Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: Steelers could opt for nose tackle

  1. #11
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,499

    Re: Steelers could opt for nose tackle

    Wow...And Poe just ran an unofficial 4.87 forty.



  2. #12
    Pro Bowler pfelix73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic US
    Posts
    2,415

    Re: Steelers could opt for nose tackle

    Yep, his stock may rise so high even he will be picked before #24....
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

    2012 MNF Executive Champion






  3. #13
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,499

    Re: Steelers could opt for nose tackle

    Quote Originally Posted by jhansle1
    Poe just ran a 4.8x 40.

    Are you freaking kidding me?
    A 1.7 10 yard split...Somebody must be freaking kidding us!!!!!



  4. #14
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,607

    Re: Steelers could opt for nose tackle

    Poe was very impressive in his workout today..however I stand by what I say. He is better suited in a 4-3 or as a 3-4 DE, not as a 3-4 NT. Mayock, Davis, and Warren Sapp all said the same thing this morning. The comparison's to Ngata are deserved, but like Ngata, Baltimore moved him out at NT to a more natural position.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

    1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

  5. #15
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,648

    Re: Steelers could opt for nose tackle

    Poe is very intriguing. The Steelers need a NT of the future. That is a given and something they've neglected over the past several drafts. I don't know if the combination of Hood + McClendon is the answer at NT.

    The thing is ... Poe seems to be within our range. We haven't had a chance to get someone like him at NT because we're never in range. If he's there and we pass him up, then what happens next year when Hampton is either cut or retired?

    The Steelers always have an eye on the future and NT is a HUGE part of that.... if you can get a force at NT, you do it.

    If Glenn and Poe are available then it gets real tough.

  6. #16
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,499

    Re: Steelers could opt for nose tackle

    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Poe was very impressive in his workout today..however I stand by what I say. He is better suited in a 4-3 or as a 3-4 DE, not as a 3-4 NT. Mayock, Davis, and Warren Sapp all said the same thing this morning. The comparison's to Ngata are deserved, but like Ngata, Baltimore moved him out at NT to a more natural position.
    That's funny...I'm listening to Mayock right now and he said the opposite. I have been listening since they started and Sapp & Davis both said with his 32" inch arms and his upper & lower body strength he plays inside on the nose or 4-3 DT. Haven't heard anyone mention him as best suited for a 5 tech but said his athleticism suggest he could play there. The player they said who will be a 5 tech is Still. I will stand by what I say and say Poe is a NT in the Steelers system. Ngata moved outside when Cody came on and still slides inside on passing downs. From all the highlights I could gather on him he lines up inside and is a space eater. I saw the game against Mississippi State and there is limited on youtube. I would appreciate if you could send me the film you said you watched that gave you the impression he isn't first round talent. Perhaps I will see the same thing you did. Mayock has him ranked as the 3rd best DT and there may be 5 that go in the first.



  7. #17
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,499

    Re: Steelers could opt for nose tackle

    Quote Originally Posted by jhansle1
    Poe is very intriguing. The Steelers need a NT of the future. That is a given and something they've neglected over the past several drafts. I don't know if the combination of Hood + McClendon is the answer at NT.

    The thing is ... Poe seems to be within our range. We haven't had a chance to get someone like him at NT because we're never in range. If he's there and we pass him up, then what happens next year when Hampton is either cut or retired?

    The Steelers always have an eye on the future and NT is a HUGE part of that.... if you can get a force at NT, you do it.

    If Glenn and Poe are available then it gets real tough.
    If Glenn is available I would think he would be the pick over Poe. If Poe & Hightower are on the board, I would take Poe over Hightower. If Poe is gone, I would try and trade down and maybe still could get Hightower. Problem for me is if we can't trade down. They better love Hightower or take BPA.



  8. #18
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,648

    Re: Steelers could opt for nose tackle

    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Quote Originally Posted by jhansle1
    Poe is very intriguing. The Steelers need a NT of the future. That is a given and something they've neglected over the past several drafts. I don't know if the combination of Hood + McClendon is the answer at NT.

    The thing is ... Poe seems to be within our range. We haven't had a chance to get someone like him at NT because we're never in range. If he's there and we pass him up, then what happens next year when Hampton is either cut or retired?

    The Steelers always have an eye on the future and NT is a HUGE part of that.... if you can get a force at NT, you do it.

    If Glenn and Poe are available then it gets real tough.

    If Glenn is available I would think he would be the pick over Poe. If Poe & Hightower are on the board, I would take Poe over Hightower. If Poe is gone, I would try and trade down and maybe still could get Hightower. Problem for me is if we can't trade down. They better love Hightower or take BPA.
    True. Poe benefits though because IMO i think NT is more difficult to replace than a guard. Glenn is more prove against top tier competition. Add the fact that he could possibly dominate at G and also backup your tackle positions and that adds HUGE value. That is why I think he will be taken in the teens. Just a hunch.

    I really like that LB from Boise and South Carolina's Ingram is sick. Hightower may be the most realistic pick though.

  9. #19
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,607

    Re: Steelers could opt for nose tackle

    [quote=JUST-PLAIN-NASTY]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dee Dub":15gkcydr
    Poe was very impressive in his workout today..however I stand by what I say. He is better suited in a 4-3 or as a 3-4 DE, not as a 3-4 NT. Mayock, Davis, and Warren Sapp all said the same thing this morning. The comparison's to Ngata are deserved, but like Ngata, Baltimore moved him out at NT to a more natural position.
    That's funny...I'm listening to Mayock right now and he said the opposite. I have been listening since they started and Sapp & Davis both said with his 32" inch arms and his upper & lower body strength he plays inside on the nose or 4-3 DT. Haven't heard anyone mention him as best suited for a 5 tech but said his athleticism suggest he could play there. The player they said who will be a 5 tech is Still. I will stand by what I say and say Poe is a NT in the Steelers system. Ngata moved outside when Cody came on and still slides inside on passing downs. From all the highlights I could gather on him he lines up inside and is a space eater. I saw the game against Mississippi State and there is limited on youtube. I would appreciate if you could send me the film you said you watched that gave you the impression he isn't first round talent. Perhaps I will see the same thing you did. Mayock has him ranked as the 3rd best DT and there may be 5 that go in the first.[/quote:15gkcydr]

    Did you DVR it? Right before his first or second 40 yard dash it was said.

    Poe will not play much in year one if Casey returns. And playing NT isnt going to be where he is best. Is that where you want to go with pick 24?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

    1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

  10. #20
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,863

    Re: Steelers could opt for nose tackle

    I think it is far less importnat to get a run stuffer when the league is emphasizing passing and it is far important to shutdown an opponents passing attack than running attack.

    We need players who can protect our QB to make our passing attack better or get the opponents QB. Is it really important in today's NFL to be #1 against the run. It's probably become a meaningless statistic compared to #1 against the pass or leading in takeaways. Poe likely won't help us do either of those.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •