Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Stop the Madness!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Stop the Madness!!

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser

You are crazy! Go look up Bowmans stats (143 tackles for 2011) and rewatch the 49r's Vs Steelers. He played very well without Willis while he was injured for 3 really 4 games.

They had a very good defence with 2 young ILB's. Interesting. Both almost ended up with 100 tackles. Willis had 97. Thanks for an idea to look them both up and compare.
    Bowman had a great year. And Bowman is not a 1s Rd pick. If you think Wiliis does not help Bowman well it maybe true. I don't watch 49ers so closely.

My point is you don't need a 1st Rd ILB pick when you have a dominant ILB on your roster. Steelers already have one the team. Timmons. Steelers are paying Timmons top end money. Put a mid-round ILB besides Timmons and let young buck make plays.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Also Bowmen would not have been a 3 round guy without the off the field trouble. More like late 1st or early 2. So 2 high pick ILB's really. 49r's got lucky with him. Both were he was drafted and staying out of trouble.

Could we draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd for ILB, yep. But will he end up as good as Hightower? Could end up better.

Oh heres a good question. Would anyone take Bowman at 24 knowing how well he did this year? Also who would take Mike Wallace in the 1st rd now instead of the 3rd.

Anyway back to Dee Dubs love fest.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers fans are a funny breed.

"You don't need a 1st Round LB to get a good ILB", "You don't need a 1st round NT because he only plays 2 downs", "You don't need a 1st round WR/RB/TE/CB/FS"...etc, etc.

OK- you know what? You're all right- you DON'T 'need' a 1st round anything. There are numerous examples of lower round players doing the job of highly touted 1st Rounders.

So let's say what we really think- the Steelers should simply trade all their high picks away for multiple 5th/6th & 7th rounders- because that's all you really need.

So long as you're lucky, that is.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Steelers fans are a funny breed.

"You don't need a 1st Round LB to get a good ILB", "You don't need a 1st round NT because he only plays 2 downs", "You don't need a 1st round WR/RB/TE/CB/FS"...etc, etc.

OK- you know what? You're all right- you DON'T 'need' a 1st round anything. There are numerous examples of lower round players doing the job of highly touted 1st Rounders.

So let's say what we really think- the Steelers should simply trade all their high picks away for multiple 5th/6th & 7th rounders- because that's all you really need.

So long as you're lucky, that is.
    :P

I also hope now that the steelers draft hightower so all the threads were worth it!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well Dee, like I said earlier, you have me sold on Hightower. However, if both he and Poe are there at 24, I still think that Poe is the greater need and probably the BPA at that point. With Hokie retiring, they need big time help at NG. Not that they don't at ILB. Tough decision- but I'd lean Poe right now...or just freakin flip a coin on them...

6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel

And you don't need to burn a Rd 1 draft pick for solid ILB. Get solid ILB in mid-rounds.

DeMario Davis
    Nigel Bradham
    and then two things you hope for, one they transition to a 3-4, and two that you hope to get something out of them by year 2 if not year 3.

Neither one will get on the field in year one other than special teams.
    How many Defensive players become starters in Lebeau's system in year one? Hardly any. Whether its Ziggy or Timmons or Heyward their learning curve is 2-3 years. Hightower too will be riding the pine for one year. He is not a Day One starter for Steelers barring any injuries to current Steelers LB corp.
    Are you kidding me? When have the Steelers ever drafted a player who in college played in a similar 3-4 zone blitz? Why do you think this? Because LeBeau's 3-4 is more complexed that Saban's 3-4? It's very similar if not nearly identical. Dude I would suggest you wake up because the Steelers are very much interested in Dont'a Hightower. He's spoken with several Steeler scouts and meet with Tomlin and staff on Saturday night.

Anyone that is ok with James Farrior returning next season is asking for a huge hole in the middle of this defense. He is done.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Well, given that BOTH our current ILBs are former 1st Rd picks I'm not sure that holds true.
    Foote and Earl Holmes were forth rounders. Chad Brown, Kirkland and Bell second rounders. Jerry O had a nice run, and while I can't remember where he was taken, it certainly wasn't the first.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    In the last 20 years, the Steelers have essentially made three boom or bust picks. One of those (Ben) worked very well; the other two (Troy Edwards and Jamain Stephens) did not.
    Whenever you take guys from small schools, some boom and some bust (take Ike Taylor from Louisiana-LaFayette vs. Ricardo Colclough from Tusculum, for example...neither was a first rounder, but we struck gold with the guy we took in the 4th, and struck out with the guy we traded up for in the 2nd). With that said, however, I wouldn't necessarily put Ben and Poe in the same category as Stephens and Edwards. To wit:

Jamain Stephens went to North Carolina A & T...Division I-AA school (I suppose they call it the "Football Championship Subdivision" now as opposed to Division I-A's "Bowl Championship Subdivision", but whatever...same thing). Troy Edwards went to Louisiana Tech. Granted, that's where we got Terry Bradshaw too, but that was a different animal. When we drafted Edwards, La. Tech had only been in Division I-A for a decade...they were I-AA up to 1989.

That's different than Miami (OH) from the MAC, which has proven to be a respectable grounds for developing NFL talent, particularly at QB (although most of them are on our roster now...Ben, Byron, and Charlie are all MAC QB's...I'm shocked that we never signed Pennington near the end of his career). Memphis is no slouch either...they've been in Conference USA, and are moving to the Big East after this season. Mike Tomlin and Randy Fichtner coached there, DeAngelo Williams and Isaac Bruce played there, etc.
    Fair points Ruthless. Perhaps the Jamaim Stephens / Troy Edwards comparisons weren't fair. In any event, I still see Poe as more of an athlete than a football player, and his significant bust potential is more risk than I am comfortable with in the first.

In any event, maybe your dream of DeCastro will come true.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    Well Dee, like I said earlier, you have me sold on Hightower. However, if both he and Poe are there at 24, I still think that Poe is the greater need and probably the BPA at that point. With Hokie retiring, they need big time help at NG. Not that they don't at ILB. Tough decision- but I'd lean Poe right now...or just freakin flip a coin on them...

I would have trouble taking Poe. Give me a guy who has produced at the college level. Not the workout warrior.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    In any event, maybe your dream of DeCastro will come true.
    Probably not...but until late April, I'll continue dreamin'!!!
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.