Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joe Pa's legacy

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Joe Pa's legacy

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    JoePa was a GREAT, GREAT person who did many wonderful things for his players, Penn State, and a variety of other people/organizations over decades of time.

He did what he was legally supposed to do in this case. Should/could he have done more -- possibly. Although the same law that required him to report it also specifies reporting in the chain of command. (e.g. Not go outside directly).

As we all know, i'm no PSU fan. But, the minute i knew of this story, i began to feel sorry for JoePa. I knew it would ruin his legacy, one of the true gentlemen who coached simply for the love of the game. To my understanding, he did do what he's legally required to do. He told his boss of his suspicions and even had the guy removed from his coaching staff. I get the impression that he had no concrete evidence (i.e., never witnessed this stuff).

I put myself in the place. If someone told me they suspected a coworker of doing something illegal at work, my obligation is to tell my boss or HR or something like that. If my boss tells me it has been investigated and the person was still an employee, would i then turn around and go to the cops? I doubt it - not if I didn't know for a fact what was going on.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

According to the article posted he DID go to the police. So let me get this straight ... he reported it up the school administration chain and to the police. I really don't know what else he was supposed to do.

I'm a Pitt graduate but I always loved Penn State and Joe Paterno. Only when they played Pitt would I root against them. I'm still at a loss why this would tarnish the reputation of the school. It tarnishes Sandusky ... if he's guilty then I don't have a problem with them dragging him through the streets flogging him as they go.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    JoePa was a GREAT, GREAT person who did many wonderful things for his players, Penn State, and a variety of other people/organizations over decades of time.

He did what he was legally supposed to do in this case. Should/could he have done more -- possibly. Although the same law that required him to report it also specifies reporting in the chain of command. (e.g. Not go outside directly).

As we all know, i'm no PSU fan. But, the minute i knew of this story, i began to feel sorry for JoePa. I knew it would ruin his legacy, one of the true gentlemen who coached simply for the love of the game. To my understanding, he did do what he's legally required to do. He told his boss of his suspicions and even had the guy removed from his coaching staff. I get the impression that he had no concrete evidence (i.e., never witnessed this stuff).

I put myself in the place. If someone told me they suspected a coworker of doing something illegal at work, my obligation is to tell my boss or HR or something like that. If my boss tells me it has been investigated and the person was still an employee, would i then turn around and go to the cops? I doubt it - not if I didn't know for a fact what was going on.
    If you had Joe's influence at your job and kept hearing accusations and stories about the charity that employee was running and didn't go to the cops or beat him senseless with you 2 hands I don't know how you could look at yourself in the mirror.

The wasn't your typical employee/employer relationship. Joe had the power to have Sandusky locked up. It wasn't like the accusations stopped once Sandusky stepped down. They accusations kept circulating and he was barred from a local HS a few years ago due to kids complaining about his actions.

If I'm in Joe's shoes I know Sandusky could tarnish my image so I would make sure he was dealt with properly.

This was about protecting the PSU brand from scandal.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille

If you had Joe's influence at your job and kept hearing accusations and stories about the charity that employee was running and didn't go to the cops or beat him senseless with you 2 hands I don't know how you could look at yourself in the mirror.

The wasn't your typical employee/employer relationship. Joe had the power to have Sandusky locked up.

This was about protecting the PSU brand from scandal.
    Over accusations? Nope. If I saw it, sure.

For example, over the years, my coworkers have linked me to sleeping with several women that work with me. I've been good friends with several and were I not married, it woulda been on like donkey kong...

But, i digress. Stories/rumors? Nope... with proof, sure.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

While rumors of sleeping with women while married is serious it's no where close to pedophile accusations.

It was witnessed.... he was forced to retire...

Everyone knows a pedophile doesn't stop and can't surpress that sickness. He has a charity with kids and takes trips to bowl games with them? Are you freaking kidding me?

There is no way I could have Sandusky anywhere near PSU if I'm Joe...
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Anyone who works for a school or educational entity is considered a mandatory reporter. Joe did follow the University procedure but he did not follow legal statute.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pick6
    And for those of us who are not afraid please notice that the last DA who investigated Sandusky has never been found since 2005 along with his hard drive. This is only the surface gentlemen.
    It is this part of the story that I'm curious about... This came out originally, then has since not been talked about. I am a conspiracy theorist... and while I have no inclination that Joe Pa had anything whatsoever to do with this DA's murder, I do wonder if his disappearance has anything to do with this case. Not saying even Sandusky had anything to do with it... but I just wonder. I had heard that this had the potential to lead to powerful sources well beyond Jerry Sandusky or even Penn St.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LouSteel
    He was an old man. Most People of that generation really can't deal with things of this nature.

Even if you could make the case that he 100 percent should have gone outside on his own (against the law)... it does not negate every great thing he has ever done.
    1. I'm pretty sure that everyone of every age knows that if a child is being raped they should call the police. Saying that people of that generation can't handle it is a disgusting way to pass the buck, and frankly, should offend every person of that age.

2. You're 100% wrong - if he picked up the phone and called the police he WOULD NOT be breaking the law. I challenge you to show me proof of the contrary. I don't know of any mandatory reporting law anywhere that says "you MUST tell your boss but you MUST NOT call the police." That's BS.

3. Allowing a child rapist to run free is pretty much exactly the definition of "negating every great thing" you've done.

You're letting your love for Penn State cloud your judgement on this one. Joe Pa's legacy was destroyed by his own desire to protect the Penn State brand over protecting children.
    Did you even read the article I referenced here? According to this report, HE DID NOTIFY THE POLICE. But, certainly, you shouldn't worry about the truth, the whole story, or due process, just read a Yahoo headline and form an opinion like most of this country. Or, just let some bloggers or sports writers set your moral compass.

Even when I put something right in front of you and tell you that you should read it, you skip it and rush to judgement. I hope you never serve on a jury.

Joe could have done more. He is not without fault. But, if this article is true, he certainly does not deserve the treatment he received. Instant information and short attention spans have led this country to set our opinions far too quickly. Just ask Big Ben about that.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    While rumors of sleeping with women while married is serious it's no where close to pedophile accusations.

It was witnessed.... he was forced to retire...

Everyone knows a pedophile doesn't stop and can't surpress that sickness. He has a charity with kids and takes trips to bowl games with them? Are you freaking kidding me?

There is no way I could have Sandusky anywhere near PSU if I'm Joe...
    You are really mixing up events. Sandusky retired in 99.
    The McQuery incident happened years later.

Joe testified that he knew nothing about the earlier incident hence it had nothing to do with Sandusky's retirement.

At the time of the Mcquery incident, Sandusky DID NOT work for Joe.. Joe had no authority over him - Curley did.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    Anyone who works for a school or educational entity is considered a mandatory reporter. Joe did follow the University procedure but he did not follow legal statute.
    by calling the Police, he not only violates PA law, he violates Penn State procedures. So, instead of being crucified by the mass media, he gets fired immediately for not following the procedures that the State has laid out, and he is liable in a lawsuit.

Joe Paterno did exactly what PA State Law requires. He reported it to his superiors.

Joe can't tell the University who can walk on campus. He was the football coach! The athletic department and the University are two different departments and they have two different budgets. Sandusky was a Professor Emeritus and his org chart reported to Spainer. Joe reported to Curley his boss the head of the Athletic Department, what he was told not what he witnessed. Joe was told that MM spoke with Shultz head of University Police and Curley. Who else can Joe report what he was told too?
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.