Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ward will retire a Steeler Today

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NC Steeler Fan View Post
    YAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

Man, that totally made my day!
    ^x2. Made my day as well. Very happy that Hines will have only worn one jersey throughout his career.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I going to miss you, Hines..... You're the best!!! Heart and Soul of the Steelers for the past 11 years... This team won't be the same.....

Legend

User Info Menu

Hines Ward announces retirement: “I will remain a Steeler for life”

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 20, 2012, 12:13 PM EDT
    Getty Images
    A tearful [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/701/hines-ward"]Hines Ward[/URL] announced his retirement from the NFL on Tuesday, saying that while he considered trying to sign on with another team after he was released by the Steelers, he decided he just couldn’t see himself ever putting on another team’s jersey.

“You guys meant the world to me,” Ward told Steelers fans. “This city and this organization means the world to me. So today I came back to Pittsburgh to grant Steeler Nation this one last request. Today I am officially retiring as a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don’t want to play in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep with me, and I will remain a Steeler for life.”
    Ward said that after the Steelers told him they were cutting him, his initial reaction was to try to catch on somewhere else. But when he had time to consider what it would mean to play for another team, he decided he couldn’t do it.

“It is my love for the game that makes me want to continue playing,” Ward said. “I feel like I have a few good years left where I can make a difference and help a team. I am a competitor and I would love nothing more than to get back to another Super Bowl. But that’s the passion in me.”
    Ward took the podium at the Steelers’ facilities and started by saying, “I’m not going to cry,” but moments later he stopped and wiped away tears for the first of several times.

The 2011 season was a tough one for Ward, who has slowed down in his mid-30s and isn’t the same player he once was. But Ward called the way his career ended the right way — starting as a Steelers rookie, becoming a Steelers star and going out as a Steeler until he couldn’t play anymore.
    “There’s been some interest for other teams,” Ward said. “But I just couldn’t picture myself playing in another uniform.”

I couldn't stand seeing him in another uniform either.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I loved how he took another shot at baltimore in his farewell presser. #86 is a jersey that will never go out of style at Heinz Field. That's how you can tell a player was special.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Thank God! I wanted to see that Smile one last time in Black & Yellow!
    Totally agree. To see him in another uniform would make me sick.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I just watched a replay of the PC....wow, damn emotional when he began thanking the fans. I don't think this will all hit me until training camp this summer when Hines isn't there.

Thank you Hines for 14 great seasons! You've done it all....2 SB Titles, 1 SB MVP, and the all time leading Steelers receiver in catches, yards, and TD's. It was a great ride!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I haven't made it home yet but I can't wait to watch the presser. My favorite player ever retired today. But his jersey will live on every game week in my house. Thanks Hines!!
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It was a good presser. I dabbed my eyes a few times along with Hines. He said it all the right way. Wearing the Black and Gold and belonging to Steeler Nation is special. The HOF voters will have to appreciate the intangibles that Hines had. The blocking, toughness, leadership and nose for the goalline. I hope they have voters who do.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I still think he could have played this year and put up decent #'s.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

[url]http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d827b9c85/Hines-Ward-announces-retirement[/url]

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.