Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Patriots to Target Wallace in FA?

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Patriots to Target Wallace in FA?

While many prior to the season believed Chad Ochocinco was going to be the difference-maker on offense, Ochocinco hadn't been the type of receiver the Patriots needed last year for a very long time. Ochocinco is an expert route runner with precise feet and safe hands.
    His inability to comprehend the offense fully kept him on the sidelines for most of the season, but he and Wes Welker, along with Deion Branch, wouldn't have been a complementary pairing either way.
    For the life of me, I don't get this. Is the offense THAT complicated or is Ocho that dumb or both?

How does the "Master", "Genius" Belichick not get more out of Ocho than he did? I mean the guy was completely useless to them for the entire season. Seriously, how is that possible?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Mike Wallace scores a TD ever 7.125 times he receives a ball, Antonio Brown scores a TD every 42.5 times he receives the ball over their careers.

And teams dont roll coverage over the top to stop Antonio Brown deep.

Are you kidding me?

No. When I look at him and his consistency, or lack thereof, I dont consider him elite. But that is only my opinion as a fan. Cant argue with the numbers you have presented, but I dont think he is worth top money if that is what he is offered. Once again, only my opinion.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich
    While many prior to the season believed Chad Ochocinco was going to be the difference-maker on offense, Ochocinco hadn't been the type of receiver the Patriots needed last year for a very long time. Ochocinco is an expert route runner with precise feet and safe hands.
    His inability to comprehend the offense fully kept him on the sidelines for most of the season, but he and Wes Welker, along with Deion Branch, wouldn't have been a complementary pairing either way.
    For the life of me, I don't get this. Is the offense THAT complicated or is Ocho that dumb or both?

How does the "Master", "Genius" Belichick not get more out of Ocho than he did? I mean the guy was completely useless to them for the entire season. Seriously, how is that possible?
    Chad is 34. Hines is 35. Father Time catches up with these guys.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

I love Brown, but how good would he be if Wallace wasn't there to take the Double team. In the Second half Teams really took away the over the top Deep and begged for any of our other receivers to beat them.

Wallace is Elite. He just isnt a big strong guy who breaks Tackles but he is the guy you have to Double team or he will get over the top of you. It was up to BA to move him around and get him other ways of being effective.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[quote=NW Steeler]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dee Dub":2m2nyewl
    Mike Wallace scores a TD ever 7.125 times he receives a ball, Antonio Brown scores a TD every 42.5 times he receives the ball over their careers.

Are you kidding me?

No. When I look at him and his consistency, or lack thereof, I dont consider him elite. But that is only my opinion as a fan. Cant argue with the numbers you have presented, but I dont think he is worth top money if that is what he is offered. Once again, only my opinion.[/quote:2m2nyewl]

Wallace has only been the #1 go-to guy for about a season and a half and he is putting up these numbers? What if Wallace continues to improve like he has over his first 3 years? Then what? You can bet any team who is interested in him has already played that tape through. You are then looking at off the chart numbers.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd take a #1 for Wallace in a heartbeat.
    IMHO, Wallaces' abilities in the redzone keep him from being elite.
    Id rather have a big fast pass catching TE like Gronkowski then Wallace.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    No way in hell the Steelers will match a huge offer if Wallace is given one. He is NOT elite. Count me in on the take pick #31 for him. We will miss his ability to stretch the field, but Brown can do that too. Think he is gone.
    You're singing my song. Fast does not equal elite.

At #31 we will be able to find someone who can do a more than adequete job of stretching the field, plus they will be bigger receivers similar to Hakeem Nicks. We are missing that right now

might have to use one at 24 instead of 31.. not sure who would be left there.

i think floyd or jefferies would be gone

as far as drafting D with 2 1st round picks..

WHISKEY

TANGO

FOXTROT

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[quote=Dee Dub][quote="NW Steeler":1qrlxg6i]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dee Dub":1qrlxg6i

Are you kidding me?

No. When I look at him and his consistency, or lack thereof, I dont consider him elite. But that is only my opinion as a fan. Cant argue with the numbers you have presented, but I dont think he is worth top money if that is what he is offered. Once again, only my opinion.[/quote:1qrlxg6i]

Wallace has only been the #1 go-to guy for about a season and a half and he is putting up these numbers? What if Wallace continues to improve like he has over his first 3 years? Then what? You can bet any team who is interested in him has already played that tape through. You are then looking at off the chart numbers.[/quote:1qrlxg6i]

Well if teams are looking at him like you are - and they very well may be - he will probably get an offer that the Steelers wont be able to match anyway.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    And Mike Vrabel had a higher percentage of TD's per catch than Hines...

However, these numbers certainly prove which one tends to have the long-ball tossed his way once or twice a game vs which one is the possesion WR.

If i could only have one ingredient of a great WR, personally would rather have guys who help me move the sticks instead of the guy who is an occasional deep threat (i.e., 1 or 2 ATTEMPTED long balls a game). There are a lot of 3rd and 6 or 7's during a game... give me the Hines Ward/Cris Carter and I can find somebody who runs a 4.3 in the next draft.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel
    I doubt Steelers will strengthen an AFC rival but if Mike Wallace wants top WR money and Cheatroits are willing to give 1st and 3rd i would do the trade.
    We've been talking about this very possibilily in Chadman's Draft and Free Agency Thread. We don't have to agree to any trade to lose Wallace. If we give him the highest RFA tender, New England could just offer him a monster deal that we will not be able to match due to cap restraints, and we will have no choice but to lose him for only the 31st overall pick.
    Ruthless, I thought the highest tender was a 1st and a 3rd round pick. Has that changed with the new CBA?
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.