Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Ravens and Bengals pursue Wallace?

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Will Ravens and Bengals pursue Wallace?

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    The Ravens are projected to have significant cap room, but Ray Rice (who is currently asking for Adrian Peterson money) could take up a significant portion of that cap room.
    They also need to worry about Flacco and Grubbs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Baltimore already has their "Wallace" in Torrey Smith. They also have a great possession receiver in Boldin. Add to that a franchise RB (who they need to drop a ton of coin on) and top FB, as well as a solid O line who will be losing a guard with all probability.

Then account for the fact that they are looking at two key LBs who need to either be resigned or replaced and you have a team not looking at Mike Wallace.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Bottomline is that no way I give Wallace a $9m+ Franchise Tag.

I would gladly take the Bumgals #1 so that we could get Cordy Glenn with their pick and still get a good WR at #24 or another OL.

Not sure that Wallace and AJ Green would be a good fit. They would prersent problems but both would want to go deep on every play.
    The Bengals could get scary with Wallace on the field with Green and Shipley. They have two #1's this year, so they wouldn't lose much. The worst thing, IMO, is that Wallace would probably be good for their young locker room.
    the problem is just about every team would be scary to defend with wallace on their team. i agree the steelers shouldnt franchise wallace unless that is the only way to keep him a steeler. letting wallace walk would be a huge mistake imo.

people say he is only a wr a good wr is easy to find, well cant you say almost the same thing about OLB's in lebeau's system? they paid woodley big bucks, i think wallace is just as important to the offense if not more important than woodley. the most important thing to me is wallace is still a young player.

i would have no problems with the steelers cutting older players who make big money in order to keep wallace. smith, hampton, farrior and foote are as good as gone. ward might be gone but he should be cheap to keep. i might even throw a player like harrison in there since he is approaching his mid 30's and makes good money. the steelers need to do whatever it takes to keep the younger talent on the team.

Legend

User Info Menu

2011 hurt Wallace a little and maybe that'll end up helping us keep him. Wallace returned to the "one trick pony" (straight line speed) that Tomlin coined him a few years ago. We didn't see him make the tough catches that Brown did. He hasn't been agressive in going after the ball. Too often he's waiting for it to come to him. Maybe he was just thinking too much last year?

I think you can teach him to be better and more agressive. You can't teach speed. I'd like to see him stick around.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks
    The Ravens are projected to have significant cap room, but Ray Rice (who is currently asking for Adrian Peterson money) could take up a significant portion of that cap room.
    They also need to worry about Flacco and Grubbs.
    Good point.

The Ravens are also a team that drafts well, making the first round pick more of a loss for them. The Bengals have drafted better recently, but their ability to wisely use a first round pick is still in question. Same with the Pats*, who have had a lot of misses lately in attempting to find a deep threat (Brandon Tate, Chad Jackson).

Legend

User Info Menu

Ravens unlikely to pursue Wallace

February 24th, 2012
    INDIANAPOLIS –

A nightmare, one even worse for Steelers fans than (gasp!) Todd Haley and Ben Roethlisberger not talking for weeks after the former’s hiring, is unlikely to happen.

The Ravens have been one of the teams linked to restricted free agent Mike Wallace through connecting-of-the-dots speculation. But general manager Ozzie Newsome all but took the Ravens out of the running for Wallace, who can entertain offers from other teams if the Steelers only make a tender offer to him.

The Steelers are leaning toward using the highest tender on Wallace instead of a franchise tag. If they go that route, teams still have to give up a first-round draft pick to sign Wallace away from the Steelers.

And Newsome values first-round draft picks as much as Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert does for the same reason: both have been so successful picking in that round.

Newsome also pointed out another drawback of signing a restricted free agent.

“At that point the player and the agent has the leverage because you have to do a deal that you don’t think the other team is going to match,” Newsome said Friday at the NFL Combine, “and then giving up a first-round pick? That first-round pick, the amount of money you have to pay over the next four years, is not like it was in the previous CBA so you have to factor all of those things in before you decide to make that decision. There’s some teams that have two (first-round picks) this year? Could they do it? Possibly but they’ll be thinking about all of those other ramifications.”

