Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Eagles, DeSean Jackson agree on 5-year contract

  1. #21
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,588
    See the question mark at the end? It was an honest question. You don't think Brown will want the same? You don't think a team will go out on a limb and offer that up if he performs again?
    Absolutely they will. IF he performs again.

    Thing is- what if Brown tanks this season? What if he drops every second pass his way & he proves to be nothing more than a piggy-backer to Wallace? (Not saying he is- just playing the conjecture game).

    If you let Wallace go now (even if you get this shiny 1st round pick), and he continues to rack up 1400 yard 14 TD seasons, on the priviso that we'll 'never afford both Wallace & Brown', and Brown doesn't end up being 'all that'- what are you left with?

    Bird in the hand BigRob, bird in the hand.

    Wallace is a proven NFL WR, with 3 years of solid to very good results to his name. Brown has half a season's success.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  2. #22
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Answer honestly- would you rather the 1st round pick this year, or Wallace on the tender amount?
    Preferences in order:
    1) Sign Wallace this year and Brown next
    2) Lose Wallace this year but receive another 1st rounder
    3) Keep Wallace one more year and but lose him next year

  3. #23
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Absolutely they will. IF he performs again.

    Thing is- what if Brown tanks this season? What if he drops every second pass his way & he proves to be nothing more than a piggy-backer to Wallace? (Not saying he is- just playing the conjecture game).

    If you let Wallace go now (even if you get this shiny 1st round pick), and he continues to rack up 1400 yard 14 TD seasons, on the priviso that we'll 'never afford both Wallace & Brown', and Brown doesn't end up being 'all that'- what are you left with?

    Bird in the hand BigRob, bird in the hand.

    Wallace is a proven NFL WR, with 3 years of solid to very good results to his name. Brown has half a season's success.
    I think saying half a season of success is a little overly dramatic, but he is not yet a total known quantity. However, the Steelers will not and cannot pay Wallace what the WR market is bearing right now. Therefore, It is my conjecture that Brown will be signed to a long term deal at a reasonable rate this summer or training camp.

  4. #24
    Hall of Famer costanza2k1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,571
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    .... If they want to keep Wallace and Brown they will do it. Money will not be an object. Never has when it comes to re-signing the players they want to keep.
    BINGO! This is exactly what I was thinking.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    If you let Wallace go now (even if you get this shiny 1st round pick), and he continues to rack up 1400 yard 14 TD seasons, on the priviso that we'll 'never afford both Wallace & Brown', and Brown doesn't end up being 'all that'- what are you left with?
    Talk about conjecture!

    Doesn't Wallace need to first produce a 1400 yard 14 TD season before he can continue to do so?

    Personally, I think the Steelers will sign both Wallace and Brown (depending upon his performance in the 2012 season) to long-term deals. While I agree that it goes against what would normally be considered the Steelers' philosophy and cap structure, the fact is that the NFL is now a passing league. You need a franchise QB and you need legitimate weapons...

    Many thought that the Steelers would need to choose between Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley because James Harrison already had a big contract...they didn't have to because they signed both...

    Now, the Steelers are up against the cap and that may cause some difficulty, but I strongly believe that it will be done..

  6. #26
    Hall of Famer ikestops85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,302
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    I think saying half a season of success is a little overly dramatic, but he is not yet a total known quantity. However, the Steelers will not and cannot pay Wallace what the WR market is bearing right now. Therefore, It is my conjecture that Brown will be signed to a long term deal at a reasonable rate this summer or training camp.
    What makes anybody think Brown will sign a long term deal right now at a reasonable rate? Don't you think he is ready to gamble that he will have a very good year and strike the mother lode? The guy is young, talented, a hard worker and not a diva like many of the good wide receivers these days so would you sign for Garcon money when you might get Jackson money next year? I wouldn't.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

  7. #27
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,499
    Well guys...Everyone is talking about this big contract and how the Steelers could afford to pay Wallace this. The contracts are eye candy. Look good on paper. How bad of a deal would it be if I told you that D Jackson's cap number in 2012 is 3 mil and 2013 is 9 mil? So let's just say for the sake of argument that is Wallace's contract if you want to retain AB in 2013. Even if you stick the same contract on AB the two account for 12 mil in 2013. 2014 is new salary cap bump with TV money. In theory, the could keep these two together for 3 years and afford it. After the 2014 season, Wallace will be 29 by season start and Brown will be 27. You can take it from there. If Wallace's production isn't there, they can trade or release him and only be stuck with 3-4 mil. If he is still on the top of his game, the restructure / extend will help get his cap number down just like we have seen in the past. If the Steelers want both...They will make it work financially.



  8. #28
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    22,011
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    If he blows up again this season?
    He hasn't truly blown up yet.

    His 69 catches were 28th in the league last year.
    His 1108 yards were 15th in the league last year.
    His 2 receiving touchdowns were 107th in the league last year.

    Those numbers don't demand a blockbuster contract.
    These numbers, however, do:

    2009: 39-756-19.4-6
    2010: 60-1257-21.0-10
    2011: 72-1193-16.6-8

    Those numbers are on par with the first 3 seasons of Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, and Larry Fitzgerald's careers.

    Wallace: 171-3206-18.7-24
    Calvin: 193-3071-15.9-21
    Andre: 208-2806-13.5-12
    Fitz: 230-3135-13.6-24

    Wallace may have the fewest receptions of the four after their first 3 years in the league, but he still has more receiving yardage than any of them (a significantly higher YPC average than any of them will do that), and he is tied for the most TD's through 3 seasons with Fitz.

  9. #29
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,852
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    He hasn't truly blown up yet.

    His 69 catches were 28th in the league last year.
    His 1108 yards were 15th in the league last year.
    His 2 receiving touchdowns were 107th in the league last year.

    Those numbers don't demand a blockbuster contract.
    These numbers, however, do:

    2009: 39-756-19.4-6
    2010: 60-1257-21.0-10
    2011: 72-1193-16.6-8

    Those numbers are on par with the first 3 seasons of Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, and Larry Fitzgerald's careers.

    Wallace: 171-3206-18.7-24
    Calvin: 193-3071-15.9-21
    Andre: 208-2806-13.5-12
    Fitz: 230-3135-13.6-24

    Wallace may have the fewest receptions of the four after their first 3 years in the league, but he still has more receiving yardage than any of them (a significantly higher YPC average than any of them will do that), and he is tied for the most TD's through 3 seasons with Fitz.
    You make a strong argument. Just need to find someone who has the balance in the check book to write the check.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  10. #30
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    He hasn't truly blown up yet.

    His 69 catches were 28th in the league last year.
    His 1108 yards were 15th in the league last year.
    His 2 receiving touchdowns were 107th in the league last year.

    Those numbers don't demand a blockbuster contract.
    These numbers, however, do:
    What were Wallaces' rankings this year. You conveniently left this out. Your also discounting Brown's contribution to special teams.

    Since when is going from 16 for 167 to 69 for 1108 not blowing up? Brown seems to be on the same arc as Wallace.

    What will you say when Brown eclipses Wallace this year? It happened the second half of the year. Don't give me that coverage bull crap. Wallace was seeing the same type of coverages from game one.
    Last edited by BigRob; 03-15-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •