Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter Konz

Backup

User Info Menu

Peter Konz

Konz is said to be a first round talent but Im not sure about drafting Konz to play guard for us. And although Pouncey would be a great guard I dont think he wants to do it. He'll probably be gone by 1.24 anyway. What do you guys think about this dynamic?

Also usatoday has a great draft cheat sheet with prospective draft rounds by each player. Just looking at it we may be able to get a starting guard in the 2nd round. The one that Im most familiar with is Zeitler and they have him as a 2. Along with B. Washington and Osemele. Now we'd have to move up in the 2nd to get one of these guys if they made it to the 2nd, but would it be greedy/risky to wait to the 2nd for the most important guard position pick. I mean we could get an awesome BPA in the first then trade up in round 2 to get the guard we need to start come game one.

As it stands now do we take G/T Glenn if he is there at 1.24? I'm on the fence. Could someone post a pros vs cons breakdown of the top 8-10 guards available in this draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Peter Konz

Nothing wrong with the idea of Konz playing OG.

there are a few OC's that might make decent OG's- Jones from Georgia, Brewster from Ohio & the guy from Baylor stand out- good size, aggressive, mobile.

All sound like potential LG's to Chadman.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

For what it's worth, regarding trade-up scenarios in the second round vs. the first round:

According to the standard draft trade value chart...

First round trade-up scenarios:

Giving up our 2nd round pick should be able to move us up about 10 spots in round 1.

Giving up our 3rd round pick should be able to move us up about 6 spots in round 1.

Giving up our 4th round pick should be able to move us up about 3 spots in round 1.

Second round trade-up scenarios:

Giving up our 3rd round pick should be able to move us up about 15 spots in round 2.

Giving up our 4th round pick should be able to move us up about 5 spots in round 2.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Konz is 6'5 315 pounds. He is athletic and excels as a run blocker. He is able to hit multiple targets and is very smart. He is an efficient pass protector.

What exactly is your objection to him playing guard? Converting from center to guard is quite easy.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

He has played guard at Wisconsin before. He also would be good to have because of his versatility. He can start at three positions on the O-line when the inevitable injuries occur.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Would love to see the Steelers get Konz.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Konz is 6'5 315 pounds. He is athletic and excels as a run blocker. He is able to hit multiple targets and is very smart. He is an efficient pass protector.

What exactly is your objection to him playing guard? Converting from center to guard is quite easy.

No objections, just not sure. But you make a good case. That's really why I posted, to see what you guys think about him at 1.24 because many boards think the other guards are a reach in round 1.
    But watching him play im not sure if he is better than Zeitler at guard, not saying that he would have problems but could we get the same thing in early round 2 with a trade up. If he can show at the combine that he has much better feet then that would make me feel like its worth it. Hope he is still there when we pick.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    For what it's worth, regarding trade-up scenarios in the second round vs. the first round:

According to the standard draft trade value chart...

First round trade-up scenarios:

Giving up our 2nd round pick should be able to move us up about 10 spots in round 1.

Giving up our 3rd round pick should be able to move us up about 6 spots in round 1.

Giving up our 4th round pick should be able to move us up about 3 spots in round 1.

Second round trade-up scenarios:

Thanks for this Ruthless. its very informative.

So we could get an awesome impact player in the 1st and maybe move up in the 2nd to get a day 1 starting guard (top 3 or 4 ranked guard) with our 3rd pick. This could get interesting.

Giving up our 3rd round pick should be able to move us up about 15 spots in round 2.

Giving up our 4th round pick should be able to move us up about 5 spots in round 2.

Legend

User Info Menu

CBS Sports ranks Konz as #22; Glenn is right behind him.

Konz sounds like the type of high caharacter player the Steelers go after. His injuries however would cause me some pause especially a young man getting blood clots.

22. *Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin, 6-5, 315, 1 Konz (pronounced "Kahnz"), showed his character even as he made the decision to opt for the draft after his junior year. He wrote a letter of explanation to Badger fans, telling them among other things that he crammed 18 units into the fall semester so he could graduate this spring and, oh yes, he was getting married. Konz was equally accountable on the field, where he always found a way to get the job done. His alertness compensates for average quickness so he still gets in position in time to take on defenders. Konz is more of a persistent, wall-off type of blocker than a physical mauler. In order to play in 30 college games, he overcame several setbacks, including blood clots in both lungs (2009), a severely sprained ankle (2010) and a dislocated left ankle that kept him out of three games before he returned to play in the 2012 Rose Bowl against Oregon.

23. Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia, 6-6, 346, 1-2 This massive man looked like a natural when he was first thrown into a starting role as a freshman. Glenn went on to tie a school record with 50 total starts, including 28 at left guard, 18 at left tackle and four at right guard. There was even talk about trying him on the defensive line, but it didn't happen. Glenn obliterates defenders on the run and is excellent in pass protection, certainly a factor in Georgia finishing third in the SEC with an average of 413 yards a game. Glenn appears most natural at guard, but was used at left tackle last season and in Senior Bowl workouts. He struggled against speed rushers, so expect him to be inside in the NFL. He has all the strength you would expect of a man his size and then some, but it his footwork on pass blocking and ability to get downfield to pick off second level defenders that is a surprise, both to scouts and the overwhelmed defenders themselves.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    CBS Sports ranks Konz as #22; Glenn is right behind him.

Konz sounds like the type of high caharacter player the Steelers go after. His injuries however would cause me some pause especially a young man getting blood clots.

22. *Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin, 6-5, 315, 1 Konz (pronounced "Kahnz"), showed his character even as he made the decision to opt for the draft after his junior year. He wrote a letter of explanation to Badger fans, telling them among other things that he crammed 18 units into the fall semester so he could graduate this spring and, oh yes, he was getting married. Konz was equally accountable on the field, where he always found a way to get the job done. His alertness compensates for average quickness so he still gets in position in time to take on defenders. Konz is more of a persistent, wall-off type of blocker than a physical mauler. In order to play in 30 college games, he overcame several setbacks, including blood clots in both lungs (2009), a severely sprained ankle (2010) and a dislocated left ankle that kept him out of three games before he returned to play in the 2012 Rose Bowl against Oregon.

23. Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia, 6-6, 346, 1-2 This massive man looked like a natural when he was first thrown into a starting role as a freshman. Glenn went on to tie a school record with 50 total starts, including 28 at left guard, 18 at left tackle and four at right guard. There was even talk about trying him on the defensive line, but it didn't happen. Glenn obliterates defenders on the run and is excellent in pass protection, certainly a factor in Georgia finishing third in the SEC with an average of 413 yards a game. Glenn appears most natural at guard, but was used at left tackle last season and in Senior Bowl workouts. He struggled against speed rushers, so expect him to be inside in the NFL. He has all the strength you would expect of a man his size and then some, but it his footwork on pass blocking and ability to get downfield to pick off second level defenders that is a surprise, both to scouts and the overwhelmed defenders themselves.
    I really think Glenn will be gone by pick 18 or so. I'm not sure why so many analysts peg him as a guard only. He could in the least be a decent RT in the NFL at some point. So many analysts have him going after Konz. I don't get it. All things being equal, he seems like a better player.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.