Thread: Rank the Players In Terms of Importance to Winning #7

Legend

User Info Menu

Rank the Players In Terms of Importance to Winning #7

Who's the most important Steeler? Who's the least? Rank em. Top 25 players on the roster that need to make an impact.

1. Ben
    2. Troy
    3. Harrison
    4. Woodley
    5. Ike
    6. Keisel
    7. Timmons
    8. Hood
    9. Heyward
    10. Miller
    11. Saunders
    12. Pouncey
    13. Gilbert
    14. Gay
    15. Brown
    16. Wallace
    17. Sanders
    18. Cotchery
    19. Clark
    20. Allen
    21. Curtis Brown
    22. Redman
    23. Mendy
    24. Kapinos
    25. Sushi

I don't know who all will be back or who is healthy? Hampton, Farrior, Foote, Max, Cotch, Ward, etc. Or who will be emerging Sanders, Saunders, Allen, Brown, etc.

But the bottom line, the key to success is the play by Ben + Troy + Defensive front 7. Then I'd say our TEs are the next most important. Followed by the Oline. And then the skill guys - WRs/CBs. And lastly the RBs.

When I look at our roster, we have a bunch of good players, but 3 stars in Ben, Troy, and Deebo.

And when I think about how we improve our team, I am left with one question, do we improve our weakness or our strength?

It's obvious we need to improve our OLine. But will that help overall as much as improving our D? I'm leaning to wanting our 4th star player.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Rank the Players In Terms of Importance to Winning #7

Most important for next season?

25 is too many...here's Chadman's TOP 10-

1. Ben- Duh.

2. Harrison- Ahead of Troy only because the Steelers need his pass rushing to get back to where it was.

3. Troy- not much between Troy & Harrison.

4. Gilbert- Huh?? Moves from RT to LT. The Steelers can't afford a drop-off in play level. His role next season is vital.

5. Pouncey- Steelers need to get better along the OL. The best player on that line needs to lift his game & lead the way.

6. Hampton- or whoever replaces Hampton. Smith & Hoke are gone. Keisel is getting old. The NT position is probably the focal point of a 3-4 defense. If the play of the NT deteriorates, the play of the ILB's behind him suffers.

7. Mendenhall- The Steelers will be trying to pound the ball more. Redman is the fan favourite at the moment- but Mendy is still the #1. With improved play from the OL (hope!), a more crucial role for Mendy is in the works.

8. Brett Keisel- regardless of Hampton coming back or not, Keisel will be one of the senior players on the team. His leadership on the field will set the tone for what could be a much younger team in 2012.

9. Woodley- like Harrison, he needs to get more pressure on the QB this year.

10. Willie Colon- The Steelers will be relying on Colon to step in at RT & be a leader for the OL. He's paid like one, after all. If the team really does want to be more blue collar, better blocking up front is vital.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

1. Ben
    2. Troy
    3. Gilbert
    4. Harrison
    5. Keenan Lewis/Cortez Allen (or whoever starts opposite Ike)
    6. Ike
    7. Timmons
    8. Colon
    9. Heyward
    10. Curtis Brown (or nickel back)
    11. Mcclendon (or NT)
    12. Woodley
    13. Keisel
    14. Hood
    15. Brown
    16. Wallace
    17. Pouncey
    18. Redman/Mendy (whoever our starting RB is)
    19. RG
    20. LG
    21. RILB
    22. Clark or starting FS
    23. Sanders
    24. Punter
    25. Kicker
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    Who's the most important Steeler? Who's the least? Rank em. Top 25 players on the roster that need to make an impact.

1. Ben
    2. Troy
    3. Harrison
    4. Woodley
    5. Ike
    6. Keisel
    7. Timmons
    8. Hood
    9. Heyward
    10. Miller
    11. Saunders
    12. Pouncey
    13. Gilbert
    14. Gay
    15. Brown
    16. Wallace
    17. Sanders
    18. Cotchery
    19. Clark
    20. Allen
    21. Curtis Brown
    22. Redman
    23. Mendy
    24. Kapinos
    25. Sushi

I don't know who all will be back or who is healthy? Hampton, Farrior, Foote, Max, Cotch, Ward, etc. Or who will be emerging Sanders, Saunders, Allen, Brown, etc.

But the bottom line, the key to success is the play by Ben + Troy + Defensive front 7. Then I'd say our TEs are the next most important. Followed by the Oline. And then the skill guys - WRs/CBs. And lastly the RBs.

When I look at our roster, we have a bunch of good players, but 3 stars in Ben, Troy, and Deebo.

And when I think about how we improve our team, I am left with one question, do we improve our weakness or our strength?

It's obvious we need to improve our OLine. But will that help overall as much as improving our D? I'm leaning to wanting our 4th star player.
    Just curious as to why you have the backup TE as being more important than any of our wideouts or o-linemen or running backs.

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'll take a different approach, for the Steelers to win number 7 next year Brn and Troy are one and two you can put them in the order that you see fit. They both need to be healthy and play in all 16 regular season games and the playoffs at 90% or better.

After that, based on what will be happening to the team due to retirement, cuts, and decline in play due to age I believe that Heyward and Hood, followed by Gilbert and Pouncey are the keys.

We know we need the veterans to perform at All-Pro levels that's a given, but with HOke gone, Smith to follow and Hampton a reduced role or cut the Steelers will need Hood and Heyward to become close to pro-bowl DEs next year.

After that or equal to that Gilbert needs to continue to improve and Pouncey needs to stay healthy to help limit the pressure form the middle on Ben.

So, for me:

Ben
    Troy
    Hood
    Heyward
    Pouncey
    Gilbert

The vets aren't going to be there any longer on defense the younguns need to become as good as those guys were very soon. Harrison and Woodley will be there, that's a given or as close to a given as you can have, so it will be incumbent on the young players to become the players the Steelers believed they would when they drafted them.

If players 3 through 6 are only average or above average the Steelers will be average or slightly above average on both sides of the ball. On defense they'll be susceptible to the run and on offense, Ben will be injured and not playing effectively for an entire season if Pouncey and Gilbert don't play well.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Just curious as to why you have the backup TE as being more important than any of our wideouts or o-linemen or running backs.

To me it's positional importance/impact more than anything.

TEs are the second most important position on the offense after QB. They run/pass block. They open up the running game pulling LBs out of the box. They open up the receiving routes by pulling away LBs/Ss from the outside. I view them as an extended part of the OLine.

Of course Saunders has to develop and become good. He's not as good a player as any of the others listed below him.

I probably should move him down a notch below Farrior/Foote/Sly/replacement at ILB. I just wasn't sure who that is.