Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Zeitler can open up some holes!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Bengals Reached for Kevin Zeitler

Published May 2, 2012
    By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

The Cincinnati Bengals have gotten very positive reviews for their 2012 NFL Draft class. That is understandable and deserved with where they landed some of their mid-round picks. The Bengals were able to land defensive tackles Devon Still and Brandon Thompson along with wide receiver Mohamed Sanu on Day 2. Still was a potential first-round pick who Cincinnati acquired at No. 53 overall. Thompson was considered to be a second-round prospect, yet they snagged him with No. 93 at the end of the third round.

Cincinnati acquired that selection from New England after it traded down in the first round from No. 21 to No. 27. Sanu was another potential second-rounder whom the Bengals grabbed late, using the No. 83 selection during the third round. All three of those players were excellent value picks for the team.

The Bengals continued the trend on the final day of the draft. They took tight end Orson Charles in the fourth round and landed three good picks in the fifth with cornerback Shaun Prater, wide receiver Marvin Jones and safety George Iloka. All three of those players could have been selected earlier, especially Jones and Iloka.

While Cincinnati really did well with those seven players, there is one reach that stands out, and that is in the first round. The Bengals snagged guard Kevin Zeitler with the 27th pick after trading down with the Patriots. If Cincinnati had stayed at No. 21, the team could have landed the top guard in the draft, David DeCastro. Many considered him to be the top guard prospect to enter the NFL in the past decade.

Instead of taking DeCastro, Cincinnati moved down with New England and saw the rival Steelers grab DeCastro. The Bengals will have their hands full with DeCastro combining with Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey to lead Pittsburgh's rushing attack for years to come. The DeCastro-Pouncey tandem will also make it extremely difficult to get any pass rush up the middle of the Steelers' line.

Meanwhile, Zeitler was projected to go in the second round, and there was a huge drop off from DeCastro to the Wisconsin guard. The Bengals also could have traded down and probably have still landed him. Minnesota and Tampa Bay were trying to move up back into the first round and eventually were successful. Even if Cincinnati missed out on Zeitler, it would've had its choice of guards in Cordy Glenn (No. 41 to Buffalo) and Amini Silatolu (No. 40 to Carolina). In speaking with another NFL team, they had a second-round grade on Zeitler, so by both their draft board and the consensus draft board, he was a reach.

Overall, it was a good draft for the Bengals, but it would look better if they had taken DeCastro as a first-round pick (along with Dre Kirkpatrick) rather than acquiring Zeitler and Thompson in the trade down.

It will be interesting to see how DeCastro's career compares to that of Zeitler and Thompson in the years to come. One can be sure that the Steelers and Bengals fans will be paying attention to the comparison.
    http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

Nice youtube. The guy looks like a road grader. SO GLAD to see them work on our O line. VERY excited for the upcoming year!!!!
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    http://www.anewsong.com

My son's first Kansas Turkey!

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    Nice youtube. The guy looks like a road grader. SO GLAD to see them work on our O line. VERY excited for the upcoming year!!!!
    That guy was drafted by the Bengals, though.

Legend
    I still think that the Bumgals have done more right in the past two years than they did the previous ten. They are going to be a hard out everytime we play them from here on out. I'm actually more worried about them than the Ravens as I expect the Ravens to take a step back especially with Suggs out. Ray Ray can't hide as much and get credit for piling on tackles that Suggs makes.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    That guy was drafted by the Bengals, though.

Well, I read that wrong! I guess I shouldn't post on PS during class, huh?

I'm still excited for our moves. We did much work improvement on our line.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)

closet Bengals fan

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    closet Bengals fan
    We are no longer friends. Until antelope season, that is.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)

We are no longer friends. Until antelope season, that is.
    Watch he doesn't "pull a Cheney" on you, FF!

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Watch he doesn't "pull a Cheney" on you, FF!
    So, are you backing out of the "Cheney payoff offer" you made me, Ruth?
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I still think that the Bumgals have done more right in the past two years than they did the previous ten. They are going to be a hard out everytime we play them from here on out. I'm actually more worried about them than the Ravens as I expect the Ravens to take a step back especially with Suggs out. Ray Ray can't hide as much and get credit for piling on tackles that Suggs makes.
    OK... I'm not one of those rose-colored-glasses wearing Steeler fans, who blindly dismiss Brownstains/Bengals every year. However... let me just point out how many teams over the past 20 years, I've heard (teams like) the Bengals "won the draft", "get an A" on their draft (like other also-rans around the league).