Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peter Konz

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Peter Konz

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    I would take Decastro over any interior OL or ILB in this draft. I would go as far to say there might be only two OTs I would take over DeCastro in this draft. Pre combine & workouts....There is about 22-24 first round talents in this draft and everyone else is just lining up behind them.

As far as Konz, you put him in a draft with Mack or Pouncey I fear he gets pushed out of the 1st round. I think he gets overdrafted because he is Tops at his position. If you evaluate him as a G I feel there are better Gs than him including his team mate Zeitler who is a 2nd rounder. He is more of a positional cut off blocker. I think he would excell on a team who is in shotgun alot. He is going to struggle for a couple years with a guy lined up over him in a base front when they are coming downhill. I know he has alot of fans on this board but I would be very unhappy with him at #24.
    I totally agree with you about DeCastro being the better than some of the OTs and Konz being somewhat elevated because of the position.

I like Zeitler but pretty sure he doesn't last until our pick at #56.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    I would take Decastro over any interior OL or ILB in this draft. I would go as far to say there might be only two OTs I would take over DeCastro in this draft. Pre combine & workouts....There is about 22-24 first round talents in this draft and everyone else is just lining up behind them.

As far as Konz, you put him in a draft with Mack or Pouncey I fear he gets pushed out of the 1st round. I think he gets overdrafted because he is Tops at his position. If you evaluate him as a G I feel there are better Gs than him including his team mate Zeitler who is a 2nd rounder. He is more of a positional cut off blocker. I think he would excell on a team who is in shotgun alot. He is going to struggle for a couple years with a guy lined up over him in a base front when they are coming downhill. I know he has alot of fans on this board but I would be very unhappy with him at #24.
    I totally agree with you about DeCastro being the better than some of the OTs and Konz being somewhat elevated because of the position.

This really is setting up to be the draft where the Steelers won't be running to the podium to quickly. Obviously Decastro would be written on the card before the commish finishes saying "The Steelers are on the clock." If Glenn is still there, I think it will be easy choice unless something happens here over the process. But if not, I hope that phone is ringing. The group of prospects outside of those guys is so tight yet the drop off is really hurting the value. You add a name here or there to the draft you wouldn't hesitate to put them ahead of guys in the 25-32 range.

Trading back could really still get a guy that is on the board. Still get a Still, Poe, Hightower, Worthy, etc. Guys may move up and down here but like I said, there is some legitimate 1st rounders and the rest are lining up behind them. I truely believe this draft has much more value in rounds 2-4. I may seriously consider trading completely out of the 1st round for the right price just to get 4 or 5 picks in the top 100 rather than just 3. I think there is just as good of a chance some of these 2nd & 3rd rounders seeing the field as early as some of the 1st that may still be on the board with little to no drop off in production. I hope the Steelers don't face that choice with nobody wanting to trade up if their guys are off the board.

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=JUST-PLAIN-NASTY]
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by "JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":3u99gp4t

This really is setting up to be the draft where the Steelers won't be running to the podium to quickly. Obviously Decastro would be written on the card before the commish finishes saying "The Steelers are on the clock." If Glenn is still there, I think it will be easy choice unless something happens here over the process. But if not, I hope that phone is ringing. The group of prospects outside of those guys is so tight yet the drop off is really hurting the value. You add a name here or there to the draft you wouldn't hesitate to put them ahead of guys in the 25-32 range.

Trading back could really still get a guy that is on the board. Still get a Still, Poe, Hightower, Worthy, etc. Guys may move up and down here but like I said, there is some legitimate 1st rounders and the rest are lining up behind them. I truely believe this draft has much more value in rounds 2-4. I may seriously consider trading completely out of the 1st round for the right price just to get 4 or 5 picks in the top 100 rather than just 3. I think there is just as good of a chance some of these 2nd & 3rd rounders seeing the field as early as some of the 1st that may still be on the board with little to no drop off in production. I hope the Steelers don't face that choice with nobody wanting to trade up if their guys are off the board.[/quote:3u99gp4t]

I would not hesoitate to trade out of Round 1 if Glenn and DeCastro are both gone. The are Round 2 guys like Zeitler, Brandon Washington, Osemele, etc. whch could fix the Guard position.

