Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Wallace interviewed on NFL Radio

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Mike Wallace interviewed on NFL Radio

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    as much as i want wallace to remain, i wouldn't place the steelers in jeopardy over him. he's good but, he isn't great. maybe it was arians not using him corectly but, i don't see the team putting the future in harms way trying to sign wallace.
    we survived the losses of thigpen, burress, randell el, nate washgington becuase, many thought these guys were the heart beat of the offense and they were not and neither is wallace.
    i would have loved to see what haley could do with the weapons arians once had.
    All this time I thought you hated Arians and now you turn around and give him credit for making El, Washington and Wallace look like the heart beat of our offense?

How do you misuse talent and have the rest of the NFL willing to overpay for their services?

What would Wallace be worth if he was used correctly? $15 mill to $20 Mill?
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    The word "Emergence" was associated with AB. Wallace played a part in that. If you want to believe the slower end of the season was lack of effort and don't want him because of that...So be it. An educated guess would take into account the "Emergence" of AB was a result of teams game planning against Wallace & that's why his numbers tailed off and Browns production increased. Not taking anything away from AB...He is a great talent....But you can't double everyone so someone benefits.

To the many comparing Wallace's numbers to others. Realize this. The Steelers & the Giants were the only two teams to notch 2-1,000 yard wide receivers. The Steelers, Giants, Patriots, and Saints were the only 4 teams to notch 2-1,000 pass catchers last season. Even if you go to the guys who just missed out at 950 or more, you could only add Atlanta & Green Bay to 2-1,000 yard receivers. I'm saying this to express the difficulty of achieving such a stat. And did anyone notice they were all playoff teams and both SB participants?

I still have confidence Wallace will be here. You can say the situation is unique under the new CBA. However, it is a Steeler philosophy and the reasoning comes down to one thing. When was the last time the Steelers lost a FA the wanted to keep? I don't think it changes now and I don't think any fan favorite is safe. The Steelers know it is not about the past...It is all about the future. The finished product Mike Wallace still hasn't showed up and everyone standing in the way of retaining him is a product that is finished. It is a matter of squashing what they can to save the June 1st cuts to allow them a bridge over 2013 to the 2014 cap explosion. Tick...Tick...Tick...The clock is running.
    Is he worth $8 to 9 mill? I don't think so...

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid
    i'm actually excited about wallace leaving and getting another first rounder.
    I think I'd rather have 2 first round picks this year and no Mike Wallace. This will help the team more in the long run.
    As long as it meant keeping Cotchery, and the first rounder was a 20 or higher I would be ok with it as well.
    Agree!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wow..Guys! If you insert Mike Wallace as we know him he is a top 10-15 pick. Value of Wallace is not a late 1st and nobody should be happy with it. There is a reason for this buzz and it simply is a late 1st is a steal for such a dynamic player. You stick him in at a proven 25 years old with Blackmon, Wright, and Floyd he is gone inside the top 15.

Does everyone realize the average draft class has 20 1st round talents? This is the discussion the Brass & Scouting department have every draft when putting their board together. They question if a certain player was in last years draft where he would grade out or in a draft that was "rich"at his position where would he grade out. The college system just doesn't squirt out 32 1st round prospects. Some draft classes are rich...Some not so good at the top.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    The word "Emergence" was associated with AB. Wallace played a part in that. If you want to believe the slower end of the season was lack of effort and don't want him because of that...So be it. An educated guess would take into account the "Emergence" of AB was a result of teams game planning against Wallace & that's why his numbers tailed off and Browns production increased. Not taking anything away from AB...He is a great talent....But you can't double everyone so someone benefits.

To the many comparing Wallace's numbers to others. Realize this. The Steelers & the Giants were the only two teams to notch 2-1,000 yard wide receivers. The Steelers, Giants, Patriots, and Saints were the only 4 teams to notch 2-1,000 pass catchers last season. Even if you go to the guys who just missed out at 950 or more, you could only add Atlanta & Green Bay to 2-1,000 yard receivers. I'm saying this to express the difficulty of achieving such a stat. And did anyone notice they were all playoff teams and both SB participants?

