Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's play "Who would you pick..."

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    You don't think a 2nd or 3rd round player could fix the OL? It has to be a 1st round player?

If the better value is in other positions, why reach?

Not sure they provide the immediate help we need from day 1. Problem with us is that we are always at or near the bottom of Round 2 and 3. That means that we can't get a guy like Zeitler who I like alot.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Not sure they provide the immediate help we need from day 1. Problem with us is that we are always at or near the bottom of Round 2 and 3. That means that we can't get a guy like Zeitler who I like alot.
    Trading up isn't limited to the first round. You can take the best player available in round 1, then trade up for the o-lineman you want in round 2.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Even as a huge Penn State fan and alumnus I would have real concerns about Still. He had one great season but also had lots of injuries. He also doesn't fix our greatest need...improve the OL! Keep our eye on the #1 priority...IMPROVE THE OL!!!!!
    Again, this is just your perspective.. I believe we have greater needs elsewhere. Gotta be able to stop the run, or our offense won't be on the field all that much anyway.

With the losses we've just had from cuts, injuries, retirements, our greatest needs, in my opinion, are right up the middle of the defense. NG and ILB. And you can throw in CB too. And if Mendenhall isn't in their future plans, a RB albeit via FA or the draft is also a need.

6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Again, this is just your perspective.. I believe we have greater needs elsewhere. Gotta be able to stop the run, or our offense won't be on the field all that much anyway.

With the losses we've just had from cuts, injuries, retirements, our greatest needs, in my opinion, are right up the middle of the defense. NG and ILB. And you can throw in CB too. And if Mendenhall isn't in their future plans, a RB albeit via FA or the draft is also a need.

I guess the emphasis on stopping the run is your perspective. How many teams beat us last year with the run? Passing will beat us and getting someone to get into a death grip with the Center is not going to win many games. If you want defense add another player who can actually cover man to man or actually play a game in Denver or get to the opposing QB. Getting holders and grapplers for the DL isn't what we need on defense we need pass defenders and attacking DL.

We mostly need OL to protect the most important player on our team who if he goes down for a length of time we aren't winning anything.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I guess the emphasis on stopping the run is your perspective. How many teams beat us last year with the run? Passing will beat us and getting someone to get into a death grip with the Center is not going to win many games. If you want defense add another player who can actually cover man to man or actually play a game in Denver or get to the opposing QB. Getting holders and grapplers for the DL isn't what we need on defense we need pass defenders and attacking DL.

We mostly need OL to protect the most important player on our team who if he goes down for a length of time we aren't winning anything.
    I do agree that we need to protect our QB. Ben is the difference between making the playoffs and winning a SB. He isn't getting any younger and it will start taking him longer to come back from injuries. In my mind I hope Glenn is still on the board @ 24 so we can get him. Improving the O line will go a long way to making the offense more consistent and not always relying on Ben pulling the rabbit out of the hat.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would hope the Steelers try to trade out of #24 to take Adams if the likes of Kuechly, DeCastro, Poe, Glenn, are gone. Now seeing how the brass traveled and who they seemed to be very interested in...I would say Mike Adams & Lamar Miller are truely options the Steelers are looking at very seriously.

If they take Adams, one would assume they feel he is motivated. Adams on his game is a franchise LT...He has very good feet and body control. He is some coaching away on his technique from realizing it. That would also say that "Colon to G" happens or Gilbert to G. If they sit at #24 and take Adams..I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Adams playing to his potential could be a steal at #24. For that...Someone might value Adams and take him ahead of the Steelers.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Lamar Miller ends up being the pick if they could trade down. I know everyone loves Redman, so do I. We want to see Dwyer get his chance. Like I have said before, I don't like the top of this draft. If players are off the board that "could" fill a need and the Steelers get a partner who wants to come up and get a pass rusher...They will trade back. Sitting at the botom of round 1 and BPA could very well be Miller. Although RB isn't the biggest need in many views on this board...Mendy on the PUP and Todd Haley running the offense tells me he would be a welcomed pick. Big program...Just turning 21 at the draft...Ceiling "elite"....Don't be surprised. I will have two "Trade Down" mocks in my sig....The other will be with Miller.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I would hope the Steelers try to trade out of #24 to take Adams if the likes of Kuechly, DeCastro, Poe, Glenn, are gone. Now seeing how the brass traveled and who they seemed to be very interested in...I would say Mike Adams & Lamar Miller are truely options the Steelers are looking at very seriously.

