Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What does Bruce Arians know that you don’t know?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What does Bruce Arians know that you don’t know?

There was a sticky thread about that now it is gone.

Hope this is not it, good read I think. And backs up my idea on the wait till 1 sec to snap the ball.

[url="http://www.postgameheroes.com/"]http://www.postgameheroes.com/[/url]

By Dutch, on January 25th, 2012
    Arians bashers are often criticized by a general statement that goes something like this. “You as a fan don’t know what he knows.”

And there is some truth to this.

The problem is that the statement never gets into specifics because the accuser is just playing an assuming role and rarely knows much more about the subject themselves.

Just listen to the Terry Foxx radio network in Pittsburgh and you undoubtedly catch onto this. But I digress.

So what does Arians know about the offense that others simply don’t quite understand?

Here it is.

In 2003, the Steelers ran a more up tempo offense with Maddox at QB. The downside to running an up-tempo offense is that unless you’re really committed to running the football, (and that era of football is over) you will leave yourself open to quick three and outs. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that the problem with this is that your defense can find itself having been on the field way to long by the end of game/season. This is why you will often see teams get off to successful starts to begin a season, only to fall fade as the year goes on. There were times the Miami Dolphins in the Marino era struggled with this. His fast temp and quick strike offense just exhausted his defense by the end of the season.

The Steelers defense; Troy Polamalu has often said that their defense is not designed to be on the field for long periods of time due to its attacking scheme.

Arians understands this more than anyone does.

Fans get annoyed when they see Roethlisberger let the play clock run down to 1-2 seconds each time. But that is all by design to help the Steelers defense. But even Roethlisberger would like to speed up the tempo. That is why you hear the yearly request Ben makes to Arians about running more no huddle. Ben is basically saying he would like to speed up the tempo because he will perform better. All quarterbacks would like to play fast. A fast tempo allows a QB to keep in rhythm.

The way the fans thinking often goes is that Arians is a selfish bastard that just doesn’t want to give up his play calling duties.

But that is ridiculous!

Arians knows that his slow tempo offense is the best match for the Steelers defense even if that slow tempo will sometimes keep their average points per game down and not give his QB the best chance at getting into a nice rhythm. It has nothing to do with his coveted play calling duties. This is why the Steelers offense often looks disoriented or “ugly but effective”.

Arians also knows that Roethlisberger is talented enough to play the game at that tempo, while most quarterbacks would simply be way too inefficient.

It’s kind of like playing golf for 3.5 hours by going hole to hole and shot for shot without having to wait. There is a good chance that you will play better than having to sit for 15 minutes on every hole and end up in a 6 hour round.

It is hard to remain efficient in that environment.

But the heavily talented Roethlisberger can play that game. In fact, this is one of his incredible hidden playing traits that often go unmentioned. Roethlisberger is much better than what the fans and media are led to believe.

In the end, Arians offense is designed to match the high energy attacking style of the unique defense the Steelers like to play.

Football is the one sport where the offense and the defense really are designed to cooperate with each other.

Arians knows this very well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: What site are we not to post links from?

Steelers depot

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: What site are we not to post links from?

Thank you.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: What does Bruce Arians know that you don’t know?

Maybe Arians wasn't stupid after all
    User Rating: / 11
    PoorBest
    MONDAY, 30 JANUARY 2012 00:30 WRITTEN BY BOB SMIZIK
    My weekly chat at PG+ begins at noon today.

The critics of Bruce Arians, and they are many, felt vindicated for their long-standing criticism of the man when he was relieved of his duties as Steelers offensive coordinator earlier this month by no less an authority than team president Art Rooney.

Here it was -- proof at last -- that Arians was incompetent. It was as though five years of winning football, including two trips to the Super Bowl, never happened.

Then came word Saturday that maybe Arians wasn’t the completely disrespected dunce that his critics like to portray him as. It was reported and confirmed that the Indianapolis Colt had hired Arians to be their offensive coordinator.

What was particularly impressive about this job was the man who offered it -- new Colts coach Chuck Pagano. For the previous four years, Pagano had been on the defensive staff of the Baltimore Ravens. He went up against Arians twice a year in one of the most fiercely contested rivalries in the NFL.

Few opponents knew Arians as well as Pagano. And he wanted Arians running his offense. That is a tremendous compliment.

On a much smaller scale of vindication was the report that the infamous bubble screen, which critics derided as proof positive of Arians inflexibility and incapability, actually was a fairly effective play. While some fans couldn’t get over how often Arians called that particular play, it turns out the bubble screen was averaging 6.2 yards per attempt. In other words, instead of being ridiculed for calling that play, Arians should have been lauded.

Gerry Dulac had an excellent take on the offensive coordinator’s job in the Sunday editions of the Post-Gazette. It gave a good idea of how hard these guys prepare and how much information they have available that fans and reporters do not.

In the story Dulac quoted long-time Steelers assistant Dick Hoak, who declined an offer years ago to become Tony Dungy’s OC at Tampa Bay, about why the job is so tough.

"If you did something wrong in a game, they don't look at the 59 plays you did right," Hoak said. "They looked at the one play that went bad."

I have defended Arians over the years, not because I thought he was the best offensive coordinator, but because I thought the charges against him were knee-jerk and unfair.

I did call for replacing him last month, but not based on his ``predictable’’ play calling or his unimaginative game plans, but because I thought quarterback Ben Roethlisberger needed to hear a new voice.

As for the predictability of Arians play-calling.