I still have confidence Wallace will be here. You can say the situation is unique under the new CBA. However, it is a Steeler philosophy and the reasoning comes down to one thing. When was the last time the Steelers lost a FA the wanted to keep? I don't think it changes now and I don't think any fan favorite is safe. The Steelers know it is not about the past...It is all about the future. The finished product Mike Wallace still hasn't showed up and everyone standing in the way of retaining him is a product that is finished. It is a matter of squashing what they can to save the June 1st cuts to allow them a bridge over 2013 to the 2014 cap explosion. Tick...Tick...Tick...The clock is running.
    If you are referring to the tag...Yes he is worth getting tagged. He won't play on the tag. If they paid Ward 6-7 mil Wallace is worth 7-8 mil on a long term deal.

Legend

User Info Menu

People seem to be obsessed with comparing Wallace to the top 3-4 wideouts in the league, and saying "Look, he's not that!" as some sort of justification for letting Ben's biggest weapon walk in exchange for a late first round pick. Maybe he is not a Calvin or Fitz or Andre. So he's just better than the other 60 starting wideouts in the league. What a bum.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=JUST-PLAIN-NASTY]
    Quote Originally Posted by "JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":21qo9ohx

If you are referring to the tag...Yes he is worth getting tagged. He won't play on the tag. If they paid Ward 6-7 mil Wallace is worth 7-8 mil on a long term deal.[/quote:21qo9ohx]

Who is more like Ward on our roster right now? AB or Wallace?

Guys like Wallace are easily replaced because it's all speed. I could see if Wallace was drawing penalties, causing havoc underneath, shielding players with his body and putting on a clinic but 95% of his production is sprinting past defenders...

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer to keep all our weapons but he can be replaced. Our FO does an excellent job finding fast WR with raw talent and getting production out of them on day 1.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How much would it take to sign Crotchery, and say a WR calliber of Manningham ?

Would it be more cap friendly then signing just Wallace?

Brown, Sanders, Crotchery, FA WR (Manningham), Ward, Rookie

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    People seem to be obsessed with comparing Wallace to the top 3-4 wideouts in the league, and saying "Look, he's not that!" as some sort of justification for letting Ben's biggest weapon walk in exchange for a late first round pick. Maybe he is not a Calvin or Fitz or Andre. So he's just better than the other 60 starting wideouts in the league. What a bum.
    It's obvious in this interview that Wallace prefers to go vertical and is concerned Haley will change our philosophy on offense. That concerns me because all we did was complain about going deep all the time...

Ben's biggest weapons always leave and we always replace them with better players...

Wallace isn't a bum but he isn't worth 9 mill...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[quote=feltdizz]
    Quote Originally Posted by "JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1oyu9e67

If you are referring to the tag...Yes he is worth getting tagged. He won't play on the tag. If they paid Ward 6-7 mil Wallace is worth 7-8 mil on a long term deal.
    Who is more like Ward on our roster right now? AB or Wallace?

Guys like Wallace are easily replaced because it's all speed. I could see if Wallace was drawing penalties, causing havoc underneath, shielding players with his body and putting on a clinic but 95% of his production is sprinting past defenders...

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer to keep all our weapons but he can be replaced. Our FO does an excellent job finding fast WR with raw talent and getting production out of them on day 1.[/quote:1oyu9e67]

Neither. That's why Wallace will get more than Ward ever did. What he has can't be taught and isn't easy to find. If that was the case, everyone would have one. "Guys like Wallace" aren't easily replaced and most of them spend a long time in one place because of it. Teams know what they have and they hold on to them. I don't see where the FO has got these fast WRs with Raw talent and got production from day one. For Every Wallace, AB, & Washington you get a Sweed, Edwards, & Blackwell. The Steelers have invested alot of high picks over the years on WR that ended up just being guys who could run fast. That is why the FO has done such a good job keeping their own to protect their investment.

Hines Ward is a hall of famer and was great in his own right. What he did for this organization is put his fingerprints on two Lombardis in the trophy case and that won't be forgotten...But living in the past won't put anymore in that case. Mike Wallace is as big a piece to the puzzle to this next run as Ward was. Time to move on from Ward and take his name out of the conversations of who gets what & who deserves this because Ward was that. If there wasn't a thing called evolution of the game...People we pass on the street would be playing in the NFL. Don't hate the player because he is using his God given gifts and he is going to make a $hit load of money that isn't even coming out of our pocket but we don't think he is worth it. Rejoice the Kid is a Steeler....Wants to be a Steeler...And hope he remains a Steeler to help this football team put some more trophies in that case. I have trust the organization knows what they are doing and anything they do won't hinder their ability to put a winner on the field regardless of who makes what.