Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Wallace interviewed on NFL Radio

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Mike Wallace interviewed on NFL Radio

It always irks me when players talk of going to hated rivals...

Of course, I realize business is business. But it smacks of disrespect IMO. Not to the "team", the ownership, or teammates... but to the fans, the people who the players always say they play for.

We (the fans) can't jump ship whenever we want. We are stuck with our team. When our team is garbage, we have to live with it. Kobe Bryant is another example. I used to be a Kobe fan. Even through all the rape allegations. I STOPPED being a Kobe fan, when he tried to orchestrate his way out of town after PHX dumped the Lakers outo f the playoffs (1 and done) for a couple straight years.

This is similar. I don't hate on Wallace for playing his cards. He has to make what he can make. But to talk of the Cheats*, the Ravens, and the Bungles to a lesser extent is a bit disrespectful to fans.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

To Wallace defense, he said he hope it don't come down to the Ravens.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Wallace is way more valuable to us right now than obtaining another late first round pick. I suspect that the Steelers front office realizes this, and will make every reasonable effort to get him extended long-term. I'm surprised so many Steeler fans seem to be taking the opposite stance at this point in time.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelgal
    I think I've accepted the fact that it's likely Wallace won't be back next. Doesn't mean I'm happy about it, but that's just how I see it playing out. I hope they slap the highest tender on him, so atleast if he does go, we'll have 2 first rounders. But would they be for this year's draft or next??
    This year.
    The 2 first rounders is only if we put the non-exclusive franchise tag on him and he signs elsewhere and we do not match. This is very unlikely as it will cost us like 9 million dollars.

The high RFA tender for about 3 million will get us only 1 first rounder if he signs an offer sheet elsewhere that we cannot match. This is the most likely scenario.
    That's what I meant, but it didn't come across right. I meant that I thought we'd have 2 first round picks this year (ours and the one for Wallace). I didn't even realize there was a chance we could get 2 picks from another team for him, which is highly doubt would happen anyway. Thanks for the clarification.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I hope the Bungles take him.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    I hope the Bungles take him.
    Why would you want him to go to a DIVISION rival? Besides they already have 2 pretty good receivers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers WR Wallace openly flirts with 49ers, Patriots

By Dan Hanzus NFL.com
    Published: Feb. 22, 2012 at 04:09 p.m.
    [url="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8271efd1/article/steelers-wr-wallace-openly-flirts-with-49ers-patriots?module=HP11_headline_stack"]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack[/url]

Mike Wallace arguably is the greatest deep threat in football today, so you can safely assume he'll garner serious interest on the free-agent market if the Steelers can't lock up the wide receiver to a new contract.

Wallace visited SiriusXM NFL Radio on Wednesday to discuss his pending trip to restricted free agency. Specifically, he was asked if he'd be interested in playing for the 49ers or Patriots, two teams in dire need of a vertical threat like him.

"Most definitely. Those are two playoff-caliber teams. Super Bowl-caliber teams," said Wallace, who averaged 18.7 yards per catch in his first three NFL seasons. "I think that the right person or the right piece for those guys could put them over the top. All they need is one more piece ... most definitely, those are Super Bowl-contending teams."

But, Wallace later added, "I wouldn't want to go anywhere and leave the situation where I am at with a great quarterback, a great organization or go somewhere where I don't feel like I could succeed."

It's important to note Wallace didn't suggest San Francisco and New England as landing spots. He was asked a question about those teams, and he answered honestly. Nevertheless, this probably will cause all sorts of consternation in the Steel City, especially since Wallace also said "I definitely want to get my money," and Pittsburgh doesn't have the salary-cap room to use a $9 million franchise tag on him.

Meanwhile, the thought of Wallace effortlessly gliding under 60-yard bombs from Tom Brady just sent the majority of Jets fans into catatonic shock. Someone call Fireman Ed's emergency contact.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

As much as Chadman has advocated the re-signing of Mike Wallace, simple mathematics may mean the Steelers have to do without him. If this is the case, the passing game will take a step backward- at least for the short term. It may not be a death-knell, but it certainly won't help.

Antonio Brown looks a very good player, and like a few on here, Chadman has high hopes for Manny Sanders. But we'll miss that simple deep threat that Wallace provides.

Not sure if simply using a 1st round pick on a WR to replace Wallace is necessarily the best move.

If he does leave- Chadman wonders if a Roscoe Parrish, Eddie Royal or Chaz Schilens might provide that potential 'deep threat' at a reduced rate- obviously not as effectively as Wallace, but at least to a degree that might serve the purpose required.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Cooper DeJean CB
    2. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Blake Fisher OT
    3. Mason McCormick OC
    4. Cedric Gray ILB
    6. Jaden Crumedy DT
    6. Tahj Washington WR

Administrator

User Info Menu

[quote=Dee Dub]
    Quote Originally Posted by "D Rock":cnwv8cge
    Here is a list of reasons why I don't expect any team to give up a first round draft pick to get Mike Wallace from the Steelers:

Dwayne Bowe
    Vincent Jackson
    Wes Welker
    Stevie Johnson
    Brandon Lloyd
    Marques Colston
    Reggie Wayne
    Mario Manningham
    Laurent Robinson
    Robert Meachem
    Braylon Edwards
    and maybe Desean Jackson

All free agents. Maybe none are better than Wallace, but they also don't require a 1st round pick to obtain.
    Other than DeSean Jackson none of those receivers can take the top off of coverage like Wallace. Wallace, whether people understand this are not is a defense changer.[/quote:cnwv8cge]

Wayne in his prime could take the top off coverage.
    Jackson is solid.
    Bowe is solid but I would still take Wallace.

Colston is real good and can take the top off defenses still.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Administrator

User Info Menu

[quote=jhansle1]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by "D Rock":q2zsyj1t
    Here is a list of reasons why I don't expect any team to give up a first round draft pick to get Mike Wallace from the Steelers:

Dwayne Bowe
    Vincent Jackson
    Wes Welker
    Stevie Johnson
    Brandon Lloyd
    Marques Colston
    Reggie Wayne
    Mario Manningham
    Laurent Robinson
    Robert Meachem
    Braylon Edwards
    and maybe Desean Jackson

All free agents. Maybe none are better than Wallace, but they also don't require a 1st round pick to obtain.
    Other than DeSean Jackson none of those receivers can take the top off of coverage like Wallace. Wallace, whether people understand this are not is a defense changer.
    Wayne in his prime could take the top off coverage.
    Jackson is solid.
    Bowe is solid but I would still take Wallace.

Colston is real good and can take the top off defenses still.[/quote:q2zsyj1t]

Furthermore, I think Colson might get the largest contract out of this group unless someone overpays for a D or V Jackson
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.