Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So Who's Next??

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

So Who's Next??

Now that the restructures are done on Woodley and Timmons, which we all knew were coming. Plus, BMac and Arnaz Battle being cut, which we also knew was coming. Who is the next player on the chopping block? There is a solid list of candidates, for sure!!!

1) Aaron Smith - sad to say but the end has come and gone!
    2) James Farrior - too slow and cannot go sideline to sideline like he used to!
    3) Larry Foote - wouldn't mind seeing him back but at a reduced rate.
    4) Casey Hampton - 3 knee injuries for a 35 year old NT.....I'll pass!!!
    5) Hines Ward - seemed to really drop off in production and lost the ability to seperate.
    6) Will Allen - just overpaid.
    7) Chris Kemoeatu - yes, I know he should be much higher on the candidate list but I forget about him!!!
    8 ) Willie Colon??? I doubt it but stranger things have happened!!

For most of these guys, I will be very sad to see them go, well some of them anyways. They have been part of the cornerstone of the Steelers for a decade or more. I just feel the time has come for the torch to be passed and the younger guys on this squad to step to the forefront. I would expect most or all of these guys to be gone before September. Who do you guys think will be the first one to go??
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: So Who's Next??

Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel
    Now that the restructures are done on Woodley and Timmons, which we all knew were coming. Plus, BMac and Arnaz Battle being cut, which we also knew was coming. Who is the next player on the chopping block? There is a solid list of candidates, for sure!!!

1) Aaron Smith - sad to say but the end has come and gone!
    2) James Farrior - too slow and cannot go sideline to sideline like he used to!
    3) Larry Foote - wouldn't mind seeing him back but at a reduced rate.
    4) Casey Hampton - 3 knee injuries for a 35 year old NT.....I'll pass!!!
    5) Hines Ward - seemed to really drop off in production and lost the ability to seperate.
    6) Will Allen - just overpaid.
    7) Chris Kemoeatu - yes, I know he should be much higher on the candidate list but I forget about him!!!
    8 ) Willie Colon??? I doubt it but stranger things have happened!!

For most of these guys, I will be very sad to see them go, well some of them anyways. They have been part of the cornerstone of the Steelers for a decade or more. I just feel the time has come for the torch to be passed and the younger guys on this squad to step to the forefront. I would expect most or all of these guys to be gone before September. Who do you guys think will be the first one to go??
    Unfortunately, I think that Aaron Smith is next. I also believe that they might cut and then resign Hampton for depth, but I'm not sure if that helps the cap situation or not. I think Foote gets another year with the black and gold; Kemo has to go at some point, not because od salary, but because of brain cramps.

Farrior and Ward may redo and play for vet minimum as depth if possible, if not, they'll two of the last to go, IMHO.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

I think if they can get under the cap for NFL purposes they will do this with the restructures and cut guys that don't sky rocket the dead money to the point of further cap armageddon. Folks like Kemo will be post June 1 cuts because they don't save enough versus the cap and can't spread out the hit the way you can post June 1st. Hampton may get the axe I don't think he has enough room to restructure and be much savings from the articles I have read.

You can't really just start cutting a bunch because then you leave the holes that have to be filled by at least a minimum guy for that Rule of 51 that kicks in at begining of each league year and if you didn't save enough to begin with plus about $490,000 then you haven't made any headway because you have lost a body and not saved any money. I think probably Roethlisberger restructure from my understanding and possible extension to make the restructure stretch farther will get us to the cap but still no room for Wallace tender; which most assume will happen.

Been trying to get the info from various sources not many that allow us to share back here. I also believe they don't like having to restructure but next year the TV revenues kick back in and its a gamble that the cap will increase dramatically so we really need to weather this storm for now and will be a very exciting off season all the way around.

Legend

User Info Menu

Will Allen & Jonathon Scott kind of jump out a bit.

The longer it takes for Aaron Smith to say he's retiring, the more Chadman thinks he might not be.

Hampton will be one of the last cuts, if he is cut- as Chadman is sure they'll want him to stick around if possible. Farrior & Foote will be hand-in-hand situations- one stays & one goes most likely.

Now that Haley is on board- maybe Ward is the next to restructure- if Haley wants Ward to stick around.

Kemo will last for as long as it takes to get Legs & Foster re-signed. They won't go into the draft with 0 OG's signed up for next season. Could he get extended? Quite possible..
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

Legend

User Info Menu

this guy should be next, and I'm not referring to Ben...

Ben Roethlisberger #7 of the Pittsburgh Steelers escapes the rush while Chris Kemoeatu #68 holds Kyle Williams #95 of the Buffalo Bills
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Starter

User Info Menu

Someone explain to me why we can't cut Farrior AND Foote? Sly knows the playbook. And he is faster and more athletic than Foote. So what is Foote's purpose? Depth? How about drafting a stud like Bobby Wagner in the 2nd round? That is true depth. Right now Farrior and Foote are two old slow guys who know the playbook but don't make any big plays. And then we wonder why our run defense sucks.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledSteeler
    Someone explain to me why we can't cut Farrior AND Foote? Sly knows the playbook. And he is faster and more athletic than Foote. So what is Foote's purpose? Depth? How about drafting a stud like Bobby Wagner in the 2nd round? That is true depth. Right now Farrior and Foote are two old slow guys who know the playbook but don't make any big plays. And then we wonder why our run defense sucks.

They could- but it's unlikely. The Steelers have really given no indication they feel Sylvester is ready- no increase in actual playing time, no coach coming out & saying he's the future- nothing.

How often do you see the Steelers go into a season with a wholly untested player being expected to step in as a starter?

It'll be Farrior, or Foote. The question is- do they see Sylvester as the ILB of the future or not? The draft should tell- if they add an ILB early, Chadman guesses we have our answer.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Kemo to NT. Discuss...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Can you imagine a year in which we would have to pay Wood, Timmons, Troy, and Deebo 10-13 million each and Ben 20 million? That would be about 70 million, more than half the cap on 5 players. Salary cap hell is not pleasant.

Enough restructuring. Time to trim the fat around here!
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledSteeler

They could- but it's unlikely. The Steelers have really given no indication they feel Sylvester is ready- no increase in actual playing time, no coach coming out & saying he's the future- nothing.

How often do you see the Steelers go into a season with a wholly untested player being expected to step in as a starter?

It'll be Farrior, or Foote. The question is- do they see Sylvester as the ILB of the future or not? The draft should tell- if they add an ILB early, Chadman guesses we have our answer.

I really think the Steelers will, and should, keep one of those guys. Neither of those guys is the player they were, but both know the defense and call the plays when in the game.

Having Farrior or Foote to tutor a rookie ILB for a year would be worthwhile. If Sylvester was the answer, I assume he would have been pushing for playing time, but I haven't seen it, yet.