Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Stop the Madness!!

Re: Stop the Madness!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Some are saying that Dont'a Hightower is too slow to be anything but a 2 down LB'er or that he is in adequate in coverage. This is not true. He was a 3 down back at Alabama in Nick Saban's 3-4 zone blitz and although he isnt great in coverage he is far from inadequate. If he isnt the guy you want the Steelers to draft, cool, but dont just make up stuff because about Hightower because he isnt your pick.

Here are some clips of him. Please watch them.

watch the 6 play on this clip. Hightower picks up the back in the flat and has him blanketed. Also you will notice that Hightower was used all over the place. Even off the edge as a DE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzJ3o1heM5E

These next clips all show how quick he plays. From the ILB spot he is able to get hits on these QB's. And they arent just hits. They are violent hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBe6Ez1O ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fdY8xns ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOYCrxD- ... re=related
    Come on DD .... We all know evidence of him playing against the best and fastest teams in the country (SEC) isn't enough evidence to mitigate these concerns.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    In the last 20 years, the Steelers have essentially made three boom or bust picks. One of those (Ben) worked very well; the other two (Troy Edwards and Jamain Stephens) did not.
    Whenever you take guys from small schools, some boom and some bust (take Ike Taylor from Louisiana-LaFayette vs. Ricardo Colclough from Tusculum, for example...neither was a first rounder, but we struck gold with the guy we took in the 4th, and struck out with the guy we traded up for in the 2nd). With that said, however, I wouldn't necessarily put Ben and Poe in the same category as Stephens and Edwards. To wit:

Jamain Stephens went to North Carolina A & T...Division I-AA school (I suppose they call it the "Football Championship Subdivision" now as opposed to Division I-A's "Bowl Championship Subdivision", but whatever...same thing). Troy Edwards went to Louisiana Tech. Granted, that's where we got Terry Bradshaw too, but that was a different animal. When we drafted Edwards, La. Tech had only been in Division I-A for a decade...they were I-AA up to 1989.

That's different than Miami (OH) from the MAC, which has proven to be a respectable grounds for developing NFL talent, particularly at QB (although most of them are on our roster now...Ben, Byron, and Charlie are all MAC QB's...I'm shocked that we never signed Pennington near the end of his career). Memphis is no slouch either...they've been in Conference USA, and are moving to the Big East after this season. Mike Tomlin and Randy Fichtner coached there, DeAngelo Williams and Isaac Bruce played there, etc.
    Fair points Ruthless. Perhaps the Jamaim Stephens / Troy Edwards comparisons weren't fair. In any event, I still see Poe as more of an athlete than a football player, and his significant bust potential is more risk than I am comfortable with in the first.

In any event, maybe your dream of DeCastro will come true.
    I also share your concern that Poe has huge bust or at best underperformer potential.

I also share the DeCastro dream. It would be so much easier if someone would just be helpful enough to sign Wallace as a RFA.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

I think the most impressive play in that clip is around the 1:54 mark. A perfect shed and tackle against the fastest RB (Chris Rainey-FL) in this years draft (based on combine unofficial results that I saw Rainey and L. James tied at a 4.37 I believe.).

Either way, it was impressive that he was able to read the play, take on the block, shed, and tackle a guy of Raineys speed as he was exploding through the hole... otherwise, that would have been a big play.

Quote Originally Posted by jhansle1
    I think the most impressive play in that clip is around the 1:54 mark. A perfect shed and tackle against the fastest RB (Chris Rainey-FL) in this years draft (based on combine unofficial results that I saw Rainey and L. James tied at a 4.37 I believe.).

Either way, it was impressive that he was able to read the play, take on the block, shed, and tackle a guy of Raineys speed as he was exploding through the hole... otherwise, that would have been a big play.
    Agreed.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Strong! As in....

1-Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State