Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "New" Steelers Uniforms

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    there is no need to "refresh" or try to be "cooler".

that's ridiculous and makes you look foolish as well.

and you might want to look up the definition of tradition again if you think they change all the time.
    Hell, I missed that whole "Traditions Change" thing. The rocker and fashion model scout stuff stopped me dead.

Isn't that sort of like saying "smart goverment" or "large midget"?

Oxy at it's best.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    there is no need to "refresh" or try to be "cooler".

that's ridiculous and makes you look foolish as well.

and you might want to look up the definition of tradition again if you think they change all the time.
    I didn't say traditions change ALL the time. I said that they change OVER time. When did the terrible towel start? It wasn't a tradition for Steelers teams for over 30 years and now it has been one for over 30 years since. What about Seattle's 12th man? What about the "Lambeau Leap"? They weren't traditions from the inceptions of those teams. The became traditions over time.

There are ways of incorporating traditions into a new look. You can still be the menacing black & gold with a different visage. However, if wanting such a thing makes me look somehow foolish in your eyes so be it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

it does.

rock on, rocker.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I didn't say traditions change ALL the time. I said that they change OVER time. When did the terrible towel start? It wasn't a tradition for Steelers teams for over 30 years and now it has been one for over 30 years since. What about Seattle's 12th man? What about the "Lambeau Leap"? They weren't traditions from the inceptions of those teams. The became traditions over time.

There are ways of incorporating traditions into a new look. You can still be the menacing black & gold with a different visage. However, if wanting such a thing makes me look somehow foolish in your eyes so be it.
    Oh my.

Okay, let's start. A tradition is something that, ONCE STARTED, pretty much remains the same. Let's use your examples to make our point.

The Lambeau Leap was started and has REMAINED THE SAME. They have not "refreshed" it, or "made it cooler" by scoring and then running to the parking lot and jumping on the hood of a car. It's the same...they jump in the stands. Hence....tradition.

The Seahawks have not tried to "refresh" or "make cooler" the 12th man tradition by running an actual human being up the flag pole instead of a flag. It has remained the same....hence...tradition.

And I won't even bring the Towel into this train wreck of a conversation out of respect for It.

You have the difference between starting a new tradition and maintaining a tradition confused. But rock on!
    Last edited by BackwoodsSteeler; 04-05-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BackwoodsSteeler View Post
    Oh my.

Okay, let's start. A tradition is something that, ONCE STARTED, pretty much remains the same. Let's use your examples to make our point.

The Lambeau Leap was started and has REMAINED THE SAME. They have not "refreshed" it, or "made it cooler" by scoring and then running to the parking lot and jumping on the hood of a car. It's the same...they jump in the stands. Hence....tradition.

The Seahawks have not tried to "refresh" or "make cooler" the 12th man tradition by running an actual human being up the flag pole instead of a flag. It has remained the same....hence...tradition.

And I won't even bring the Towel into this train wreck of a conversation out of respect for It.

You have the difference between starting a new tradition and maintaining a tradition confused. But rock on!
    They've got the drop on you Sugar.

That said, the team pissed all over tradition when they got rid of the blocked numbers and lightened the gold to an undeniable yellow. Although the design has remained pretty much the same since the late 60's, we have already seen a substantial change from the uniform most of grew up on and associated with greatness. I would never advocate a change in our overall look, but I would have been very cool with a little more steel gray added to the color scheme, matte black helmets, a return to a more golden "yellow", and without a doubt the triumphant return of the blocked numbers.

Legend

User Info Menu

We also pissed on tradition when we knocked down 3 rivers for a new stadium. Spare me with the whole "keep the same look" for eternity. We have a traditional uni and we can also have a retro we pull out once or twice a year.

It's not that serious.... I would love to see an all black uni with the flat black helmet...

It's hilarious seeing people dump on a guy or question his age because he wants to see a refresh on a freaking uniform. Do you guys still watch the games on black and white 13 " TV's too?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

My point was that we could keep the things that are uniquely "traditional" about the Steelers uni's. I specifically mentioned the logo on only the right side. I love Steelers traditions like the Towel or not having cheerleaders.

It's like Ferrari. They are steeped in traditions even older than the Steelers. When you see one, you almost don't even need to see the badging on the car because they are uniquely Ferrari. That said, they are consistently updating their designs and modernizing their look. Why is it sacrilegious to think that the Steelers might do the same?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    My point was that we could keep the things that are uniquely "traditional" about the Steelers uni's. I specifically mentioned the logo on only the right side. I love Steelers traditions like the Towel or not having cheerleaders.

It's like Ferrari. They are steeped in traditions even older than the Steelers. When you see one, you almost don't even need to see the badging on the car because they are uniquely Ferrari. That said, they are consistently updating their designs and modernizing their look. Why is it sacrilegious to think that the Steelers might do the same?
    Don't let these guys get to you. The Steelers have changed their look many times over the years and this was a chance to do it again. I think they might have been afraid that Nike would go over the top with the changes so they told them to stay the same except for the Nike Swoosh. I love the look of their current uniforms but like you I thought it would be cool to see what Nike could come up with.

Believe me, when I see them in some of those throwback unis I am glad we didn't stick with the so called "tradition". I like how some fans think it is their right to determine what tradition is. What are our colors again? Not the colors I remember from the 70's dynasty.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I was thinking something like this:

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    I was thinking something like this:

The Iowa Hawkeyes come to mind.