Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stop the Madness!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Stop the Madness!!

He's okay but I'd rather have Bobby Wagner & his non-stop motor...we need to be more athletic to keep up with the changing offenses - especially covering the TE.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    He's okay but I'd rather have Bobby Wagner & his non-stop motor...we need to be more athletic to keep up with the changing offenses - especially covering the TE.
    OK Wagner doesnt play much in year one and maybe not much in year two. Hightower has a great motor as well. And just how many of our LB's need to cover a TE? We are talking about filling the Mack LB spot. Covering the TE isnt his primary obligation in LeBeau's defense with Timmons on the field.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

And for the record, Dont'a Hightower had the 4th fastest 40 yard dash of all ILB's and he ran as good or better than...

3 Rb's
    3 Wr's
    4 TE's
    7 OLB's
    11 DB's

Yeah, he's not all that slow.

Backup

User Info Menu

3 cone drill? Haven't seen it yet...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chavezz
    For an ILB personally I dont think that is all that important. What I look for is acceleration, stack and shed, read and recognition, how he plays in traffic, and angles in pursuit. Most of their work is done coming forward. A 5 yard L is useful but not the most important to me for an ILB.

But here is the top 5 and other than Kuechly, you are looking at a a list of mid to late round picks. So again for this position I dont think it is all that important.

Top five in three-cone drill
    Nathan Stupar, Penn State, 6.84 seconds
    Tank Carder, TCU, 6.89
    Chris Galippo, USC, 6.90
    Luck Kuechly, Boston College, 6.92
    Audie Cole, N.C. State, 6.96

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    For an ILB personally I dont think that is all that important. What I look for is acceleration, stack and shed, read and recognition, how he plays in traffic, and angles in pursuit. Most of their work is done coming forward. A 5 yard L is useful but not the most important to me for an ILB.

But here is the top 5 and other than Kuechly, you are looking at a a list of mid to late round picks. So again for this position I dont think it is all that important.

Tank Carder, TCU, 6.89
    Chris Galippo, USC, 6.90
    And Dant'e?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Tank Carder, TCU, 6.89
    Chris Galippo, USC, 6.90
    And Dant'e?
    Dant'e and Burfict did not do the 3 cone or shuttle. No idea why.
    But I can see you have a angle here for Dub. Have fun.

I do have to say that Farrior has been more of a BIG strong safety I think. I don't know if Timmons fits that role. I also think that the ILB spot in a base 34 is changing. Need to have more coverage skills like a tampa 2 middle LB. And I think both ILB's need to be that way. Will it always work. No. But I like the sound of it.

3 big men up front, our classic OLB's, Very fast athletic ILB's, Two good cover/tackleing safety's for todays pass happy NFL. If it was only that easy.

Just to note Timmoms at the combine ran a 4.66 and 4.62(pro day) with a 1.50 and
    1.56 (pro day) 10 yard. 3 cone 6.92 and Shuttle was a 4.34 and 4.32 (pro day)

Also Steven Sylvester at the combine ran a 4.71 with a 1.60 10 yard. No shuttle or
    3 cone. His pro day did a 3-cone 7.22 and shuttle 4.50

So 2 athletic ILB. But I am not sure Sylvester has it. Will see maybe this year.

I have no problem picking Hightower. But I think he goes before 24 and I would not trade up for him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    I'd take Hightower as a 2.5-3 down player without hesitation because I do know that a NT like Poe will be watching 1.5 of those downs from the sideline.

An impact ILB is more importnat right now for our defense than a NT.
    Timmons is sure as hell being paid like an impact ILB, and the Steelers don't need 2 impact ILBs. Timmons and a solid ILB should be fine.

And you don't need to burn a Rd 1 draft pick for solid ILB. Get solid ILB in mid-rounds.

DeMario Davis
    Nigel Bradham

Well, given that BOTH our current ILBs are former 1st Rd picks I'm not sure that holds true.
    True. Farrior was 33 when they drafted Timmons. Nowwe are talking about two young ILB as No.1 draft picks. If that is the case then it tells that Steelers FO made a big mistake to sign Timmons to a big contract.

Patrick Willis made NaVarro Bowman look all-pro.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

And you don't need to burn a Rd 1 draft pick for solid ILB. Get solid ILB in mid-rounds.

DeMario Davis
    Nigel Bradham
    and then two things you hope for, one they transition to a 3-4, and two that you hope to get something out of them by year 2 if not year 3.

Neither one will get on the field in year one other than special teams.
    How many Defensive players become starters in Lebeau's system in year one? Hardly any. Whether its Ziggy or Timmons or Heyward their learning curve is 2-3 years. Hightower too will be riding the pine for one year. He is not a Day One starter for Steelers barring any injuries to current Steelers LB corp.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    I'd take Hightower as a 2.5-3 down player without hesitation because I do know that a NT like Poe will be watching 1.5 of those downs from the sideline.

An impact ILB is more importnat right now for our defense than a NT.
    Timmons is sure as hell being paid like an impact ILB, and the Steelers don't need 2 impact ILBs. Timmons and a solid ILB should be fine.

DeMario Davis
    Nigel Bradham

Well, given that BOTH our current ILBs are former 1st Rd picks I'm not sure that holds true.
    True. Farrior was 33 when they drafted Timmons. Nowwe are talking about two young ILB as No.1 draft picks. If that is the case then it tells that Steelers FO made a big mistake to sign Timmons to a big contract.

Patrick Willis made NaVarro Bowman look all-pro.
    You are crazy! Go look up Bowmans stats (143 tackles for 2011) and rewatch the 49r's Vs Steelers. He played very well without Willis while he was injured for 3 really 4 games.

They had a very good defence with 2 young ILB's. Interesting. Both almost ended up with 100 tackles. Willis had 97. Thanks for an idea to look them both up and compare.