Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mendenhall may not be back from injury in 2012

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Mendenhall may not be back from injury in 2012

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Some fans will never be sold on Redman because he wasn't drafted.
    I can't speak for everybody, but I don't think that Redman is the concern. The concern, at least for me, is the depth behind Redman. Clay does not impress me, Dwyer ended the year on IR and is still unproven, and Batch is coming off an ACL injury. Redman runs with a bit of a bruising style, and those guys can tend to get banged up a bit.

Whether a low level free agent or a mid-late round pick, I think the Steelers need somebody else to put in the mix behind Redman.
    I think Redman is going to get 15 touches a game.... I could see if we were trying to pound it like we did with Bettis and Foster but we aren't going to be a run first team.

I don't see Redman as a bruising type RB either... he is shifty in tight spaces and rarely gets blown up. He is an Emmit Smith type running back.... Not the fastest, not the biggest, but somehow he gets 4 to 6 yards without taking big shots.

Cleveland game when he fumbled in the hole was the first time I've seen Redman get popped.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

I can't speak for everybody, but I don't think that Redman is the concern. The concern, at least for me, is the depth behind Redman. Clay does not impress me, Dwyer ended the year on IR and is still unproven, and Batch is coming off an ACL injury. Redman runs with a bit of a bruising style, and those guys can tend to get banged up a bit.

Whether a low level free agent or a mid-late round pick, I think the Steelers need somebody else to put in the mix behind Redman.
    I agree with this. Certainly like to see more of Clay - was there something specific for you that was unimpressive?

Dwyer has been a HUGE disappoinment. For some odd reson he thought getting drafted late automatically meant making the team and he really didn't try. If he comes in overweight again I'd cut his fat, lazy a$$. He woulnd't even be on the team if Batch had not gottern injured. And I loved this pick. Thought the Steelers had gotten a steal...

Love Batch's heart (he says alll the right things) and he's got some great college highlights but he's 100% unproven and coming off a bum wheel. There are most definitely depth issues.

Legend

User Info Menu

did we cut Mewelde?

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Backup

User Info Menu

The thought that occurs to me is this: If the Steelers don't think that Mendenhall will be ready for the start of the 2012 season, and might even miss the entire season, then what do they think about Casey Hampton's torn ACL? Hampton is 10 years older and weighs 100 pounds more than Mendenhall, and this is the third time he's blown out an ACL. My guess would be that the Steelers think it's even less likely that Hampton will play much in 2012, and given his cap number I think that the Steelers will have to waive Hampton. Which makes finding a nose tackle, either in the draft or free agency, a must.

Legend

User Info Menu

did we cut Mewelde?
    He's not under contract.

And this was from another article. On the surface it doesn't sound as if there is much interest in bringing him back:

"So, Mendenhall might play in 2012. But it also might not be at the start of the season and he might not have the same ability after his knee injury. Plus, he's in the last year of his contract.

Colbert seemed OK with the backs left -- Isaac Redman, Jonathan Dwyer, and two '11 rookies -- John Clay and Baron Batch. Batch himself had ACL surgery after a training camp injury."

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm still not sold on James Harrison for that very reason.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ter1230_4
    The thought that occurs to me is this: If the Steelers don't think that Mendenhall will be ready for the start of the 2012 season, and might even miss the entire season, then what do they think about Casey Hampton's torn ACL? Hampton is 10 years older and weighs 100 pounds more than Mendenhall, and this is the third time he's blown out an ACL. My guess would be that the Steelers think it's even less likely that Hampton will play much in 2012, and given his cap number I think that the Steelers will have to waive Hampton. Which makes finding a nose tackle, either in the draft or free agency, a must.
    Colbert addressed Hampton's ACL vs. Mendenhall's ACL:

Colbert did not say that Mendenhall would not play in 2012, but "it possibly could" wipe out his season. Mendenhall had surgery on his knee in January after his injury Jan. 1 in Cleveland.

"Potentially, Rashard will not be ready for camp. I never feel good about an ACL until a year. I'm not a doctor, but that's my mindset. If he gets back before that, to me it's a bonus, so is he potentially a candidate for PUP? Absolutely."

Teams place a player on the Physically Unable to Perform list to open training camp if there is a reason they cannot play. Nose tackle Casey Hampton, who also had ACL surgery after the season, could also open camp on that list, but Colbert was more optimistic that Hampton will play in 2012.

"Sometimes defensive linemen, offensive linemen recover a little quicker because they don't have to regain their speed or stop and start ability."
    [url]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12045/1210003-66.stm[/url]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost

I agree with this. Certainly like to see more of Clay - was there something specific for you that was unimpressive?

Dwyer has been a HUGE disappoinment. For some odd reson he thought getting drafted late automatically meant making the team and he really didn't try. If he comes in overweight again I'd cut his fat, lazy a$$. He woulnd't even be on the team if Batch had not gottern injured. And I loved this pick. Thought the Steelers had gotten a steal...

Love Batch's heart (he says alll the right things) and he's got some great college highlights but he's 100% unproven and coming off a bum wheel. There are most definitely depth issues.
    Agree on Batch. Everything I've seen written by him makes him seem like a guy who really appreciates everything he has. Very easy guy to root for.

As for Clay, he had the one TD run (through a huge hole), but otherwise, he didn't look to be particularly quick to hit the hole or as powerful as you'd hope for his size. And his speed is an issue.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ter1230_4
    Hampton is toast. If anyone thinks anything different, then you obviously have never been 35 years old (or whatever he is)!

He's old (for a football player), he's made boatloads of money with lots of accomplishments (i.e. contented), and he's probably morbidly obese (going by the textbook definition).

As for the RB question, I'm confident in Redman. Truth is, Redman has no one to blame but himself, if he doesn't set up the rest of his life over the course of the next NFL season. Of course, he could get hurt, but the bottom line is that he has the opportunity in front of him. If he comes and lives in the Steeler facility and shows the FO that HE's the man (i.e. that they don't have to consider someone else in the draft), and he produces a strong year as a starter (i.e. 1,000+ yards), he can get himself a nice contract that can set him up for the rest of his life.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hampton is morbidly obese?

I'm sorry but all the talk about Hampton's weight is ignorant. Wilfork and every other NT who is considered the best in the biz are all morbidly obese

The guy is a NT. I think Colbert or someone in the FO mentioned that an ACL for a DL is much different then an ACL for a RB. Hampton's job is to plug up the middle... nothing more.

If Hampton isn't brought back it's because of his salary not his weight. I guess all these NT's are in shape.