Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RB Seen as a Mid-Round Option for Steelers in 2012 NFL Draft

Legend

User Info Menu

RB Seen as a Mid-Round Option for Steelers in 2012 NFL Draft

BTSC Draft Forum: Running Back Seen as a Mid-Round Option in the 2012 NFL Draft

by Neal Coolong on Feb 17, 2012

In the second part of our Draft Forum series, we dig into the running back position in the draft as well as free agency. The days of the Workhorse Back are behind us, and with guys like Fred Jackson, Matt Forte and DeMarco Murray rushing and catching passes to a high degree of success, value in both player addition markets seems abundant.

The Steelers face an interesting dilemma at that position. In what looked to be a pretty stable group going into 2012 in January turned into perhaps the most anticipated training camp competition when RB Rashard Mendenhall tore his ACL in Week 17. His availability for the start of training camp is all but gone, and he could even miss the start of the regular season. Also, veteran RB Mewelde Moore is a free agent, and 2011 7th round pick Baron Batch (a guy our panel loves) is returning from an ACL tear of his own. How will all of these things factor into the running back position this offseason?

Background: RB Rashard Mendenhall tore an ACL on the final game of the season. Recently, General Manager Kevin Colbert said he "never feels good" about the health of a player for a year after the injury. While it's possible Mendenhall plays this season, free agency and the draft will occur well before any definitive word on Mendenhall's availability will come.

Question: Considering the current depth of running backs (Isaac Redman, Jonathan Dwyer, John Clay and Baron Batch), do you feel his injury makes that position a priority in the draft and/or free agency? Will any effort be made to re-sign veteran Mewelde Moore?
    RB is always a position that front offices around the NFL are looking to fill with cheap talent, and that doesn't change with us. Although our need isn't as pertinent as other teams, I believe it would be beneficial to add a faster, change-of-pace RB on day 3 of the draft. IMO unless Batch's knee can't hold up and we cut both Clay and Dwyer, Mewelde Moore's days as a Steeler are numbered. Some prospects I would target are: Cyrus Gray (Texas A&M), Ronnie Hillman (San Diego State), Tauren Poole (Tennessee), and Adonis Thomas (Toledo).

- Parris Brantley

The Steelers have sworn by their ability to find running back talent both inside and outside the draft since Willie Parker, an undrafted back from North Carolina, exploded through the league. While it may not be a need, the amount of talented backs Pittsburgh has produced over the last eight years, and the frequency in which they've brought them in, suggests strongly they'll be looking late in the draft for a diamond in the rough.

Is it really worth it, though?

The Steelers should be OK at the running back position in 2012. They have enough horses in the stable to give the team production in the running game.

While it's nice to have a back with big play ability, the Steelers offense doesn't need big plays from their backs to stay on schedule. In the same interview, where Colbert discussed Mendenhall's prognosis for the 2012 season, he also stated that Redman has "established himself as an NFL running back". That's all the endorsement I need, regarding Redman's ability to top the depth chart at RB.

Although I would have liked to have seen more, I was encouraged by what I saw from Jonathan Dwyer and John Clay, and that was with no work in the off season. That won't be the case heading into 2012, and I'm sure both will get much more attention during the off season. The real wild card is Baron Batch. Worst case scenario, he can become a solid replacement for Mewelde Moore. Best case scenario, he turns out to be a poor man's Ray Rice, and becomes the Steelers primary back this season.

- Greig Clawson

Batch was lauded for his willingness to block before tearing his ACL in training camp, and showed a strong ability to step up and stone pass rushers. Pass blocking is a major factor in a young running back's ability to get on the field. If he can't do it, opponents will see that and be able to key on the offense's intention when he's out there.

Batch is still a wait-and-see prospect, let's not forget he was a 7th round draft pick. He'll compete basically as a rookie in this camp against a positional group that all saw carries this season.

And that's before the draft, which could see the Steelers add a dynamic athlete who may not have first-round size or speed, but a more underrated trait: pass catching ability. RB Dexter McCluster had 41 catches in Todd Haley's offense last year. Jamaal Charles had 45 in 2010.

I really do not feel like running back should be a priority in the draft. Personally, I think Redman can be just as productive as Mendenhall. He does not have burner speed, but I think he fights for extra yards on "tough" carries better than Rashard. He has more of that "fall forward" style that I used to love in Bettis (no he is not "The Next Bettis").

Additionally, I still have pretty lofty hopes for Batch (see Moore not resigned). The kid was making waves in camp and I hope that carries over to this year. Furthermore, I read somewhere that Haley does a great job with pass catching backs. So, as far as the draft goes, I don't see them investing a 1-4 round pick on a RB, but I wouldn't be surprised if they took a late speedster to add another dynamic.

