Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Even if Mike Wallace stays

Backup

User Info Menu

Even if Mike Wallace stays

At best, we only have 3 Wide Receivers under contract. Would you sign someone in free agency, look to our practice squad, or get one or two in the draft?. Take into consideration also that Emmanual Sanders has had injuries

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is a fantastic and deep WR draft especially for big physical WRs. I would take two who can help on special teams in the middle rounds or late in the draft (we may have 3 7th rounders). Derrick Williams and Jimmy Young should be able to challenge for a spot as well. I think the Steelers will look to add one vet minimum FA receiver. But, if we sign Wallace to a long term contract, that might not even happen. This team will be very young at WR.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

They'll probably grab one in the draft. The wildcard is Cotchery.

Legend

User Info Menu

Provided that his demands are reasonable, I'd first look to bring back Cotchery. If Cotchery does not return, I would look for at least a one veteran WR to thrown into the mix. Some names that could make sense include Legedu Nanee or Devin Aromashdu. Bryant Johnson and Maurice Stovall are bigger WRs who could fit as possession receivers, and Greg Camarillo is another guy on the market. Aside from that, there aren't a lot of veterans out there.

Legend

User Info Menu

I like the idea of Crotchery but he didn't impress me at all last year. He had a huge drop in the Denver game too.... everyone focuses on Wallace's drop but Crotchery's 3rd down drop when he was wide open over the middle was much worse.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I like the idea of Crotchery but he didn't impress me at all last year. He had a huge drop in the Denver game too.... everyone focuses on Wallace's drop but Crotchery's 3rd down drop when he was wide open over the middle was much worse.
    That was a big drop, but every receiver drops a ball here and their. Welker had a huge drop in the SB -- I think I'd be ok with him as a slot receiver for Ben.

Cotchery isn't a game breaker, but he is a solid veteran who knows how to get open. I also think there is a lot to be said for having a veteran presence on the roster.

Legend

User Info Menu

When Cotchery got healthy he was a solid producer. Moving the chains. That's what we need in this offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    When Cotchery got healthy he was a solid producer. Moving the chains. That's what we need in this offense.
    Yep. If our WR are B+ without Cotchery, I think he takes us to a legit A or A- if he is the #3/4. We need someone who can do what Hines did for the past decade and Cotchery has always done that well.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Not as desperate as it seems YET.

Wallace is here for NOW. Cotchery hasn't left YET.

Brown and Sanders.

That's 4 out of the minimum 5. We know they'll likely draft at least 1.

So at this point, there's 5 on the opening day roster. We sometimes keep only 5 though with a rookie, likely we'll grab some ST ace similar to Battle as the 6th.

Then we make moves as we lose Cotch or Wallace. We can't really replace them til they leave. If we sign a solid no.4 vet, then Cotch leaves for sure. No reason to preempt that move.
    So we sit, prepare for a mid- to late round pick. And that's that.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I'd look at bringing Ward back for 1 more season
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.