Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ward will retire a Steeler Today

Legend

User Info Menu

Say all you like about 'having to move on' & 'players being past their prime'- there's still 'something' about losing guys like Ward & Smith...something not 'right'...but inevitable, obviously.

There will be other players, other Steelers that will capture the heart & mind. But for the good part of a decade & a bit- both these guys were 'us'...they were what we live & breath & believe in.

Hard to lose them in retirement, but easier than losing them to FA.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

Legend

User Info Menu

Well said Chadman

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Agreed. I'm so glad Hines decided to retire. Having him to Heinz field now, celebrating his career, will be so much more satisfying and enjoyable than had he visited Heinz field in a different colored jersey.

Legend

User Info Menu

My everlasting memory of Hines takes place in Detroit for Super Bowl XL. My father and I were staying in a hotel in Ann Arbor (much cheaper than downtown Detroit or the immediate surrounding neighborhoods for that particular weekend), and when we woke up the morning of the game, while my father was in the shower, I laid out my usual black Hines Ward jersey on my bed, and a brand new white Hines Ward jersey on his bed. He did not know that I had bought it for him...it was tough waiting that long to give it to him, but was ultimately worth the wait. He normally wears a black Lambert jersey to games, and for this game, he decided to wear both jerseys (since Hines plays WR like Lambert played LB). Greatest day of our football lives, and of course, it ended with Hines winning the Super Bowl MVP, putting the cherry on the sundae.

Super Bowl XL_091.jpg
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Awesome story and pic, RB. I'm going to miss ol' 86.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Rookie

User Info Menu

That was a sad day for me. One of the greatest Steeler players ever. Sad that the manning news overshadowed his announcement.