Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Let's play "Who would you pick..."

Starter

User Info Menu

Hood is a Monster. Far far better then Aaron Smith was when he was early on in his career. Hood led the league in QB pressures last season, something like 22 hurries. And QB pressure...not Sacks are what broke the pipe. Hood is an already proven Beast! To call him average is like saying " Reggie White " was an AVERAGE Player

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I still think there is a chance we go 4-3 in the next couple years, which would negate the need for a NT. So I could sees 4-3 type DL or s LB they feel could play in the 4-3.
    Even in a 4-3, you do typically employ a nose tackle type (he'd be a 1 technique lining up in the center-guard gap rather than a strict 3-4 NT zero-technique who lines up directly over the center, but he's still a big ole burly fellow) and then a 3-technique who is more of a penetrating DT. Think Pat Williams (with the Casey gut) and Kevin Williams (with the more athletic build) of the Vikings, respectively (well, Pat's not there anymore, but you get my drift).

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by insanesteelersfan View Post
    Hood is a Monster. Far far better then Aaron Smith was when he was early on in his career. Hood led the league in QB pressures last season, something like 22 hurries. And QB pressure...not Sacks are what broke the pipe. Hood is an already proven Beast! To call him average is like saying " Reggie White " was an AVERAGE Player
    I think I need to add an item to the code of conduct.

1) No mentioning of Reggie White and Ziggy Hood in the same sentence

just kidding
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Even in a 4-3, you do typically employ a nose tackle type (he'd be a 1 technique lining up in the center-guard gap rather than a strict 3-4 NT zero-technique who lines up directly over the center, but he's still a big ole burly fellow) and then a 3-technique who is more of a penetrating DT. Think Pat Williams (with the Casey gut) and Kevin Williams (with the more athletic build) of the Vikings, respectively (well, Pat's not there anymore, but you get my drift).

I personally think we should stay 3-4 but we need to make improvements that will allow us to get pressue on the QB without having to send the house.

I do think that a 4-3 is very possible and we may be more prepared for a transition now than ever before. A few thoughts:

- Heyward and Ziggy could play 4-3 DT
    - Timmons would be better as a 4-3 ILB than a 3-4 ILB. Timmons is a good 3-4 ILB but he would be great in a 4-3.
    - Woodley could play DE
    - Keisel **could** play RDE but I wouldn't think that would be the long term answer. #1 would be his age and #2 I think we would want someone a bit more athletic.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I personally think we should stay 3-4 but we need to make improvements that will allow us to get pressue on the QB without having to send the house.

I do think that a 4-3 is very possible and we may be more prepared for a transition now than ever before. A few thoughts:

- Heyward and Ziggy could play 4-3 DT
    - Timmons would be better as a 4-3 ILB than a 3-4 ILB. Timmons is a good 3-4 ILB but he would be great in a 4-3.
    - Woodley could play DE
    - Keisel **could** play RDE but I wouldn't think that would be the long term answer. #1 would be his age and #2 I think we would want someone a bit more athletic.
    We know for sure now that Timmons is a better 3-4 ILB than 3-4 OBL, but I think in the 4-3 defense, Timmons would be a better OLB than MLB (he's always been compared to a Derrick Brooks, who was a prototypical weakside 4-3 OLB).

A better 4-3 MLB would be someone like your pal Luke Kuechly. (I couldn't help but go there).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    We know for sure now that Timmons is a better 3-4 ILB than 3-4 OBL, but I think in the 4-3 defense, Timmons would be a better OLB than MLB (he's always been compared to a Derrick Brooks, who was a prototypical weakside 4-3 OLB).

A better 4-3 MLB would be someone like your pal Luke Kuechly. (I couldn't help but go there).
    Yep...move Timmons to the outside in a 4-3. You would be wasting him inside. IMO Harrison would be the better MLB with Woodley playing his natural position at DE.

A switch to the 4-3 would not be hard as I have said for a couple of years. Most beneficial it would allow you to keep a stream of talent coming in from the college ranks and getting them to play positions they already play instead of "converting" over the course of 2-3 years and taking a chance they might be able to play a new position.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Let's not turn this into one of the hundreds of other 4-3 vs. 3-4 threads... To the one who called Ziggy Hood a monster, please push away from the paint chips. You compared him to Aaron Smith, and I looked it up... Smith had 8 sacks in his 3rd year. That's more than Ziggy's whole career.

Actually, I'm not even sure if you were being serious or not. If it was sarcasm, I apologize. I'm not usually that dense. :P

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Let's not turn this into one of the hundreds of other 4-3 vs. 3-4 threads... To the one who called Ziggy Hood a monster, please push away from the paint chips. You compared him to Aaron Smith, and I looked it up... Smith had 8 sacks in his 3rd year. That's more than Ziggy's whole career.

Actually, I'm not even sure if you were being serious or not. If it was sarcasm, I apologize. I'm not usually that dense. :P
    Come on now.... he said calling Hood average was like calling Reggie White average

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post

Why not discuss. We have at least 22,000 posts before we catch up to the "we hate Arians" world record.

Seriously though, the issue of 4-3 versus 3-4 is valid even though no change will occur as long as LeBeau sticks around. In our draft talk we see the effects of the 3-4 where many are wrapped around the handle about getting a underachieving but athletic NT, named Dontari Poe, because the whole scheme we run requires a unique skillset. That is a direct effect of choosing the 3-4.

The team that won the Super Bowl played a 4-3 so there must be some value to it.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Why not discuss. We have at least 22,000 posts before we catch up to the "we hate Arians" world record.

Seriously though, the issue of 4-3 versus 3-4 is valid even though no change will occur as long as LeBeau sticks around. In our draft talk we see the effects of the 3-4 where many are wrapped around the handle about getting a underachieving but athletic NT, named Dontari Poe, because the whole scheme we run requires a unique skillset. That is a direct effect of choosing the 3-4.

The team that won the Super Bowl played a 4-3 so there must be some value to it.
    Poe should actually fit a 4-3 better. In the 3-4, he's somewhat of a tweener (3-4 DE height, 3-4 NT weight). With his athletic ability, he should be a one-gap, one-technique DT in a 4-3, not a two-gap, zero technique NT in a 3-4.

When he blew up at the combine, people were suddenly thinking he could potentially be a Haloti Ngata type. Even if he somehow fulfilled that prophesy, note that Ngata himself isn't used as an NT in the Baltimore defense (Cody is their NT now, Kelly Gregg was their NT before that).

Word has it, though, that after Poe's stock shot up from late-first-round to possible-top-10, his stock seems to be sliding back down again. Perhaps he will be available after all...