Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Gay Marriage Be Legal?

Legend

User Info Menu

Should Gay Marriage Be Legal?

Lots of talk about gays getting married these days. And I've seen the majority are against it.

That's pretty lame that our gov't is spending time/tax dollars on this issue.

Most against it claim they think this way because of their religious beliefs. That's a shame. Religion is more screwed up than politics. People want religious freedoms. But they also want to decide right and wrong for others effectively taking away their own religious freedoms.

That seems like a slippery slope. The same people using religion are losing their religion. Take away another man's freedom and you may lose your own.

Plus who doesn't think lesbians are cool?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Re: Should Gay Marriage Be Legal?

Gay marriage falls into the how does it affect me category.

It doesn't, I couldn't care less, and the government has bigger and better things to worry about.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Flippy, you have hit the nail on the head on this issue as far as I am concerned. Every state in the country recognizes as legally binding marriages which are conducted as religious services and yet certain pairs of individuals are not permitted to stand before the god they worship and enter into a legally binding union/marriage with the person they love.

Whatever the definition of marriage has been over the years, we recognize that marriage is an element of religious life and we can't really say that we have religious freedom/religious equality if we deny it to some but allow it for others.

Just my 2 cents.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

My wife and I have been married for a dozen years now. We know another couple who have been together for at least 20 years. Just because those two are both named "Dave" are they not supposed to be "married" any more than my wife and I are?

We go over there every so often to play cards, pool, shuffleboard, or just talk football smack sometimes...the one Dave is originally from the Boston area and is a big Pats fan...in fact, one of their dogs is named Brady. I remember watching the Tuck rule game at their house, and actually was rooting for New England that night (*shudder*), since they weren't the Evil Empire yet while the Raiders were still the freaking Raiders.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

I'm personally reluctant to see marriage redefined away from the traditional model. I do not dislike gay people or wish to punish them and it's not a religious conviction either. I just think messing around with things like this can have negative long-term consequences for society. But it sure seems the cat is out of the bag at this point and over time gay marriage will be legal throughout the US.

From a legal standpoint, I really don't see how we can constitutionally restrict the redefinition to gays alone. Seems once you open the flood gates, equal protection would kick in. It will be interesting to see how many gay marriage proponents will also favor legalization of polygamy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCHammer
    It will be interesting to see how many gay marriage proponents will also favor legalization of polygamy.
    Why is polygamy illegal anyway?

If a guy wants to have a bunch of wives, I say go for it. A team of wives makes a lot of sense on many levels to me.

Starter

User Info Menu

What if Mrs. Flippy brought home another husband?

Legend

User Info Menu

A shorter honey-do list for flippy.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    A shorter honey-do list for flippy.
    Exactly, he can do all the stuff I try to avoid.

Although it's not like a woman can get pregnant multiple times simultaneously, so I get the 1 man to many wives a little better.

Plus it'd be cooler if she brought home another woman

Legend

User Info Menu

back on topic... as long as it's not a "chuck and larry" thing, i'm good with it.

i.e., don't be a couple of college dudes who are roommates and go on the same health insurance as me, jacking up my premiums...

if it's legit, then i got no problem.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville