Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: Dontari Poe Versus Arkansas State

  1. #21
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,573

    Re: Dontari Poe Versus Arkansas State

    JPN, the argument about who has more upside is not an argument I have with this. I would agree with you on this. However what I have contended all along is that for the Steelers and their desire to win now, at #24 for 2012 the best pick would be Dont'a Hightower. I put a great emphasis on production on the field for this pick than I do for potential or upside.

    Who cares why he didnt do the position drills? Luck and RGIII didnt throw so what's the big deal? Look at what Hightower did at Alabama on the field and in the SEC and tell me that him not doing on field drills at the combine is all that important?
    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

  2. #22
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,427

    Re: Dontari Poe Versus Arkansas State

    If he is there at 20....you take him.
    Put him next to a few good DEs (Hood and Heywood) and our DL will return to dominance.

    But I wouldn't got chasing him very high up the draft board.

  3. #23
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,779

    Re: Dontari Poe Versus Arkansas State

    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel
    JPN, do you coach or in scouting department??? Great Analysis of players especially for a layman like me.

    You have made me a fan of Dontari Poe.
    grotonsteel, again dont take this personal, but arent you more concerned with what a player actually does on the field? How can you say this after watching the clip I posted?

    Analysis is great and all but if it is primarily in regards to projecting what a player may do really leaves you with nothing more than a project. Go look at this clip and come back and honestly say you would use the #24 overall pick on him for the Steelers.

    Dee i am not a scouting personnel or anything. I mean a youtube clip does not make a game tape. In the end they are just highlights. I believe Steelers FO will make correct desicion while picking a player at 1.24

    As said i will be disappointed drafting another ILB at 1.24 but if Steelers think Donta Hightower is the game changer then so be it. I will be supporting any player that wears Black and Gold in September.
    Steelers Draft
    Rd 1: Mike Evans - WR
    Rd 2: Kyle Van Noy - ILB/OLB
    Rd 3c: Philip Gaines - CB
    Rd 4: Taylor Hart - DE
    Rd 5: Justin Ellis - DT
    Rd 5c:Xavier Grimble -TE

  4. #24
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,573

    Re: Dontari Poe Versus Arkansas State

    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones
    If he is there at 20....you take him.
    Put him next to a few good DEs (Hood and Heywood) and our DL will return to dominance.

    But I wouldn't got chasing him very high up the draft board.
    Well if you take him at 20 then are you are chasing him up the boards since the Steelers pick #24.

    I'll say it again, look at this tape and tell me just when you think Dontari Poe will actually get on the field for the Steelers? Putting him there in 2012 between Hood and Heyward isnt going to bring this DL to dominance. What it will do is create a huge hole. He is far from NFL ready, "IF" he ever will be.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

  5. #25
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,573

    Re: Dontari Poe Versus Arkansas State

    Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel

    Dee i am not a scouting personnel or anything. I mean a youtube clip does not make a game tape. In the end they are just highlights. I believe Steelers FO will make correct desicion while picking a player at 1.24
    Why not? Isnt this actual tape from a game? I am pretty sure this clip includes all of the snaps on defense for this game or pretty much most of them. These arent just hi-lights.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

  6. #26
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,462

    Re: Dontari Poe Versus Arkansas State

    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    JPN, the argument about who has more upside is not an argument I have with this. I would agree with you on this. However what I have contended all along is that for the Steelers and their desire to win now, at #24 for 2012 the best pick would be Dont'a Hightower. I put a great emphasis on production on the field for this pick than I do for potential or upside.

    Who cares why he didnt do the position drills? Luck and RGIII didnt throw so what's the big deal? Look at what Hightower did at Alabama on the field and in the SEC and tell me that him not doing on field drills at the combine is all that important?
    The QBs not throwing has nothing to do with Hightower. QBs don't throw because they want to throw to their own and be on the same page so it looks better. Also helps out his receivers. That isn't a secret. Hightower not doing all the drills means one thing if he wasn't hurt. He was advised not to for a reason. No matter what he does at his proday he chose not to compete against the rest. Every wonder why an entire prospect class from the same school puts up better numbers at the proday versus combine? It isn't something in the water.

    Well we could have this argument forever. If you are gonna equate "on field production" with Hightower's numbers at Alabama versus a college DT there is no argument. Poe didn't have the supporting cast of 3 other potential 1st rounders in the same defense. What Poe does on the field isn't shown in the stat book. If we were comparing LBs you would have more weight. Win now has nothing to do with Hightower versus Poe. The Steelers NEVER go into a draft and calculate win now into a pick. Poe & Hightower could see the field at the same time. It is a matter of value and where they could fill the need down the board. A "Hightower" could be found inside the 1st three rounds and possibly someone who can stay on the field on 3rd downs. Colbert even said when you want a special player at DT you have to take them early. The value on them moves them up the boards and the good ones are gone. There is a long way to go and the answer will come in April.



  7. #27
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,462

    Re: Dontari Poe Versus Arkansas State

    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones
    If he is there at 20....you take him.
    Put him next to a few good DEs (Hood and Heywood) and our DL will return to dominance.

    But I wouldn't got chasing him very high up the draft board.
    I would not trade up for Poe or Hightower. If they fall...Make the choice.



  8. #28
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,462

    Re: Dontari Poe Versus Arkansas State

    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones
    If he is there at 20....you take him.
    Put him next to a few good DEs (Hood and Heywood) and our DL will return to dominance.

    But I wouldn't got chasing him very high up the draft board.
    Well if you take him at 20 then are you are chasing him up the boards since the Steelers pick #24.

    I'll say it again, look at this tape and tell me just when you think Dontari Poe will actually get on the field for the Steelers? Putting him there in 2012 between Hood and Heyward isnt going to bring this DL to dominance. What it will do is create a huge hole. He is far from NFL ready, "IF" he ever will be.
    If they hit on Poe...It will bring them to dominance. They won't know if they hit on Hightower until they fill Hampton's shoes. Poe will not create a hole because when he learns the playbook he will be there best NT. That includes a Hampton coming off surgery. Everything you want to say about Poe can be said about Hightower. He is by know means a sure thing or he wouldn't be in the conversation.



  9. #29
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,449

    Re: Dontari Poe Versus Arkansas State

    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones
    If he is there at 20....you take him.
    Put him next to a few good DEs (Hood and Heywood) and our DL will return to dominance.

    But I wouldn't got chasing him very high up the draft board.
    I would not trade up for Poe or Hightower. If they fall...Make the choice.
    I trade up for DeCastro and DeCastro only. Otherwise, I wait to see which of these remaining guys happen to fall into our laps at #24.

  10. #30
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,462

    Re: Dontari Poe Versus Arkansas State

    Let's take the ceiling & floor for the players and do a friendly little evaluation. Who would you take?

    Ceiling
    Ngata = Poe
    Mayo = Hightower

    Who would you take?

    Floor
    Cody = Poe
    Mcclain = Hightower

    Who would you take?



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •