Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who was the dirty team last night?

Backup

User Info Menu

Who was the dirty team last night?

I heard some commentators give equal blame to both sides for the chipiness and extra curricular activities. I read a quote from a Bengals player somewhere that they were just reacting to the Steelers dirty play from the last game, and shouldn't have let the Steelers draw them into it last night. Is there any truth to that?!? In the last game, I seem to recall that the Steelers were purposefully letting the Bengals get the last dirty hit in to ensure they didn't draw a flag. And Burflict was the one that crossed over to the Steelers side and started sh!t during pregame warmups. Were the Steelers instigating, or were they reacting to the Bengals? Its amazing how two sides of the coin see things so differently. In my mind, the Steelers were reacting to the Bengals, but if you ask a Bengals fan, Pittsburgh was the bad guys and the refs were against them too...

Legend

User Info Menu

Dalton was lost for the season and Eifert was concussed by Mitchell in the previous game... and Wallace came in late but I can't remember if that was Cinci or the Ravens.

regardless... fans will always see the other team as the instigators.

I think this game was Cincinnati being more concerned with talking and being bullies than winning the game.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelnavy View Post
    I heard some commentators give equal blame to both sides for the chipiness and extra curricular activities. I read a quote from a Bengals player somewhere that they were just reacting to the Steelers dirty play from the last game, and shouldn't have let the Steelers draw them into it last night. Is there any truth to that?!? In the last game, I seem to recall that the Steelers were purposefully letting the Bengals get the last dirty hit in to ensure they didn't draw a flag. And Burflict was the one that crossed over to the Steelers side and started sh!t during pregame warmups. Were the Steelers instigating, or were they reacting to the Bengals? Its amazing how two sides of the coin see things so differently. In my mind, the Steelers were reacting to the Bengals, but if you ask a Bengals fan, Pittsburgh was the bad guys and the refs were against them too...
    Cincy were the ones who lost control and Peko came off the bench and was not ejected and Burffit tried to step on Foster foot and Ramon got the penality.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Bungles...for sure......

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelmann58 View Post
    Cincy were the ones who lost control and Peko came off the bench and was not ejected and Burffit tried to step on Foster foot and Ramon got the penality.
    Burfict spit on Decastro. That's the reason why Decastro took him to the ground in the first half.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Dalton's injury certainly was not caused by dirty play. Surely they're not griping about that one...are they?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I feel like I'm pretty good about being impartial when it comes to analyzing teams I like. I'm frankly pretty dumbfounded by the criticism against the Steelers. Even in the case of Peezy--if he did the things they say he did (coming on the field for the expressed purpose of instigating)--I still don't see how you can blame him. Those guys are too stupid, to react to someone who is known for that. I also find it silly how Munchak is being criticized. Yes, he grabbed the kid and slightly turned him. So what? (Anyway, Munchak got the flag. IMO, bad call.)

I will say that Shazier could've easily been flagged, and the hit on Wheaton is one that could've went the other way. It is just ridiculous how the Bungles are trying to deflect their own responsibility on others.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I feel like I'm pretty good about being impartial when it comes to analyzing teams I like. I'm frankly pretty dumbfounded by the criticism against the Steelers. Even in the case of Peezy--if he did the things they say he did (coming on the field for the expressed purpose of instigating)--I still don't see how you can blame him. Those guys are too stupid, to react to someone who is known for that. I also find it silly how Munchak is being criticized. Yes, he grabbed the kid and slightly turned him. So what? (Anyway, Munchak got the flag. IMO, bad call.)

I will say that Shazier could've easily been flagged, and the hit on Wheaton is one that could've went the other way. It is just ridiculous how the Bungles are trying to deflect their own responsibility on others.
    I think the Bengals are being hypocritical here. How many of their coaches were on the field at the same time as Porter for example? I think it was quite a few. And I believe the Porter confrontation doesn't happen if Burfict doesn't come over and touch AB after they're helping him off the field.

I'd say dirty is trying to stomp on someone's foot after a play. Dirty is spitting in someone's face. Dirty is kneeing a player in the shoulder while he's already tackled after a play. Dirty is purposefully driving your shoulder into a defenseless WR well after an uncatchable pass. Dirty is cheering for injuries to your opponents. Dirty is throwing things onto the field.

Cincy's players, fans, and coaches are a bunch of animals.

About the only dirty play by a Steeler was Decastro taking Burfict for a ride well after a play into the endzone.

So I say the dirty factor tilts 6-1 in Cincy's favor by my account.

There were a lot of other hits that were borderline penalties on both sides. Some called. Others not. There were also a bunch of mental lapses on both side. But I don't really count the rest as intentionally dirty. I think there was really 1 guy out there on the field with the intent to cause injury.

The reason this is all so dire for Cincy is that many of the players look up to Burfict. They worship him. Heck, 5 of them followed him down the tunnel and into the locker room after the Int. The only thing that could have been better is if Burfict wasn't down by contact and gave up 2 pts for a safety. I so wish that would have happened for the humor.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

During the NFLN rebroadcast, I was able to see the bulk of the situation following Burfict's hit on Brown. Porter was on the field legitimately as one of 4 coaches/trainers who were tending to Brown. As they are carrying AB off the field, Burfict reaches out as if to try and apologize to him. However, he keeps his arm extended towards Brown well after he has moved passed and Burfict's arm then smacks into the face and shoulder of a trailing coach or trainer. The older coach or trainer kinds of reacts in a calm defensive way and Burfict violently puts his hands on the coach.

This happened right in front of a ref and Porter, who was the last trailing coach and was heading to the sideline behind the rest of the Steelers. Porter immediately says something to Burfict along the lines of calling him a dick, but doesn't go after him or get up in his space. At that moment, their number 95 comes flying up behind Porter and intentionally bumps into him...hard. This causes Porter to turn around and say "WTF" with an incredulous look on his face. Then all of the Bengals start rushing in, the refs start breaking that up, and Villanueva starts to drag a relatively calm Porter away. Just then, Pac Man comes flying in and tries to go through 3 refs to get to Porter. The flag is thrown by one of them as he's stumbling while the other 2 refs are pushing Jones out of the fray. The look on the umpire's face as he stared at Jones was quite deliberate and unfriendly.

I was kind of irritated at Porter all day (despite him being responsible for us getting 15 yards) until I saw he game replay and played everything in slow motion. But Porter was on the field legitimately to tend to Brown. The Bengals were acting like complete thugs all over the place and all he did was calmly inform them of that fact. He showed far more restraint than I would have. Gac Man, Burfict, and #95 (Gillbert, I think) were completely responsible for what took place out there at the end of the game. Burfict just got a 3-game suspension next year, but all of them should get something.

#Punks

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelnavy View Post
    if you ask a Bengals fan, Pittsburgh was the bad guys and the refs were against them too...
    I guess none of the realized that the Steelers were penalized 10 times for 142 yards, and the Bengals were penalized 8 times for 79 yards (meaning that before both Burfict and Jones lost their collective minds with 2 penalties for 30 yards on the last defensive play, Cincy was flagged a grand total of 6 times for 49 yards for the entire rest of the game). Yeah, the refs certainly had it out for them.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.