Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wallace interviewed on NFL Radio

Legend

Re: Mike Wallace interviewed on NFL Radio

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    And he averaged 100 yards per game over the first 8 games.

Is Woodley not worthy of his deal because sometimes he averages a sack a game over one half of a season, and may only get a couple of sacks total in the other half?
    Half the board thinks Woodley was stealing from us last season.

I don't expect a player to have insane stats every game but if we give Wallace 9 mill a year will you think he is worth it if he disappears half the season?
    If you know what his presence on the field does to the rest of the offense...Absolutely! And you won't know what that value is unless he is not on the field. Maybe you get your wish.
    My wish is to keep Wallace without giving him 9 mill a year...

We also won't know Wallace's value until we see him in Haley's offense.... We are talking about Wallace in an Arians offense that is no more.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Guys like Wallace are easily replaced because it's all speed.
    Then why isn't the guy with the fastest 40 time at the Combine catching 1200 yards worth of passes per year and averaging a TD catch every other game played?

Because every team isn't the Steelers

In our offense we haven't had a hard time replacing WR's... you guys talk about Wallace like he is Jerry Rice.

He is Nate Washington with slightly better hands... look at our WR roster and tell me it's hard to find talent at WR. It's a myth.

Wallace isn't beating double teams, breaking tackles or ripping the ball out of the sky. He is running fast and catching the ball.
    Steelers lucked out on the current stable and you know that. Look at the high picks we spent over the years and you couldn't say it. That myth of yours was a reality for the Steelers over the years. The Steelers had the luck of hitting on Ward, Plax, & Holmes. There were alot of 1st & 2nd round picks spent on WR over the years. Wallace's potential could exceed all of those.

Wallace is beating double teams and that is what makes him so good. You know the game plans...I assume you watch the games. One false step by a safety on the play action and Wallace is running by both of them. You think because the Safety isn't close enough to touch him it wasn't his reponsiblity to help the CB over the top when he was standing on the hash to Wallace's side presnap? How many games did you watch where Wallace was on an island with 9 in the box. I can't remember seeing one snap all year with cover 0 when Wallace was on the field. He has more going for him than just "running by people". There are many who came into the league that had the speed to do that but amounted to nothing. I have seen many hand snags & broken tackles. Wallace has to be doing something else right to keep himself on the field.
    It's a different NFL... with so many HS and college teams running the spread WR's are going to be deep in every draft.

We can easily pick up another talented speedy WR and we will have the same results..

We'll probably be a better overall team if Ben doesn't spend half the game looking for Wallace...
    There are so many of them but nobody can find them. All the NFL teams are just loaded with 5 deep of talented speedy WR that they easily found in the draft. So why would they want or pay for Wallace? It is the market demand that is setting his price. 9 mil for someone who is so easy to find. Wow.

You are probably one that states you can find a OG later in the draft because there are so many of them and there is no value drafting them early but we haven't seen one since Faneca left.

So you think because so many high school & college teams run the spread offense they will produce these talented speedy WRs just on system. God given talent isn't needed just play in a spread offense coming up through the ranks and BOOM you get Mike Wallace. We there ya go....Wisdom at its best!

Hall of Famer

My wish is to keep Wallace without giving him 9 mill a year...

We also won't know Wallace's value until we see him in Haley's offense.... We are talking about Wallace in an Arians offense that is no more.
    He knew how to utilize his WRs in Arizona. If he is that coach that utilizes his talent best in his offensive design...I'm sure it won't take him too long to figure out what the strength of the offense is.

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    as much as i want wallace to remain, i wouldn't place the steelers in jeopardy over him. he's good but, he isn't great. maybe it was arians not using him corectly but, i don't see the team putting the future in harms way trying to sign wallace.
    we survived the losses of thigpen, burress, randell el, nate washgington becuase, many thought these guys were the heart beat of the offense and they were not and neither is wallace.
    i would have loved to see what haley could do with the weapons arians once had.
    All this time I thought you hated Arians and now you turn around and give him credit for making El, Washington and Wallace look like the heart beat of our offense?

How do you misuse talent and have the rest of the NFL willing to overpay for their services?

What would Wallace be worth if he was used correctly? $15 mill to $20 Mill?

I didn't say anyone was the heart beat of the offense infact, I said just the opposite. I was being nice when I said, maybe Arians wasn't using him correctly. The fact is, Arians wasn't using him correctly. Where were the slants, the underneath stuff ? Why else would Tomlin call him the one trick poney ?

Of all the receivers that we lost, I will miss Wallace the most if that does happen. Thigpen was always hurt, Randell el wasn't nothing more than a number three guy, Buress was tall and not very good hands or routes, Washington has the case of the drops, Santonio was good to great but, I had a feeling he wasn't going to live up to past events and would become a team distraction. Don't know why but, just something I felt.

As I said on another post, " too bad Haley won't have the players Arians had.

Legend

Fez, I never said you called them the heart beat. You implied they appeared to be the heartbeat when they weren't which means they looked better then they were. That sounds like a compliment to me.

I think Wallace caught a decent amount of passes underneath last year but IMO his vertical game is so strong his short game is forgettable. The other problem is Wallace lacks the hands and aggressive nature needed underneath. Its rare to see Wallace catch a pass cleanly with his hands and get up field. He still uses his body and arms too much.

Hall of Famer

Well we could agree on one thing...We are on to separate ends of the argument when it comes to the importance and talent of Wallace. You make him out to be a kid who should be not even tendered. We will see how the Steelers value him real soon. Hopefully for our sake we don't see how the rest of the league values him.

