Thread: Steelers Interested In Alex Van Pelt as QB coach

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Interested In Alex Van Pelt as QB coach

Pittsburgh Steelers Interested In Alex Van Pelt, According To Report

by Alfie Crow
    Jan 30

The Pittsburgh Steelers are one of a handfull of teams that have expressed interest in quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt, according to a report by Jason La Canfora of NFL Network.

Alex Van Pelt is also interviewing with the Bears for the QB coaching job. The Rams, Colts and Steelers have inquired as well.

Van Pelt spend the 2010 and 2011 seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but was released with the rest of their coaching staff when Raheem Morris was fired. Prior to Van Pelt's position with the Bucs, he held the same position with the Buffalo Bills for two seasons, including doubling as the offensive coordinator for the Bills in 2009.

Van Pelt also had a stint as a quarterback in the NFL, being an eighth round draft pick of the PIttsburgh Steelers in the 1993 draft, but failed to make the opening day roster. He spent one season with the Kansas City Chiefs, but then held a long career as a back up quarterback for the Buffalo Bills from 1994 to 2003.

[url="http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2012/1/30/2759523/pittsburgh-steelers-interested-in-alex-van-pelt-according-to-report"]http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsbur ... -to-report[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers Interested In Alex Van Pelt as QB coach

Might be indication that they're leaning toward Fichtner as the OC.

Legend

User Info Menu

TUESDAY, JANUARY 31, 2012

Coaching wheels turning

Mike Tomlin met with Todd Haley on Tuesday as he continues his search for a new offensive coordinator.

Previously, Tomlin met with former Indianapolis Colts head coach Jim Caldwell, who was later hired as QB coach by Baltimore.

According to the NFL Network, meanwhile, the Steelers have also made some inquiries regarding former Pitt QB Alex Van Pelt.

Van Pelt, a 1993 draft pick of the Steelers who never played with the team, was most recently QB coach in Tampa Bay. He previously served as a QB coach and offensive coordinator in Buffalo.

It's likely, however, the Steelers are interested in Van Pelt as a quarterbacks coach if they choose to elevate current quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner.

One other name that could surface in Tomlin's search is current University of Colorado offensive coordinator Rip Scherer.

Scherer, like Tomlin, is a graduate of William & Mary and is the cousin of Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert.

The 59-year-old Scherer served as assistant head coach of the Cleveland Browns from 2005 through 2008 and quarterbacks coach in Carolina in 2009 and 2010.

© The news that Keith Butler decided to stay with the Steelers rather than accept the defensive coordinator position in Indianapolis isn't all that surprising.

Butler continues to be the leading candidate to eventually replace Dick LeBeau as defensive coordinator with the Steelers – though when that happens is anyone's best guess – and his family likes it in Pittsburgh.

© The Steelers have given Tampa Bay permission to talk to current defensive assistant Jerry Olsavsky, while also granting offensive assistant Harold Goodwin permission to speak with Indianapolis and Chicago about openings.

UPDATE: Goodwin was hired as Indianapolis' offensive line coach on Tuesday.

Both are good men and quality coaches who deserve shots to become position coaches.

In fact Goodwin stepped in as the Steelers running backs coach when Kirby Wilson was injured in the fire in his home a few days before the team's playoff loss at Denver.

Speaking of Wilson, according to Lance Zierlein, who runs a great blog out of the Houston area, his father, former Steelers offensive line coach Larry Zierlein, said that Wilson is now sitting up and doing much better.

He still faces a long road to recovery.

posted by Dale Lolley

[url="http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/"]http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Speaking of Wilson, according to Lance Zierlein, who runs a great blog out of the Houston area, his father, former Steelers offensive line coach Larry Zierlein, said that Wilson is now sitting up and doing much better.
    Well that's good news. Keep fightin', coach Kirby!!!
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

So let me get this straight. We want a QB coach who coached a QB in Tampa who has been underachieving? Nah...I think I would pass.
    Trolls are people too.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I don't know...last year was a decent year for Freeman...

This year, he increased his completion percentage and yardage, but threw more INTs...is that all on Van Pelt?

If you're going to tear him down for this year, you should give him his props for last year...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Freeman also had a weird thumb injury that he re-injured at the gun range.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick

This year, he increased his completion percentage and yardage, but threw more INTs...is that all on Van Pelt?

If you're going to tear him down for this year, you should give him his props for last year...
    Good point. Freeman exceeded expectations in 2010 before regressing in 2011. Both pieces of that equation should be considered.

Tampa as a whole disappointed last year as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick

IMO and the opinion of many NFL "experts" Freeman has all the tools to become a franchise QB. This season was deemed a disappointment by many as many of us expected him to be further in his development at this stage. While I do not believe this is all on Van Pelt, I don't see the resume I would want from a future QB coach. Just my 2 cents.
    Trolls are people too.