Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pats Targeting Wallace

Rookie

User Info Menu

Well, that wouldn't be a good thing. I think Wallace is a good WR, not great. He is very important to the success of A. Brown though. We need Wallace to take the top off of the defense. Sanders and Brown have field days underneath when Wallace is getting deep. I'm not sure about paying Wallace big money though, I'm just not sold on how much of a complete WR he is. I know he's a serious weapon, but... just wish he was a little bit more like a true #1 C. Johnson, L. Fitzgerald etc...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I think I will laugh if NOBODY goes after Wallace. Not because I really thought anyone would, but just because of all the talk of it.
    Last offseason it was the younger Pouncey coming to the Steelers...

we even debated if Pouncey would leave the Steelers if we didn't draft his brother.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

"They like to wait out the market and then see if they can get a relative bargain."

This doesn't work. If Cincy tries to do this, we'll just match and they'll have done the negotiating.

Frankly, I believe the Steelers and Wallace HAVE a reasonable deal negotiated...already. But Wallace is going to see if he can get ridiculous money frmo someone, Fitz money. If this happens, the Steelers would step out of his way and he'd have a huge payday. But Wallace will not agree to the Bengals offering of some meager price increase. He'll just sign the Steelers offer. But he'd be a fool not to see if someone was stupid desperate for him.
    So stop hammering on him and wait this out. He'll be back unless someone comes over the top with a silly offer. And I doubt seriously that will happen. And definitely rule out the Bengals...they won't pay him anywhere near what's needed for him to leave Da Burgh.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones View Post
    Frankly, I believe the Steelers and Wallace HAVE a reasonable deal negotiated...already.
    The latest I read last night was Wallace isn't asking the Steelers for Fitzgerald money but they are still far apart money wise. Worst case, Wallace signs the tender.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Last offseason it was the younger Pouncey coming to the Steelers...

we even debated if Pouncey would leave the Steelers if we didn't draft his brother.
    Ah, yes, I remember the stupidity of that conversation too. 'Tis the season, I guess.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

"They like to wait out the market and then see if they can get a relative bargain."

This doesn't work. If Cincy tries to do this, we'll just match and they'll have done the negotiating.

Frankly, I believe the Steelers and Wallace HAVE a reasonable deal negotiated...already. But Wallace is going to see if he can get ridiculous money frmo someone, Fitz money. If this happens, the Steelers would step out of his way and he'd have a huge payday. But Wallace will not agree to the Bengals offering of some meager price increase. He'll just sign the Steelers offer. But he'd be a fool not to see if someone was stupid desperate for him.
    So stop hammering on him and wait this out. He'll be back unless someone comes over the top with a silly offer. And I doubt seriously that will happen. And definitely rule out the Bengals...they won't pay him anywhere near what's needed for him to leave Da Burgh.
    Not if they front load the contract. They can work 15-17 million into this season. We wouldn't be able to match. The Bengals would like to stick it to the Steelers and fill up their stadium. This would be a public relations coup for them.

It probably won't happen, but it certainly is possible. This is a team that waits out the market so they don't have to pay top dollar. But, that doesn't mean they won't offer more up front and more guaranteed than we will.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This is what you are missing.
    Wallace does not 'really' want to play for the Bengals. He has to SIGN the offer they make. So if the money is essentially the same, he won't budge. Regardless of whether its front loaded.
    And you say 15-17M THIS season. That's just not logical. For one, they have Green. He's not subordinate to anyone. Wallace would be the second best WR there. That money doesn't happen to a number 2 or frankly Wallace. And the Steelers can match a sturdy offer from the Bengals...even front loaded, just not all on this deal. And Wallace doesn't want to leave, just to leave. He's not going to sign the Bengals offer unless its silly good. In which case I wish him luck and take the money. A similar deal uncomfortably front loaded, just so the Steelers can't match, he won't sign.
    He's here unless he gets silly offer from desperate team. Bengals are too cheap for that move.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is what you are missing.
    Wallace does not 'really' want to play for the Bengals. He has to SIGN the offer they make. So if the money is essentially the same, he won't budge. Regardless of whether its front loaded.
    And you say 15-17M THIS season. That's just not logical. For one, they have Green. He's not subordinate to anyone. Wallace would be the second best WR there. That money doesn't happen to a number 2 or frankly Wallace. And the Steelers can match a sturdy offer from the Bengals...even front loaded, just not all on this deal. And Wallace doesn't want to leave, just to leave. He's not going to sign the Bengals offer unless its silly good. In which case I wish him luck and take the money. A similar deal uncomfortably front loaded, just so the Steelers can't match, he won't sign.
    He's here unless he gets silly offer from desperate team. Bengals are too cheap for that move.
    How in the world do you know that he doesn't want to play for Cincinnati? Many players just want money now or financial security. Why would Green Bay's center sign with St. Louis? Why would Benjarvus Green-Ellis (who is a decent guy and an unselfish player) sign with Cincinnati and leave New England? Even if the contracts are the same overall amount, but Cincy offers more up front and guaranteed money, Wallace may choose to sign such an offer.

15 million this season is quite possible and even logical. Vincent Jackson is making 26 million in the first two years of his new contract. Making 2012's payout high is exactly how a team will be sure the Steelers don't match and would entice Wallace. It would also allow the Bengals to retain more talent in future years (like retaining Green when his contract is up). Deals can be front loaded at any time. The deal may only average out to 10 million per season, but the guaranteed money and first year's salary can lead to that sort of payout. The Bengals still have like 30-some million in cap space.
    Last edited by steelblood; 03-23-2012 at 02:46 PM.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Next year, teams have to spend up to within 90% of the cap. This year, they don't. If Mike Brown were forced to spend the money, then I could see this happening. But this year, he's not. Why would he front-load all of that money in 2012, when he isn't required to be close to the cap ceiling until 2013? You can always trust Mike Brown to do the bare minimum. Maybe next year when Wallace has the franchise tag, then they'll offer him a huge deal to get close to the cap ceiling, and will owe us two 1st round picks.

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    How in the world do you know that he doesn't want to play for Cincinnati? Many players just want money now or financial security. Why would Green Bay's center sign with St. Louis? Why would Benjarvus Green-Ellis (who is a decent guy and an unselfish player) sign with Cincinnati and leave New England? Even if the contracts are the same overall amount, but Cincy offers more up front and guaranteed money, Wallace may choose to sign such an offer.

15 million this season is quite possible and even logical. Vincent Jackson is making 26 million in the first two years of his new contract. Making 2012's payout high is exactly how a team will be sure the Steelers don't match and would entice Wallace. It would also allow the Bengals to retain more talent in future years (like retaining Green when his contract is up). Deals can be front loaded at any time. The deal may only average out to 10 million per season, but the guaranteed money and first year's salary can lead to that sort of payout. The Bengals still have like 30-some million in cap space.
    the guy calls himself "YOUNG MONEY" for a reason.