Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Go get David Hawthorne

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Go get David Hawthorne

Damn I wish the Steelers would take a look at David Hawthorne. He is a good run stuffing ILB at 6'1" 245lbs that would excel in our system. He is better than Foote right now and could be had for less than the Cowboys got Dan Connor.

[url]http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2010/08/11/linebacker-david-hawthorne-a-rising-star-for-seahawks/[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Given that we are probably saving all our available dollars to retain Wallace we lose out on opportunities to add and strengthen other positions. Could work for us and could work against long term.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Dallas got Connor at a bargain (Two-year, $6.5 million contract with a $2.7 million signing bonus. Base salaries: 2012 $800,000, 2013 $3 million, 2014 Free Agent).

Hawthorne is a much better player than Connor in my mind. I can't imagine he could be had for less than that (if so, we should sign him to such a deal yesterday). That would be a Farrior-like coup from back in the day.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Dallas got Connor at a bargain (Two-year, $6.5 million contract with a $2.7 million signing bonus. Base salaries: 2012 $800,000, 2013 $3 million, 2014 Free Agent).

Hawthorne is a much better player than Connor in my mind. I can't imagine he could be had for less than that (if so, we should sign him to such a deal yesterday). That would be a Farrior-like coup from back in the day.
    I think his deal will be similar to Connor's when he signs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    I think his deal will be similar to Connor's when he signs.
    If we could get Hawthorne for Connor's contract, I would do it in a second. Connor's cap hit for this season will be $2.15 million. I believe Larry Foote's cap hit is $3 million. If we cut Foote, we'd save $2.4 million (he'd still count $600K worth of dead money). So replacing Foote with Hawthorne (assuming we could get him for the same money as Connor), would actually SAVE us $250,000 on our 2012 cap. Hawthorne is VASTLY superior to Foote...Foote's only season with 100+ tackles was way back in 2005, while Hawthorne has had 100+ tackles in each of his 3 seasons as a starter (plus 7 interceptions and 15 passes defensed in those 3 seasons, so he is not solely a run-stuffer; meanwhile Foote, who has been in the league for a decade already, has 3 interceptions and 22 passes defensed in his entire career). I seriously doubt this is possible, but if so, sign me up right now.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

this is the stuff that frustrates the **** out of me. numerous FAs that would really solidify this team for reasonably money but we are always 'up against the cap'. i know we've won x amount of games, yadda yadds yadda, with the way weve done things in the past, but FAs like these could have made us a superbowl winner 2 years ago and have us get past the donkeys last year without breaking the bank. i really get tired of signing nothing but backups(for the vast majority)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

yadda yadda yadda is the most important part.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I've been saying this same exact thing about Hawthorne since last fall. He is a perfect fit for our defense. He would look real good next to LT and would take our LB corp back to what it should be. I loved Farrior but he just didn't have it anymore.....he hasn't been the same since Super Bowl XLIII.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    yadda yadda yadda is the most important part.

It's funny to hear supporters bag the most successful team of all time for their crappy FA/Draft policy.

If only we were more like those Redskins...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hawthorne is, no doubt, a good player.

Can he, or has he ever, been the defensive signal caller like Farrior was & Foote will be asked to be?

Would you rather Hawthorne to Keuchley or Hightower?

Chadman would put Hawthorne lower on the priority list, personally.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.