At ILB, if we miss on Hightower with more picks you go for: Burfict or Audie Cole.

If you miss on Poe, you get Thompson (Clemson), Mike Martin, Ta'amu or Fangupo in Rounds 2-4. Especially for a two down position.

I agree that this draft will be a success or failure based upon Rounds 2-4 because we have to get younger sooner rather than later in key positions and we need more bodies to do that to fix the cap problem.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Isn't there a lot of talk about how "raw" Poe is? I cant see the Steelers drafting him if this is the case. I know people will point to the selection of Timmons, but I don't see it happening. There seems to be far too many other positions of need they can fill with their first round pick than taking a chance on a 2-down player.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    Isn't there a lot of talk about how "raw" Poe is? I cant see the Steelers drafting him if this is the case. I know people will point to the selection of Timmons, but I don't see it happening. There seems to be far too many other positions of need they can fill with their first round pick than taking a chance on a 2-down player.
    Poe is raw but that has alot to do with his level of competition and coaching. The interview process & drills will determine if the raw is a concern or simple coaching to tap his potential. The determination of Poe being 2 down player is what is up in the air. Is he a Ngata or a Ted Washington? Most would say they would be happy with either. NT is a positions of need right up there with G & ILB. Rate it anyway you want but that is the big 3.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yeah, we'd all love top 12-15 talent at pick 24 like DeCastro. But, it isn't happening. I don't think Glen will be anywhere near our pick either. I don't get why evaluators see him as only a guard. Dude looks like a perfect RT to me.

I believe that Zeitler is a little stronger than Konz at the POA. But, I think Konz is a better pass blocker. Also, I felt like Zeitler was late off the snap in some of the games I watched. To be fair, I have never seen Konz play guard. So, it is not a fair comparison.

I like your point though that we can get a pretty good guard in round two (or maybe even three) with Zeitler, Silatou, Osemele, Washington, and company.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree, If Glenn is gone at 24 we should look to fall back and gain more picks, the draft is said to be deep in G and NT.

Konz might be the highest rated center, but that 18 reps in the bench press should drop him some more.

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=JUST-PLAIN-NASTY]
    Quote Originally Posted by "NW Steeler":9ih9gz78
    Poe is raw but that has alot to do with his level of competition and coaching. The interview process & drills will determine if the raw is a concern or simple coaching to tap his potential. The determination of Poe being 2 down player is what is up in the air. Is he a Ngata or a Ted Washington? Most would say they would be happy with either. NT is a positions of need right up there with G & ILB. Rate it anyway you want but that is the big 3.[/quote:9ih9gz78]

Actually, in Chadman's opinion, despite how potentially dominant Poe could be, his level of competition should just about rule him out of Steelers contention.

He simply does not pass the Big Production/ Big Program mantra that Tomlin & Colbert have used in the first 2 rounds of every draft they have been together.

Hightower fits the bill & ticks every box. Chadman really likes Poe, but would be equally as happy with Hightower. After these guys, Chadman is sure Colbert & Tomlin will have a "First Round Bubble" that includes a couple of OL players, a WR, a SS, potentially another DL guy and possibly even a TE....names witheld at this point...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Konz is 6'5 315 pounds. He is athletic and excels as a run blocker. He is able to hit multiple targets and is very smart. He is an efficient pass protector.

What exactly is your objection to him playing guard? Converting from center to guard is quite easy.
    I like that.
    I haven't started following; I will now that the combine is started. This DeCastro kid... is he a pipe dream (in the last part of the first round)?
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Backup

User Info Menu

18 reps. Pedestrian at best. I suppose my questions about Konz were well founded. I am thinking that we might be able to trade up in round 2 to get a day 1 starter at the guard position.

If we cant afford Wallace then imagine getting our solution at guard and still having 2 first round selections.