Over the past three seasons, the Steelers have been, on average, 10th in the NFL in yards per play, and that's behind a line widely believed to be below average. That might not be a great ranking, but it surely gives no indication of predictability. Either NFL defensive coordinators are not as smart as Arians critics or his calls are not predictable. I’m thinking it’s the latter.

Another charge against Arians is the Steelers lack of success in the red zone.

The Steelers were 17th in the NFL in red-zone touchdown percentage in 2011 at 50.9. That is not good and most of the teams below the Steelers had a lesser quarterback than Roethlisberger. Over the past three seasons, the Steelers also were 17th.

Again, not good, although I’m not sure it rises to the level of a fireable offense.

Arians won't be here to be kicked around next season but somehow I feel his replacement will serve the same purpose for some fans.

[url="http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/31724-final-take-on-arians"]http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazet ... -on-arians[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't buy the whole 'defense needed rest' excuse. Sure, if you are getting murdered where TOP is like a 6 minute mismatch then your D will be overworked, but get real....As far as I can tell we have one, maybe two defenders over .300 lbs and on offense we have 5 plus David Johnson goes about 270, same size as Keisel.

PS - Smiziks article is a joke. He should give up writing.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    I don't buy the whole 'defense needed rest' excuse. Sure, if you are getting murdered where TOP is like a 6 minute mismatch then your D will be overworked, but get real....As far as I can tell we have one, maybe two defenders over .300 lbs and on offense we have 5 plus David Johnson goes about 270, same size as Keisel.
    I agree but I've heard Troy say it all the time.... and in 2009 when we were pass happy the number one complaint was not giving the D rest and this is why they stunk in the 4th quarter.

The bubble screen average is hilarious though.... never liked it with Hines but the 6.2 average is another stat that proves fans see what they want to see. I guess it was the "timing" of the play call but it sure looked like a play designed to hide a bad OL.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't buy the whole 'defense needed rest' excuse.
    Me neither. If you really wanted to give the defense a rest, you would try to work in a lot more of a running game than BA ever did. As far as that being the reason the play clock is always allowed to run all the way down, that's ludicrous. So you're going to allow your opponent to time up the snap and punish your offense just so your defense can catch a few seconds more of a breather? How much did that help our "attacking defense" to attack opponents this past season?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    I agree but I've heard Troy say it all the time.... and in 2009 when we were pass happy the number one complaint was not giving the D rest and this is why they stunk in the 4th quarter.

The bubble screen average is hilarious though.... never liked it with Hines but the 6.2 average is another stat that proves fans see what they want to see. I guess it was the "timing" of the play call but it sure looked like a play designed to hide a bad OL.
    How many bubble screens did you see nearly get picked off, or picked off? The bubble screen cost us home field. People point to the D letting the Ravens drive down the field but the offense is just as responsible for it. How about Ben throwing a pick right to T-Siz when we are in the redzone on the bubble screen. Talk about being oblivious to the D...Ben threw the ball right at Siz chest!!!??? With some of the throws Ben makes I swear he has blind spots from the motorcycle wreck. How about the pick vs. the Pats where there was one linebacker standing by himself with nobody else around, including an offensive player, for 20 yards yet Ben throws a strike right into his chest.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=Mister Pittsburgh]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mister Pittsburgh":3ip3etdm

How many bubble screens did you see nearly get picked off, or picked off? The bubble screen cost us home field. People point to the D letting the Ravens drive down the field but the offense is just as responsible for it. How about Ben throwing a pick right to T-Siz when we are in the redzone on the bubble screen. Talk about being oblivious to the D...Ben threw the ball right at Siz chest!!!??? With some of the throws Ben makes I swear he has blind spots from the motorcycle wreck. How about the pick vs. the Pats where there was one linebacker standing by himself with nobody else around, including an offensive player, for 20 yards yet Ben throws a strike right into his chest.[/quote:3ip3etdm]

Ben is human...

throwing no look bubble screens or throwing to the other team is a problem Ben and other QB's have from time to time.

The bubble screen didn't cost us home field... Ben throwing a no look bubble screen and the D not stopping Flacco from driving 92 yards cost us home field advantage...You can also throw in a few other plays in games we lost as the reason we lost home field advantage.

How can one play cost us so much? Thinking like that makes one player or one coach into a goat.. it's not that simple.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[quote=feltdizz]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mister Pittsburgh":2d32m1tf

How many bubble screens did you see nearly get picked off, or picked off? The bubble screen cost us home field. People point to the D letting the Ravens drive down the field but the offense is just as responsible for it. How about Ben throwing a pick right to T-Siz when we are in the redzone on the bubble screen. Talk about being oblivious to the D...Ben threw the ball right at Siz chest!!!??? With some of the throws Ben makes I swear he has blind spots from the motorcycle wreck. How about the pick vs. the Pats where there was one linebacker standing by himself with nobody else around, including an offensive player, for 20 yards yet Ben throws a strike right into his chest.
    Ben is human...

throwing no look bubble screens or throwing to the other team is a problem Ben and other QB's have from time to time.

The bubble screen didn't cost us home field... Ben throwing a no look bubble screen and the D not stopping Flacco from driving 92 yards cost us home field advantage...You can also throw in a few other plays in games we lost as the reason we lost home field advantage.

How can one play cost us so much? Thinking like that makes one player or one coach into a goat.. it's not that simple.[/quote:2d32m1tf]

I know man....just responding to Smizdicks article and conclusion that the bubble screen is genius.
    @_Hellgrammite