Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallace Wants More than Fitz

Legend

User Info Menu

Wallace Wants More than Fitz

According to Bouchette:

[URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/115456-ed-wallace-wants-more-than-fitz"]Ed: Wallace Wants More than Fitz?[/URL]

Thursday, 22 March 2012 07:40
    Written by Ed Bouchette [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/index.php/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=7c2c159fa8bcec4d851d55aa7b060 22150f5b757"][/URL]

Good morning,
    Maybe the reason no team has either signed Mike Wallace or come close to it is his asking price.
    This morning comes a report from Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee that San Francisco 49ers inquired about Wallace in the first week of free agency but were taken aback by his asking price. Wallace supposedly wants more than Larry Fitzgerald’s eight-year, $120 million contract!
    Here’s the story: [url]http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/03/the-49ers-inquired-about-mike-wallace-but.html[/url]

If this is true, Wallace really needs to adjust his expectations. That said, I'm still fine with the Steelers keeping him for two more years -- this year with the tender, next year with the tag, and then taking the third round comp pick when he walks.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    According to Bouchette:

If this is true, Wallace really needs to adjust his expectations. That said, I'm still fine with the Steelers keeping him for two more years -- this year with the tender, next year with the tag, and then taking the third round comp pick when he walks.
    If true, Wallace can take his butt out of town and don't let the door hit him in the a$$ on the way out. This is just rumor, but fear of this scenario is the basis of why so many fans were saying they would take the Round 1 pick versus having him walk next year for nothing.

If the numbers are even off by 33% then that is still more than what the Steelers will pay Wallace and he will be leaving after being franchise tagged next year. I also wouldn't count on the tag next year because the signings that took place this year could raise the WR tag number to near $10M. We still won't have that much cap space next year.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Is that what he wants to be paid to play or is that what he wants to leave the Steelers?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Is that what he wants to be paid to play or is that what he wants to leave the Steelers?
    So you think he wants $120M from 31 other teams in the NFL and $40M from the Steelers? I think he wants Vincent Jackson money at over $50M for 5 years. Sorry, but no WR is worth that. THat is franchise QB money.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    If true, Wallace can take his butt out of town and don't let the door hit him in the a$$ on the way out. This is just rumor, but fear of this scenario is the basis of why so many fans were saying they would take the Round 1 pick versus having him walk next year for nothing.

If the numbers are even off by 33% then that is still more than what the Steelers will pay Wallace and he will be leaving after being franchise tagged next year. I also wouldn't count on the tag next year because the signings that took place this year could raise the WR tag number to near $10M. We still won't have that much cap space next year.
    If they want to make it happen, they can. Foote and Hampton will come off the books, as will the dead money left over from the guys that were cut. Some guys are in for huge raises, but if you restructure them, pushing the hit back to when the cap is set to explode, the Steelers could make room.

They can pay Wallace a bargain rate this year and then let him play next year under the tag or trade him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    So you think he wants $120M from 31 other teams in the NFL and $40M from the Steelers? I think he wants Vincent Jackson money at over $50M for 5 years. Sorry, but no WR is worth that. THat is franchise QB money.
    Jackson doesn't have much guaranteed money. He can be cut after the first two years quite easily.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    According to Bouchette:

Wallace wants more than Fitzgerald. I want to win Powerball. Guess what...neither is going to happen.

Seriously though, Wallace is crazy if he thinks he will get that much on the open market. His sole attribute is speed. Learn how to run better routes, learn how to catch the ball in traffic, learn how to be more consistent and then we can start talking about a fat contract.
    Last edited by SteelBucks; 03-22-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

LOL... I wonder if the 49ers are trying to scare other teams off so they can make a move on him in April after the dust has settled?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    When I read that, I was thinking the same thing...perhaps he doesn't want to leave the Steelers, so he is telling other teams that in order to consider signing their RFA tender, it will have to be in the Larry Fitz neighborhood, but when he is actually negotiating with the Steelers, it will be more in the Desean Jackson neighborhood (still a hefty sum, since he is Ben's most lethal offensive weapon, but not more than Ben makes himself like the Fitz deal).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I've thought of that possibility too. If he wants to stay with the Steelers, all he has to do is price himself out of range for every other team, then take his time and work out a contract with the Steelers that is good for both sides.