill. After Tannehill's proday, Mayock has described him as a "franchise QB" who may not be ready day 1. Passing on that "franchise QB" especially when you have a QB who could bridge you is very difficult to do. He won't go past #8. I feel they will draft Tannehill at #4 and then have their pick at #22 and #37 at WR & RB. They really are in a good position to put the pieces in place to solidify themselves. You have to like any of the RBs & WRs that will be available to them at those two picks. If Weeden can't beat out Mccoy or the Browns don't feel he is ready enough to face the Steelers & Ravens twice a year...He may be 30 before he ever sees the field. As a Steeler fan....I hope they follow your scenario.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree about Weeden is more pro ready than Tannehill. After Tannehill's proday, Mayock has described him as a "franchise QB" who may not be ready day 1. Passing on that "franchise QB" especially when you have a QB who could bridge you is very difficult to do. He won't go past #8. I feel they will draft Tannehill at #4 and then have their pick at #22 and #37 at WR & RB. They really are in a good position to put the pieces in place to solidify themselves. You have to like any of the RBs & WRs that will be available to them at those two picks. If Weeden can't beat out Mccoy or the Browns don't feel he is ready enough to face the Steelers & Ravens twice a year...He may be 30 before he ever sees the field. As a Steeler fan....I hope they follow your scenario.
    Well, if they take Tannehill at #4, then they could go WR like Kendall Wright or Stephen Hill at #22, then RB like Doug Martin, David Wilson, or Lamar Miller at #37. Either way, it's a solid haul for them in their effort to rework their offense.

Cincy also could get a couple of prime prospects with their 2 first round picks (I'm thinking guard and corner are their most immediate needs), so they might be able to land David DeCastro and Stephon Gilmore, or Dre Kirkpatrick and Cordy Glenn...they could do well for themselves too.

The teams in our division should certainly be able to improve themselves.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.