- John Stephens

Because of his presence (and low price tag), the Steelers will give Batch the opportunity to compete for Moore's spot in training camp. Moore won't be re-signed immediately, but could return if Batch or anyone else underwhelms.

Speed kills, though. You can never have enough of it. If that kind of running back is available on Day 3, I think they'll pull the trigger. Considering Redman and Clay both were products of the Steelers' practice squad, and Dwyer spent his rookie season inactive for nearly every game, bringing in another back through the system seems to work well.

[url="http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/2/17/2803032/btsc-draft-forum-running-back-seen-as-a-mid-round-option-in-the-2012"]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... n-the-2012[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: RB Seen as a Mid-Round Option for Steelers in 2012 NFL D

Names we should be looking at in rounds 3-5

Cyrus Gray-3rd
    Tauren Poole-4th
    Vick Ballard-4th
    Terrance Ganaway-5th
    Marc Tyler-5th
    Davin Meggett-5th

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm all for bringing in a low-cost FA & the one I'd like to see is LeRon McClain. IF he's right McClain is a load, plus he's familiar with Haley & the AFC North, can back up at running back & fullback, & can be signed cheap.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Starter

User Info Menu

I don't think we need to draft a running back. We have Redman, Batch, Dwyer, Clay and Spann to choose from with Mendy possibly coming back at some point. Maybe bring another guy into camp. Let the competition choose.
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Legend

User Info Menu

The point in the article about Haley utilizing RB's as pass catchers is well taken.

In 2011, Dexter McCluster had 46 receptions.
    In 2010, Jamaal Charles had 45 receptions.
    In 2009, Jamaal Charles had 40 receptions.
    In 2008, Tim Hightower had 34 receptions, and J.J. Arrington had 29 receptions.
    In 2007, J.J. Arrington had 29 receptions, and Edgerrin James had 24 receptions.

When Mendenhall returns from injury, Haley should be able to maximize his skill set as a potential receiver out of the backfield (something that Arians never took advantage of) as he "tweaks" Ben's game to take a dump off pass to an RB rather than taking a sack. In the mean time, since I don't see Redman as quite the same level of pass catcher out of the backfield (game-winning reception against Baltimore in 2010 notwithstanding), someone like Baron Batch could really show his worth as a 3rd down back this season.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    The point in the article about Haley utilizing RB's as pass catchers is well taken.

In 2011, Dexter McCluster had 46 receptions.
    In 2010, Jamaal Charles had 45 receptions.
    In 2009, Jamaal Charles had 40 receptions.
    In 2008, Tim Hightower had 34 receptions, and J.J. Arrington had 29 receptions.
    In 2007, J.J. Arrington had 29 receptions, and Edgerrin James had 24 receptions.

When Mendenhall returns from injury, Haley should be able to maximize his skill set as a potential receiver out of the backfield (something that Arians never took advantage of) as he "tweaks" Ben's game to take a dump off pass to an RB rather than taking a sack. In the mean time, since I don't see Redman as quite the same level of pass catcher out of the backfield (game-winning reception against Baltimore in 2010 notwithstanding), someone like Baron Batch could really show his worth as a 3rd down back this season.
    Good point.
    But don't base Redman's ability to catch/not-catch on his production there, since we all know we don't throw to our RB's much.

Count me in on the boat that says, we are OK at RB. Now, if there is a guy we "can't pass up", then I'm all for it. But I don't view this as a "need".
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quick question for those that might know- how is Jonathon Dwyer at catching the ball?

Chadman agrees- not much 'need' at drafting a RB- so long as Batch comes back from the injury ok.

If Mendy can be used in that pass catching role- here's betting we all start clamouring over him saying he needs to be re-signed t the end of next season...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Quick question for those that might know- how is Jonathon Dwyer at catching the ball?
    In 3 seasons at Georgia Tech, he ran the ball 517 times and caught the ball 15 times. Of course, they ran an triple-option offense there, so opportunities for RB's to catch the ball were not abundant to say the least.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo
    Names we should be looking at in rounds 3-5

Cyrus Gray-3rd
    Tauren Poole-4th
    Vick Ballard-4th
    Terrance Ganaway-5th
    Marc Tyler-5th
    Davin Meggett-5th
    I don't like Tyler. I think injuries have robbed him of everything that made him special in high school. The first four names on that list are great!
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    I'm all for bringing in a low-cost FA & the one I'd like to see is LeRon McClain. IF he's right McClain is a load, plus he's familiar with Haley & the AFC North, can back up at running back & fullback, & can be signed cheap.
    I wouldn't say no to McClain, but Haley did not utilize him much in KC, and may not be a fan.

The lost cost FA back that I've been pimping is Jason Snelling. He's 28, a UFA, and seemed to be overtaken by Rodgers as the primary backup to Turner.

To the point that Ruthless made about receptions, he caught 30 passes in 2009 and 44 in 2010 before tailing off to 26 receptions last year.