User Info Menu

Purge of epic proportions

Will we lose 'it' with the loss of this list:

Ward
    Farrior
    Hoke
    ASmith
    Starks?

Hopefully some of the 4-6 year veterans on the team are picking up the history and meaning of being a Steeler to pass it down.
    We don't want to go through a similar meltdown in the 80s.

Very soon ... (1-2 yr)
    Troy
    Clark
    Ike
    Harrison
    Keisel
    Hampton
    ...Will be leaving the defense. I understand the need to get younger, but this is a purge of epic proportions.

I'm VERY worried.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Purge of epic proportions

I've been concerned since the way they treated Max last offseason.

The thing that worries me most is the people that are left have to see the manner in which the team let go of guys. And the reality of the business can quickly take precedence over the game of football.

Granted, it will motivate some to be better. But it will stick in the mind of all.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones
    Will we lose 'it' with the loss of this list:

Ward
    Farrior
    Hoke
    ASmith
    Starks?

Hopefully some of the 4-6 year veterans on the team are picking up the history and meaning of being a Steeler to pass it down.
    We don't want to go through a similar meltdown in the 80s.

Very soon ... (1-2 yr)
    Troy
    Clark
    Ike
    Harrison
    Keisel
    Hampton
    ...Will be leaving the defense. I understand the need to get younger, but this is a purge of epic proportions.

I'm VERY worried.
    I am worried as well. But its not like we didnt know it was coming eventually. We were lucky to get a group of guys like that to stay together like they did. Hopefully we can have a great draft this year and next year
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not me. I am excited. To me these guys...

Ward
    Farrior
    ASmith
    Kemo

..where holding the Steelers back (last year).

This is a step in the right direction for the Steelers. And I am embracing it.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

True, we are losing leadership. But in terms of on the field production right now, what are we losing?

Farrior was the only starter of the group, but he was splitting snaps with Foote and was only a shell of his former self. We are left with Timmons, Foote, Sylvester, Ivy inside...I hate mentioning the possibility of a rookie draft pick as well and having this morph into yet another "massive brilliance" thread.

Ward was our #5 wideout at the end of the year last year. Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and hopefully Cotchery here.

Smith's been injured for all but a few games for the last 3 seasons. Keisel, Hood, Heyward.

Hoke's been a solid backup, but fell behind McLendon and was injured. Hampton, McLendon.

Kemoeatu was a long time starter, but mistake after mistake led to him falling behind the likes of UDFA's like Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster. An upgrade will be needed here, but of all of the guys listed, Kemoeatu will not be missed...he is the only one who departs without leaving fond memories.

Although most of these guys were great players in their prime and solid leaders to the end, the truth is that at this point in their careers they were overpriced aging backups. It happens. The guys who will (or have already) replaced them, will improve upon their performance on the field.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Amen Dee Dub!

Legend

User Info Menu

I have no worries at all because I trust the best organization in football. Everyone of these guys they are releasing replaced someone at one time. Their time just came and be honest, for several it was past due!!

Instead of angst, I'm really excited about this because it is opportunity!! We have players who now can prove that they really belong and I'm excited for them. If they don't meet the standard then they will be replaced too.

Fixing the cap situation was imperitive if we are going to retain good young players and possibly add more pieces that we need. For too long we flirted with being at the limit of the cap every year to keep established veterans. I'm gald they are doing this in one big chop versus a thousand cuts of the knife.

May we take a step back? Sure, but if it sets us up for two steps forward than it is the right thing to so.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    True, we are losing leadership. But in terms of on the field production right now, what are we losing?

Farrior was the only starter of the group, but he was splitting snaps with Foote and was only a shell of his former self. We are left with Timmons, Foote, Sylvester, Ivy inside...I hate mentioning the possibility of a rookie draft pick as well and having this morph into yet another "massive brilliance" thread.

Ward was our #5 wideout at the end of the year last year. Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and hopefully Cotchery here.

Smith's been injured for all but a few games for the last 3 seasons. Keisel, Hood, Heyward.

Hoke's been a solid backup, but fell behind McLendon and was injured. Hampton, McLendon.

Kemoeatu was a long time starter, but mistake after mistake led to him falling behind the likes of UDFA's like Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster. An upgrade will be needed here, but of all of the guys listed, Kemoeatu will not be missed...he is the only one who departs without leaving fond memories.

Although most of these guys were great players in their prime and solid leaders to the end, the truth is that at this point in their careers they were overpriced aging backups. It happens. The guys who will (or have already) replaced them, will improve upon their performance on the field.

Great post Ruthless.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

My early 2024 draft:

1.) OC - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C - Oregon
    2.) DL -Ruke Orhorhoro, DL, Clemson
    3.) WR - Nathaniel Dell, WR - Houston
    4a.) OT - Matt Goncalves, ROT - Pitt
    4b.) S -Tykee Smith - S - Georgia
    6A.) CB - Shon Stephensl - D - Ferris State
    6B..) DT - Jamree Kromah DT James Madison

UDFA: P, WR, QB, TE

We don't apologize for winning!