Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Wallace interviewed on NFL Radio

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Mike Wallace interviewed on NFL Radio

said he is not sure he will be back. said he doesn't know how he fits into the offense under Haley. said BA loved to take shots with his speed. He is open to playing for the Patriots....thinks he can put them over the top.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Mike Wallace interviewed on NFL Radio

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo
    said he is not sure he will be back. said he doesn't know how he fits into the offense under Haley. said BA loved to take shots with his speed. He is open to playing for the Patriots....thinks he can put them over the top.
    Thanks for posting.

At this point, it makes sense for Wallace to posture that he is open to leaving. He has potentially $7 million dollars at stake in getting the Steelers to believe that he may leave and that there will be a market for his services.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wallace discusses contract talks with Steelers
    By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Restricted free agent Mike Wallace and the Steelers are working hard to get a deal done before the start of free agency, but the receiver admits that he very well could be with another team next year.

In an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio this afternoon, Wallace said that he would love to stay with the Steelers, but knows that might not be in the best interests of both parties involved.

"(Pittsburgh is) where I would like to be, but we all know that it is a business and you have certain things you have to handle," Wallace said. "So if I have to go elsewhere, you know Pittsburgh will always be in my heart, but I have to do what I have to do."

Wallace said that the Steelers and his agent, Bus Cook, have been in working on a contract extension.

"Yeah, we are talking, but I don`t know how far they are going to get right now because of the situation," Wallace said. "I know that they are working hard trying to take care of it, but I don`t know. We`ll see."

Wallace is a restricted free agent and the Steelers have until March 5 to place the franchise tag on him worth more than $9 million for 2012.

With the Steelers currently at least $5 million over the projected salary cap, it is unlikely they will be able to free up enough money in time to use the franchise tag.

As a restricted free agent, the Steelers could also place a high tender on Wallace, but other teams could offer him a contract that the Steelers might not be able to match because of their current salary cap situation. The Steelers would receive a first-round draft pick if Wallace is signed by another team.

Free agency starts March 13.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo
    said he doesn't know how he fits into the offense under Haley. said BA loved to take shots with his speed.
    We all know that Haley never bothered to throw the ball deep while with Arizona.

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think I've accepted the fact that it's likely Wallace won't be back next. Doesn't mean I'm happy about it, but that's just how I see it playing out. I hope they slap the highest tender on him, so atleast if he does go, we'll have 2 first rounders. But would they be for this year's draft or next??

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelgal
    I think I've accepted the fact that it's likely Wallace won't be back next. Doesn't mean I'm happy about it, but that's just how I see it playing out. I hope they slap the highest tender on him, so atleast if he does go, we'll have 2 first rounders. But would they be for this year's draft or next??
    This year.

Legend

User Info Menu

i'm actually excited about wallace leaving and getting another first rounder.
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid
    i'm actually excited about wallace leaving and getting another first rounder.
    I think I'd rather have 2 first round picks this year and no Mike Wallace. This will help the team more in the long run.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelgal
    This year.
    The 2 first rounders is only if we put the non-exclusive franchise tag on him and he signs elsewhere and we do not match. This is very unlikely as it will cost us like 9 million dollars.

The high RFA tender for about 3 million will get us only 1 first rounder if he signs an offer sheet elsewhere that we cannot match. This is the most likely scenario.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Did he really say he wants to play for the Pats?

Ewwww!

I'm ok if he goes. WRs aren't worth the money teams pay for them unfortunately. I love me some Mike Wallace. But the economics for his position don't make complete sense.

That said, if he goes, I want a star player at another position to replace him. I only would let him go if it makes the team better. Can they reinvest those dollars into improving the D and OLine?

Always remember, we won a SuperBowl with Ward, ARE, and Ced as our top 3 WRs.