If they take Adams, one would assume they feel he is motivated. Adams on his game is a franchise LT...He has very good feet and body control. He is some coaching away on his technique from realizing it. That would also say that "Colon to G" happens or Gilbert to G. If they sit at #24 and take Adams..I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Adams playing to his potential could be a steal at #24. For that...Someone might value Adams and take him ahead of the Steelers.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Lamar Miller ends up being the pick if they could trade down. I know everyone loves Redman, so do I. We want to see Dwyer get his chance. Like I have said before, I don't like the top of this draft. If players are off the board that "could" fill a need and the Steelers get a partner who wants to come up and get a pass rusher...They will trade back. Sitting at the botom of round 1 and BPA could very well be Miller. Although RB isn't the biggest need in many views on this board...Mendy on the PUP and Todd Haley running the offense tells me he would be a welcomed pick. Big program...Just turning 21 at the draft...Ceiling "elite"....Don't be surprised. I will have two "Trade Down" mocks in my sig....The other will be with Miller.
    I have not seen Lamar Miller play much but i saw his highlights on You Tube and i think he is a home run threat.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post

We seem to hope every year to trade out of where we are in Round 1 but never do we find any joy or a trading partner. If Adams is the choice then I hope we do trade but won't hold my breath.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

My perspective regarding the middle of the defense and the lack thereof stems from Hampton being on the shelf with an injury, Hoke retiring, Farrior being cut, and then CB wise- Gay signing with the Cards. Our CB's seem to be avg. behind Ike, and sometimes I think he is avg. too. There is no depth at both ILB and NG. There are OL on this team that are young and can compete. They need to be given a chance. Let's face it- it's always the same when it comes to Ben and the OL. Whether it's 2007, 2009, or 2012. He winds up in situations where you can have an all-world caliber OL with all pro-bowlers and he's STILL gonna get sacked moreso than other QB's. That's just the nature of the beast.

But from a depth point of view- we have very little at NG and ILB. So, because of that, I would guess that's where they will spend most of their time drafting. Sure, draft an OG in the later rounds- OG is a deep position this year, so taking one in rounds 3 or 4 would be good move for more competition up front. Heck, I'd be for Zeitler in the 2nd if they could grab him. Need a RB in there too and probably a TE. But we don't need to draft 2 OG's and 2 OT's like some of these mock drafts people have on here- that's just not practical in my book....
    Last edited by pfelix73; 03-29-2012 at 08:04 PM.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    My perspective regarding the middle of the defense and the lack thereof stems from Hampton being on the shelf with an injury, Hoke retiring, Farrior being cut, and then CB wise- Gay signing with the Cards. Our CB's seem to be avg. behind Ike, and sometimes I think he is avg. too. There is no depth at both ILB and NG. There are OL on this team that are young and can compete. They need to be given a chance. Let's face it- it's always the same when it comes to Ben and the OL. Whether it's 2007, 2009, or 2012. He winds up in situations where you can have an all-world caliber OL with all pro-bowlers and he's STILL gonna get sacked moreso than other QB's. That's just the nature of the beast.

But from a depth point of view- we have very little at NG and ILB. So, because of that, I would guess that's where they will spend most of their time drafting. Sure, draft an OG in the later rounds- OG is a deep position this year, so taking one in rounds 3 or 4 would be good move for more competition up front. Heck, I'd be for Zeitler in the 2nd if they could grab him. Need a RB in there too and probably a TE. But we don't need to draft 2 OG's and 2 OT's like some of these mock drafts people have on here- that's just not practical in my book....
    If Hampton gets hurt again, McLendon steps in. If McLendon gets hurt too, then we could move Hood to NT between Keisel and Heyward. We should also have someone like Al Woods or Kade Weston on the practice squad. That's reasonable depth. At ILB, Timmons and Foote start and are backed up by Sylvester and Mortty Ivy. Could we upgrade these spots with a look to the future (heir apparants to Hampton and Farrior)? Sure, we could. But we could also update on Legursky and Foster as our starting guards (your comment about Ben's style regardless of the OL talent holds water, but the guys we've had on the line in recent years cannot open up decent holes for the running game either, particular in short yardage and goalline situations). I see NT or ILB selections as picks for the future (depth for the present), while a dominant guard prospect could benefit us both now and later as well. The good thing is that Colbert's hands aren't tied to the point where he HAS TO use a premium selection on a certain position (because that leads to reaching and reaching is bad *cough*Troy Edwards*cough*). Using our premium selections on any of these positions would be helpful. I would not be surprised whatsoever if the front office through us a complete curveball and went for a Stephon Gilmore or a Mark Barron (if available as a BPA selection) instead of an o-lineman, d-lineman, or a linebacker as we all tend to be assuming.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.