Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mendenhall may have played his last snap as a Steeler

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Mendenhall may have played his last snap as a Steeler

A month ago, Steelers G.M. Kevin Colbert provided a gloomy outlook for running back Rashard Mendenhall’s recovery from a January 1 ACL tear. Colbert said the Steelers wouldn’t count on Mendenhall to be ready for Week One, and the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review subsequently reported Mendenhall would open the season on the Physically Unable to Perform list.

After speaking to team sources, Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has an even more pessimistic view of Mendenhall’s future.

Bouchette suggests Mendenhall has taken “his last carry” in Pittsburgh, and that he might not play at all in 2012.

Sources told the Post-Gazette that the Steelers don’t believe Mendenhall will return to form “until at least the 2013 season,” and by that point Mendenhall may have signed elsewhere. Due a $700,000 salary in the final year of his rookie deal, Mendenhall’s contract expires next March.

If this is it for Mendenhall’s Steelers tenure, it will end disappointingly. The 23rd pick in the 2008 draft did churn out two 1,000-yard seasons, but Mendenhall holds a pedestrian career average of 4.14 yards per carry and drew the ire of the Steelers’ organization in May of 2011. Mendenhall never seemed to improve after a promising 2009 season. His development in the passing game has plateaued in recent years, and on several occasions last season the Steelers’ offense operated more smoothly with Isaac Redman in the backfield.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/19/mendenhall-may-have-played-last-snap-as-a-steeler/[/URL]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Starter

User Info Menu

if Mendy is gone the only guy left from that draft class is Mundy....what a baaaaaaad draft

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler View Post
    if Mendy is gone the only guy left from that draft class is Mundy....what a baaaaaaad draft

we could always give Limas Sweed another chance...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

At the time of that draft, I was sure that it was going to be a great draft class with Mendy and then somehow getting Sweed in Rd. 2. MAYBE our scouting was not as good as most others...or maybe it was just bad luck. I even thought Davis, Hills and Dixon were great picks. WOW! A horrible draft!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel View Post
    At the time of that draft, I was sure that it was going to be a great draft class with Mendy and then somehow getting Sweed in Rd. 2. MAYBE our scouting was not as good as most others...or maybe it was just bad luck. I even thought Davis, Hills and Dixon were great picks. WOW! A horrible draft!
    I think the problem in that draft was that the Steelers did not scout Sweed and Mendenall with much intensity. Mendenhall was projected to be gone long before the Steelers pick, and Sweed was also projected, by some, as a first round WR. Perhaps the Steelers assigned a grade, didn't think these guys would be available, and then didn't do the diligence they would ordinarily do.

A pick like Hills doens't bother me too much. He was a boom or bust pick, and he busted. The one that does sting is Bruce Davis. The Steelers scouted Cliff Avril, and he was available in the third, but decided on Davis.

To really drive yourself nuts, had they taken Avril, they likely would not have taken Worilds, and instead taken Sean Lee. Now, perhaps Avril would have left this year in FA, but the Steelers would then be looking only for a developmental OLB, not a near-term starter at ILB, and would have had better depth last year. I'm not a big fan on the woulda/shoulda/coulda line of reasoning, but I've thought about this one on a few occasions.

Jaxsontheman
    Mendenhall is a bum sorry to say but the dude never ran north and south. He just run 3 feet and then he would just dance in place and he didn't run like that he wouldnt have torn his ACL...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsontheman View Post
    Mendenhall is a bum sorry to say but the dude never ran north and south. He just run 3 feet and then he would just dance in place and he didn't run like that he wouldnt have torn his ACL...
    he liked to run his mouth

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    he liked to run his mouth
    No he didn't. Where did you dig this up from?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    I think he's talking about the Osama Ben Laden comments which didnt sit well with ownership

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post

It was never really the mouth. He did run his fingers though.