Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dontari Poe Versus Arkansas State

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Dontari Poe Versus Arkansas State

I know this is only one game but this isnt very impressive. Jim Wexell was talking about going to the tape and you will see that Poe actually sucks. After watching this I am beginning to think he may be right. Yes he has freakish potential but on the field I see him get handled one on one by running backs, playing too high, his head down too often, a real lack of effort at times, and just a lot of plays that make you say, "what is he doing?" But dont take my word for it. Look for yourself. This is 22 minutes and I could only get through about half of it and was done.

Here are some specifics.

1:32 into the clip---Poe gets blocked one on one by a RB

2:02 into the clip---Poe get's blocked one on one by a RB

2:53 into the clip---Poe gets blocked one on one by the RG

3:50 into the clip---Poe gets blocked one on one by the RT

4:23 into the clip---Poe gets taken completely out of the play while at DT in a 4-3 on a running play right through the middle

5:36 into the clip---Poe gets pancaked by the RG

6:26 into the clip---A State runs a trap/cross block right through Poe's gap and Poe takes himself out of the play by going after a back who didnt even have the ball

7:55 into the clip---Poe gets pancaked by the RG

9:43 into the clip---Poe gets stood up because he is too high.

10:26 into the clip---Head down, gets cut and is completely out of the run play.

12:03 into the clip--Poe gets blocked one on one by the RT

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0IaNI-3sw4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0IaNI-3sw4[/url]

By the way. Final sccore, Arkansas State 47 Memphis 3. Arkansas State ran for 236 yards.

This was Arkansas State, not Lousiansa State.

Fools Gold.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: Dontari Poe Versus Arkansas State

I agree, I watched it earlier today and I just dont get it...he has these great tools but his film is bad, especially since its not really 'top talent' I would stay away
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    I know this is only one game but this isnt very impressive. Jim Wexell was talking about going to the tape and you will see that Poe actually sucks. After watching this I am beginning to think he may be right. Yes he has freakish potential but on the field I see him get handled one on one by running backs, playing too high, his head down too often, a real lack of effort at times, and just a lot of plays that make you say, "what is he doing?" But dont take my word for it. Look for yourself. This is 22 minutes and I could only get through about half of it and was done.

Here are some specifics.

1:32 into the clip---Poe gets blocked one on one by a RB

2:02 into the clip---Poe get's blocked one on one by a RB

2:53 into the clip---Poe gets blocked one on one by the RG

3:50 into the clip---Poe gets blocked one on one by the RT

4:23 into the clip---Poe gets taken completely out of the play while at DT in a 4-3 on a running play right through the middle

5:36 into the clip---Poe gets pancaked by the RG

6:26 into the clip---A State runs a trap/cross block right through Poe's gap and Poe takes himself out of the play by going after a back who didnt even have the ball

7:55 into the clip---Poe gets pancaked by the RG

9:43 into the clip---Poe gets stood up because he is too high.

10:26 into the clip---Head down, gets cut and is completely out of the run play.

12:03 into the clip--Poe gets blocked one on one by the RT

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0IaNI-3sw4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0IaNI-3sw4[/url]

By the way. Final sccore, Arkansas State 47 Memphis 3. Arkansas State ran for 236 yards.

This was Arkansas State, not Lousiansa State.

Fools Gold.

UCF also handled Memphis pretty easy to the tune of 41-0 and they were a 5-7 team this past season. They had like 260+ yards rushing for a 5.3 average. I don't recall Poe being a factor at all in that game and the stats show he had 1 tackle.

IMO Poe may be this years Mike Mamula.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Personally, I love the guy. I think he's going to do great things for the Steelers.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

By being picked way earlier than he should!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock
    By being picked way earlier than he should!

Well played
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

First, thanks for posting.

Watched the whole thing.

Very uneven effort (which is troubling).

The positive.

He flashes great agility on several plays. On one he is cut and immediately bounces up and pursues the ball carrier. On a QB pressure, he is able to bend and turn at full speed. Later in the tape, he holds up to several double teams and one triple team without giving much ground. He has an elite first step (though he uses it sparingly). Shows some naturally instincts and ability to locate the ball in traffic.

The negative.

Where is the effort early in the game? Hand placement is terrible. He does not use his upper body strength well at all. Still, he should be able to win with shear strength, but he cannot. He gives up when pass rushing when a RB steps up (he needs to truck that dude). Way too inconsistent against terrible talent. Takes plays off. Lacks killer instinct.

After seeing this, I feel he deserves an early 2nd round grade. Too many question marks for my taste. I do think he possesses a skill set to be a dominant NFL defensive linemen. But, if he didn't show urgency in college, there is no guarantee that he will in the pros. He will benefit from better coaching and could turn out to be an all pro in time. Great potential if he can be motivated.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    I just read this same criticism of Poe. Can't remember where, but an opposing o-line coach said that he takes a lot of plays off. Said all big guys take some plays off, but he takes off more than most.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't care if the guy's team went 0-13...

We aren't drafting the whole Memphis D, just one guy...

I trust the Steelers to make the right decision.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    I just read this same criticism of Poe. Can't remember where, but an opposing o-line coach said that he takes a lot of plays off. Said all big guys take some plays off, but he takes off more than most.
    I remember seeing the same thing. Can't remember where though.