Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Pa's legacy

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Joe Pa's legacy

Hey everyone,

I read this article awhile back. I'm not sure why it didn't get more pub as it seems to show that Joe did more than was originally thought when it comes to the Jerry Sandusky incident. Sure, he could have and should have done more. But, for me, this article was an important read.

Anyway, I was just thinking about his career this morning and remembered this article. I was wondering if it ever ended up on this site. In case it hasn't, please read.

[url="http://www.thepostgame.com/commentary/201112/did-we-get-it-wrong-joe-paterno"]http://www.thepostgame.com/commentary/2 ... oe-paterno[/url]

Thanks,
    steelblood
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Joe Pa's legacy

I think his legacy will be forever tarnished. He'll be the guy who destroyed PSU.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    I think his legacy will be forever tarnished. He'll be the guy who destroyed PSU.
    unrightfully so...

Backup

User Info Menu

Tarnished, justly.

I do not recommend this but if you have a strong stomach and the ability to selectively forget horrifying moments in your life, then read the Sandusky indictment. Joe Pa new about this guy for years. This demented soul didn't really seek to hide his activity. Sandusky was insulated by the prestige of Penn State to the point that even law enforcement is imo,culpable to this tragedy.

In the indictment a janitor who was a Korean or Vietnam war vet and saw his buddies vaporized and mangled to pieces before his own eyes, would later lose his sanity not do to the horrors of war some decades prior but instead from the evil acts he witnessed Sandusky engaging in with a little boy in the showers. They had to call EMS for this man because he nearly had a heart attack on the spot.

Joe Pa knew about this "class act" boy rapist and allowed it to go own. You hear about this kind out activity and it does not become the most important thing in your life, beyond food, sleep, careers, personal safety, everything. Then something is sadly wrong. He didn't follow through to the end and Joe Pa knew he was guilty of this. This is a remarkable failure.

And for those of us who are not afraid please notice that the last DA who investigated Sandusky has never been found since 2005 along with his hard drive. This is only the surface gentlemen. And Joe Pa knew, because sandusky was open with his behavior, he was connected to very powerful people who probably enjoyed the same sick hobby. Tarnished is not strong enough.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You connect alot of dots in thinking Joe knew all this stuff. That was just not the case. And most likely you are just trying to take another shot at PSU while they are down.

He's tarnished, but is gone now. It won't affect him.

Nor is PSU gone. It is a fine educational institution. Always will be. It will have to heal some wounds, but bigger wounds have been healed in this world.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

JoePa was a GREAT, GREAT person who did many wonderful things for his players, Penn State, and a variety of other people/organizations over decades of time.

He did what he was legally supposed to do in this case. Should/could he have done more -- possibly. Although the same law that required him to report it also specifies reporting in the chain of command. (e.g. Not go outside directly).

The people that were SUPPOSED to address it screwed up/dropped the ball. Jerry Sandusky is the true VILLAIN - not JoePa.

He was vilified and crucified by ESPN and the press and fired unceremoniously by the board of trustees that should have had his back.

He was an old man. Most People of that generation really can't deal with things of this nature.

Even if you could make the case that he 100 percent should have gone outside on his own (against the law)... it does not negate every great thing he has ever done.
    And all the while the PITT PANTARD HATERS come out of the woodwork and make all kinds of vile jokes (JoePed, PedState).. acting indignant and somehow feeling vindicated.

I used to not mind Pitt people - now I think most are classess Pantards that can go to hell. Seriously.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    He was an old man. Most People of that generation really can't deal with things of this nature.

Even if you could make the case that he 100 percent should have gone outside on his own (against the law)... it does not negate every great thing he has ever done.
    1. I'm pretty sure that everyone of every age knows that if a child is being raped they should call the police. Saying that people of that generation can't handle it is a disgusting way to pass the buck, and frankly, should offend every person of that age.

2. You're 100% wrong - if he picked up the phone and called the police he WOULD NOT be breaking the law. I challenge you to show me proof of the contrary. I don't know of any mandatory reporting law anywhere that says "you MUST tell your boss but you MUST NOT call the police." That's BS.

3. Allowing a child rapist to run free is pretty much exactly the definition of "negating every great thing" you've done.

You're letting your love for Penn State cloud your judgement on this one. Joe Pa's legacy was destroyed by his own desire to protect the Penn State brand over protecting children.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LouSteel

1. I'm pretty sure that everyone of every age knows that if a child is being raped they should call the police. Saying that people of that generation can't handle it is a disgusting way to pass the buck, and frankly, should offend every person of that age.

2. You're 100% wrong - if he picked up the phone and called the police he WOULD NOT be breaking the law. I challenge you to show me proof of the contrary. I don't know of any mandatory reporting law anywhere that says "you MUST tell your boss but you MUST NOT call the police." That's BS.

3. Allowing a child rapist to run free is pretty much exactly the definition of "negating every great thing" you've done.

You're letting your love for Penn State cloud your judgement on this one. Joe Pa's legacy was destroyed by his own desire to protect the Penn State brand over protecting children.

A If you were making the argument for McQuery who actually WITNESSED it first hand, then you are correct .. but someone who has it reported.. it is a different matter.

B There is still some amount of ambiguity in what McQuery specifically told Joe.

C You may make the argument that he made a mistake and many good people make mistakes that don't wipe out a lifetime off good. -- but a lot PANTARDS are saying he was involved in a conspiracy .. it was money based.. second mile was pimping out kids on the side, etc. They can get bent...
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LouSteel

A If you were making the argument for McQuery who actually WITNESSED it first hand, then you are correct .. but someone who has it reported.. it is a different matter.

B There is still some amount of ambiguity in what McQuery specifically told Joe.

C You may make the argument that he made a mistake and many good people make mistakes that don't wipe out a lifetime off good. -- but a lot PANTARDS are saying he was involved in a conspiracy .. it was money based.. second mile was pimping out kids on the side, etc. They can get bent...
    1. BS. BS BS BS. At the absolute worse the police would say "hey, we investigated and nothing came of it". Do you realize how incredibly stupid this sounds? "The police have a law that says you have to report child abuse... but they make it illegal to report child abuse, so,"

2. You're grasping for straws. Joe knew enough. Read the jury papers if you have enough of a stomach for this.

3. There's mistakes and there's COVERING UP CHILD RAPE. Think. I don't care if you're Mother freaking Theresa, if you know about child rape and do what Joe Pa did, I don't give two ****s what else you did -- you are a terrible human being.

Dude, the fact that you're worrying about what fans of another sports team are saying shows me just how wrong you are on this. This isn't about Pitt or PSU, this isn't about football -- this is about allowing a monster to prey on children.

Legend

User Info Menu

Tarnished forever...
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"