Does that mean Newsome has ruled out signing a restricted free agent to bolster Baltimore’s receiving corps?

“When I wake up tomorrow, I just never know what I might do,” he said.

– Scott Brown

[url="http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/02/24/ravens-unlikely-to-pursue-wallace/"]http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... e-wallace/[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Latest on the Wallace decision
    Mike Wallace | Steelers | Interested: 49ers?, Patriots?
    Posted 8:37 AM ET

In spite of the fact that they leave themselves open to other teams taking advantage of a rare opportunity, it seems that the Pittsburgh Steelers will not be using their franchise tag on wide receiver Mike Wallace this offseason. But that doesn't mean we should expect a flurry of teams trying to sign him to an RFA offer sheet, either.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: "It seems to me that Mike Wallace will remain with the Steelers for at least one year because no other team will sign him to a contract. Why would another team pay all that money in order to convince him to sign AND give their first-round pick to the Steelers?"

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports: "Don't count on Steelers receiver Mike Wallace going anywhere. The Steelers, who are trying to clear cap room to keep him, will not let him go. The idea that some team will sign him to an offer sheet that the Steelers won't match isn't going to happen. For one, it will cost a lot more to pay Mike Wallace than it would for a first-round receiver. Two, the Steelers would match -- so all you would be doing is their negotiating."

Even so, we simply can't rule out a team making a play for Wallace, especially considering that there are two particular clubs with low first-round picks that are in need of a performer of Wallace's ilk at WR:

- Tim Kavanagh

Jamison Hensley
    Is he worth the No. 30 or 31 pick?

"The Ravens are out, and the Bengals would surprise me at this point, too. But I wouldn't rule out teams desperate for a deep threat like the Patriots and 49ers. New England coach Bill Belichick is always thinking outside the box."
    [url]http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors/_/date/20120229#14272[/url]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Latest on the Wallace decision
    Mike Wallace | Steelers | Interested: 49ers?, Patriots?
    Posted 8:37 AM ET

In spite of the fact that they leave themselves open to other teams taking advantage of a rare opportunity, it seems that the Pittsburgh Steelers will not be using their franchise tag on wide receiver Mike Wallace this offseason. But that doesn't mean we should expect a flurry of teams trying to sign him to an RFA offer sheet, either.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: "It seems to me that Mike Wallace will remain with the Steelers for at least one year because no other team will sign him to a contract. Why would another team pay all that money in order to convince him to sign AND give their first-round pick to the Steelers?"

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports: "Don't count on Steelers receiver Mike Wallace going anywhere. The Steelers, who are trying to clear cap room to keep him, will not let him go. The idea that some team will sign him to an offer sheet that the Steelers won't match isn't going to happen. For one, it will cost a lot more to pay Mike Wallace than it would for a first-round receiver. Two, the Steelers would match -- so all you would be doing is their negotiating."

Even so, we simply can't rule out a team making a play for Wallace, especially considering that there are two particular clubs with low first-round picks that are in need of a performer of Wallace's ilk at WR:

- Tim Kavanagh

Jamison Hensley
    Is he worth the No. 30 or 31 pick?

"The Ravens are out, and the Bengals would surprise me at this point, too. But I wouldn't rule out teams desperate for a deep threat like the Patriots and 49ers. New England coach Bill Belichick is always thinking outside the box."
    [url]http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors/_/date/20120229#14272[/url]
    For what it's worth, I actually know Tim Kavanagh, the guy that writes the Insider content for ESPN. He went to college with one of my friends and we've hung out a few times. Nice guy, but no more of an insider than anybody on this forum.

Legend

User Info Menu

For what it's worth, I actually know Tim Kavanagh, the guy that writes the Insider content for ESPN. He went to college with one of my friends and we've hung out a few times. Nice guy, but no more of an insider than anybody on this forum.
    And just think...you don't have to pay to subscribe to read our Insider content.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.