Legend

I'd love to keep Wallace. The guy is awesome.

I just don't value receivers so highly. I think we should be spending big money on QBs and Defense.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    I think we should be spending big money on QBs.
    We do.

I think we should be spending big money on Defense.
    We do this too.

Why do you think we came into this offseason as the team who was the highest over the cap, even though all our young, talented offensive weapons are still working off of relatively cheap rookie contracts?

Hall of Famer

I'd love to keep Wallace. The guy is awesome.

I just don't value receivers so highly. I think we should be spending big money on QBs and Defense.
    I agree with you Flip. We are secure at QB so the money can shift. As far as defense, we have locked up the stars. Problem is we have some big contracts on guys who need to be replaced and "replaced" is in the draft. The cycle will come around on those new faces when their rookie contract expires. That is the cycle we have seen for so long. They keep their own when the rookie contract is up and money just shifts as the contracts come up. 3 years down the road there will be alot of money shifting to the DL. Money at S & OLB will be shifted away so they better start making sure young players are lined up. It isn't an exact science where the money goes...It is a matter of when the money goes to a position when you draft well. We are seeing it that way right now unfold in front of us.

Arms wide open: Steelers want to keep Wallace in the fold

Friday, February 24, 2012
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Wallace, a restricted free agent, made the Pro Bowl last season, and Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert plans on doing anything he can to keep Wallace on his team.

INDIANAPOLIS -- With an NFL-best 27 catches of 40 yards or longer in three seasons with the Steelers, Mike Wallace has shown that he can run away from just about every defensive back in the league.

But no matter how fast Wallace can run, the Steelers do not plan to let their third-year wide receiver get away from them.

Not according to general manager Kevin Colbert.

"The thing I can say for sure about Mike is that we want Mike to finish his career with the Steelers," Colbert said Thursday at the NFL scouting combine at Lucas Oil Stadium. "And I'm very confident Mike wants to finish his career with the Steelers and play with a great quarterback like Ben Roethlisberger and the other receivers we have."

Wallace, a Pro Bowl receiver who led the team with 72 catches, 1,193 yards and eight touchdowns last season, is a restricted free agent -- meaning he is allowed to talk with other teams and even receive an offer sheet if someone is interested in signing him.

However, the Steelers are expected to offer Wallace the highest tender they can as a restricted free agent -- a move Colbert said will not occur until the Steelers learn what the salary cap will be for the 2012 season.

Once they do, the Steelers will have the right to match any offer Wallace might receive. If they choose not to match an offer, they would receive a No. 1 draft pick from the team that signed him.

But the latter does not appear to be an option.

"We're going to do everything we can to keep Mike Wallace with the Steelers," Colbert said. "We think he's only scratched the surface in what he can do. There's a lot left there that can still be developed. We're anxious to see it happen as a Steeler."

Wallace said in an interview on SiriusXM NFL Radio the other day that he would consider playing for the New England Patrios and San Francisco 49ers -- playoff teams who need outside receivers. Wallace made the comment in response to a question about those teams.

Colbert did not rule out the possibility the Steelers could use the franchise tag on Wallace, Although that seems unlikely because it would mean the Steelers would have to pay Wallace approximately $9 million annually -- a big number for a team trying to get under the salary cap.

Colbert said that determination cannot be made, either, until the salary cap is determined.

"We won't rule it out until we know what we're dealing with and a hard cap number, which we haven't gotten yet," Colbert said. "We have to leave that option open, absolutely."

Meantime, Colbert said wide receiver Hines Ward remains with the team and no decision will be made on him or other players until the Steelers know the final salary-cap ceiling.

The Steelers have been working to shave approximately $25 million off their salary cap. They have already released veterans Bryant McFadden and Arnaz Battle and have restructured the contracts of five players -- Ben Roethlisberger, LaMarr Woodley, Lawrence Timmons, Ike Taylor and Willie Colon.

"Hines Ward is still on our roster. We won't know. ... Again, once we get the salary cap figure, we'll know how much more work we have to do," Colbert said. "We've done some work in form of restructurings. We've done a few terminations. There will be more of both to come. We just don't know what combination that's going to be."

However, it doesn't appear that one of those players terminated will be nose tackle Casey Hampton, who is scheduled to count more than $8 million against the cap in 2012. Hampton, 34, will be coming off surgery to his left anterior cruciate ligament -- the second time he has had ACL surgery on his left knee -- but Colbert said he expects the five-time Pro Bowl nose tackle to be back with the team next season.

Hampton was injured in the playoff loss in Denver and had surgery Jan. 27. Colbert was asked if his return would be delayed as long as running Rashard Mendenhall, who also had ACL surgery after the season and might not be ready for the start of the regular season.

"It's a different position, obviously. You don't have to worry about speed, you don't have to worry about quick change of direction when you're talking about offensive or defensive linemen. And the one edge Casey will have on anybody is that he's been through this twice. He knows what to expect. He knows how to do this. He knows how much work he has to do and he knows how he feels."

Cobert also said the Steelers could bring both backup quarterbacks, Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich, each of whom are unrestricted free agents. He said Dennis Dixon, who also is unrestricted, will probably sign with another team.

"I hope so," Colbert said about the possibility of re-signing Batch and Leftwich. "I think they're comfortable being part of it and I think they're open to that. I think they want to wait and see what's out there for them. Playing behind a great quarterback like Ben, maybe you want to go somewhere else where there's an opportunity to start."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12055/12 ... z1nLF8jOWV